Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Gigs in Limerick

• 02-05-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

I went with a friend to see this guy in Dolans last Sunday night.
    He played to an audience of......four:confused:

Is live music in Limerick dead? I know times are hard but still.... I thought there were more guitar lovers in a city the size of Limerick. What's wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

tippman1 wrote: »
    I went with a friend to see this guy in Dolans last Sunday night.
    He played to an audience of......four:confused:

Is live music in Limerick dead? I know times are hard but still.... I thought there were more guitar lovers in a city the size of Limerick. What's wrong?

Awkward. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this thread has more to do with live gigs in Limerick than 1 gig last week so I've renamed the topic. I also think this thread has great potential for positive feedback for anyone in Limerick thinking of setting up a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Awkward.

Poxyshamrock, Do you mean that music genre is awkward or Limerick is awkward
    or, God forbid...my post is awkward?

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

tippman1 wrote: »
    Poxyshamrock, Do you mean that music genre is awkward or Limerick is awkward
    or, God forbid...my post is awkward?

John.

Sorry should have been a bit clearer. I think it must have been a bit awkward for that chap to have got up and sang with just four people watching him. Must be a bit disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Sorry should have been a bit clearer. I think it must have been a bit awkward for that chap to have got up and sang with just four people watching him. Must be a bit disheartening.

He didn't sing. He's a serious classical guitarist. When he finished I joined him for a pint, and when he was ready to head back to Dublin, as the crowd didn't come, he received........zilch. He was pretty gutted alright. Two hours + of virtuoso playing for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dolans? He probably had top pay to book the gig as well. That's the case upstairs anyhow and downstairs I would assume as well. You would be lucky to break even putting on a gig these days. Limerick is too small to get crowds to gigs every night of the week, SUndays more so. I saw Clive Barnes and Jeff Lang on a Sunday in DOlans a few years back upstairs, and there were about 20 people there maybe. Jeff Lang is a SERIOUSLY talented guitarist. I am sure he prob still got paid, as he was touring around Ire and the UK, but you probably had SMyths rammed the same night with people watching some bland piece of sh*t covers band.
    Thing is, most people seem to go and see covers bands, not to hear the band, but to hear the songs. It could be trained monkeys singing if you think about it.
    I think people will only go and check out original music once it has been rammed down their throats on the radio or some "celeb" has told them it's cool and they should listen to it. Or else if they are "rides".
    Classical guitar is going to be pretty niche stuff as it is, but trying to get a crowd along on a SUnday night for it would be harder again. Plus the fact Dolans is a walk away from town..

Burkes has plenty of free gigs going on which seem to be popular, but are catering towards the more popular styles. I would doubt a classical guitarist would even get a crowd in Burkes apart from the walk in crowd and regulars........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Dolans is a great place, but unless i really want to see something on, I just wont wander all the way down there. Its easier stay up the other side of town.

Advertisement