Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difficulty with Irish accents abroad!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Still North or South, all better than a Midlands/Brummy accent:(

"Would you like a kipper tie?" for a cup of tea. I pity them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Yes, yes and yes.

When I visited the states when I was 15, we went into a fast food place. All was grand. The menu was a little different from what was home, but it was readable anyway.

My little sister was only about 8 at the time. she went up and asked for Chips, they of course arrive back with crisps. she shakes her head and says chips again, the girl looks at her puzzled and points to the bag. I turn to the girl and say, sorry she means fries. problem sorted. Next thing it says biscuits on the menu, little sister orders it, she gets a scone. Needless to say the burger she ordered was cooked quite rare,. she looks ready to cry at this stage. I just handed over the slice of pizza I had ordered, took the weird food she had ordered and starved for the evening. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I find those people laughable, and wonder whether the day will ever come that they realise that they sound like complete dicks.

It is incredibly embarrassing to hear young people talk in that manner as if it will earn them respect and esteem. I watched the film with the man from Dr Who recently called "adulthood" and the fact that the BBC decided to broadcast it was cringeworthy in itself.

I say let them get on with it though - they will get nowhere in life if they continue to speak in such an incomprehensible, confusing manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

summerskin wrote: »
    Northern boys love gravy.

I spent ten years living in london, it was like someone running their nails down a blackboard on a constant basis, having to listen to those accents. (that said my irish wife has a lovely soft west london accent after spending 20 years there)

Even worse is the new "patois" accent kids down there have, where "dey allz iz tinkin dey iz black, blud."

Most people I encounter in Central London have an incredibly neutral and refined English accent, even the bar staff!

• Administrators Posts: 54,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You all have it easy.

Think of us poor nordys. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Cringeeeeee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

bwatson wrote: »
    Most people I encounter in Central London have an incredibly neutral and refined English accent, even the bar staff!

Most of the bar staff I meet in London have a New South Wales accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Was in a pub in Dublin a few years ago at the bar and this guy two stools down looks at me and says something, so I smiled and nodded, took another sip of my pint and then still staring at me he said something again! I shook my head and said sorry, as I got up and turned to leave he held my wrist and took a look at my watch, he then smiled, och eye I c the teim reight "Ah I see you wanted the time" ok thats fine, cheers :))

I hadn't got a clue what he was saying in the beginning, my mates reckoned he was from Glasgow or Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

LordSutch wrote: »
    Was in a pub in Dublin a few years ago at the bar and this guy two stools down looks at me and says something, so I smiled and nodded, took another sip of my pint and then still staring at me he said something again! I shook my head and said sorry, as I got up and turned to leave he held my wrist and took a look at my watch, he then smiled, och eye I c the teim reight "Ah I see you wanted the time" ok thats fine, cheers :))

I hadn't got a clue what he was saying in the beginning, my mates reckoned he was from Glasgow or Belfast?

The Glasgow accent mixed with 25 pints of whatever is an acquired taste. Being an alkie, I'm fluent :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm an English teacher and I have a fairly strong accent which is a mix of Wicklow and working class Dublin. I've been told by several students that I have the strongest accent they've ever heard. It can cause quite a few problems in class.

That said, I've never had problems being understood by other native speakers, only on unfamiliar vocabulary.

Also, I wouldn't say there's any difficulty when dealing with other native speakers. In my experience, American girls in particular love an accent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PeterB11

cocokay wrote: »
    in new york my other half asked for to-mah-toes on his sandwich instead of to-may-toes and she looked at him like he had 2 heads, i had to repeat "to-may-toes" for her. they don't sound THAT different, do they? i thought it was a bit mad in a city like ny that has so many different nationalities all speaking with different accents & pronunciations :)

Mate of mine in London one time asked for "ta-mah-has".

To a response of "ta-what?!"

It can be a tricky one no matter where in the world you are :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What's with Clare Daly TD

Pure Dub accent

She's from Kildare!

I reckon it's put on, trying to be like the locals except she's taken it way too far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Only time I encountered difficulty in England was when seeking directions to the town of Bath. You must adopt an upper class accented pronunciation of the word to have any hope of been understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only time I encountered difficulty in England was when seeking directions to the town of Bath. You must adopt an upper class accented pronunciation of the word to have any hope of been understood.

They probably knew where the city of Bath was, but had never heard of the town of Bath, hence the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 quinny

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Really? Have lived in England for over 5 years and to the best of my knowledge rubber is exclusively used as slang for condom. The girl wasn't English though, although grew up there from an early age.

Never heard anyone use 'grand' (to mean fine, ok) other than the Irish

What part of England are you in? I'm in the west midlands and have just asked 5 of my English colleagues did they have a rubber and every one of them knew I meant an eraser. As for whoever said there are no Taytos in England that's incorrect, Asda have stocked them in the past and Home Bargains currently sell them for 20p a packet (though they are the Norn Irish ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

When I worked in Belfast, they didn't understand that when I said "press" I meant "cuboard", when I said "rashers" I meant "bacon" when I asked for a "bun on my burger" I was met with blank looks. When I tried to explain, I was told that a "bun" was always only ever a cake and what I should be asking for, was a "bap" for my burger.

Equally, it had to be explained to me that a fish supper was just fish and chips with mushy peas.

In Australia whe I worked for a credit card company, the customers could never understand when I asked them for their "card" number. "Code" number??? Oh, you mean you want my caaaaaaaaaaad number"

Eh yeah - you called me. About your CREDIT CARD!!!

I say half past two [for the time]
    In Yorkshire it was half while two

Meet you in the pub at half while eight
    Twas confusing until I got the hang of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

In Australia whe I worked for a credit card company, the customers could never understand when I asked them for their "card" number. "Code" number??? Oh, you mean you want my caaaaaaaaaaad number"

Eh yeah - you called me. About your CREDIT CARD!!!

Don't get me started on the Aussies....

Me- Can I have a coffee please
    Barman- Beeeeer it is
    Me- No, Coffffeeee
    Barman- Be earrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

What about Irish accents when speaking a foreign language. Last time I was in Paris, thought I'd be a bit swish and order "deux bieres".
    After a blank look from the barmaid I put up two fingers.....
    "Bieres, sil vous plait, Jaysus, Bee.....Airs????" Nothing.

I pointed at the stella Artois.

"Ohhhhh, BIERE monsieur! Je suis desole!"

Fúckin French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

teaching english in korea...first 2 months consisted of completely rearranging how i spoke.
    Slow everything down, and enunciate all the time. And that was only for the american co-teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Since moving to England i've found the way i say words beginning with "th" greatly amuses them particularly the way i say three.

No way am i changing the way i say it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

why do so many Irish people put on an Eastenders/Essex accent when mimicking an English accent.

85% of English people don't come from the South-East or speak like that, just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Since moving to England i've found the way i say words beginning with "th" greatly amuses them particularly the way i say three.

But maybe you are saying Tree instead of Three? in which case they may well be amused :))

Hate how they speak on Cornation Street, that Manchester/Lancashire accent

Worse then anything we have in Ireland.

If they give you hassle just tell them you fink they should shut it ya facking cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tirty tree parcent langar!

Also forgot to mention the "butter" conversations whilst working in Oz.

So I'd be in a cafe or restaurant trying to order a sandwhich and I don't eat butter so I'd politely ask if there was butter on the sandwich or I'd give my order and say "no butter please".

Well. The confusion was unreal.

Me: Does that come with butter on it?
    Waiter: Sorry what?
    Me: Sorry, butter. Is there butter on the sandwich?
    Waiter: I'm sorry, what?
    Me: Butter. Spread. I can't eat butter. Can I get no butter on the sandwich?
    Waiter: *very confused* Busher? I'm not sure what this is...?
    *Cue my friends pissing themselves laughing and me getting embarrassed*
    Me: No, buTTer. As in from the dairy, yellow stuff.
    *The waiter then starts eyeing me very suspiciously now cos my friends are laughing and he thinks I'm taking the piss out of him*
    Waiter: Sorry I don't know what you're talking about.
    Me: Badduh. No badduh (said in a completely awful Australian accent).
    Waiter: OHHHHHH you mean baaaaaduh! No, there's none on the sandwich.

Jesus. Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

So I'd be in a cafe or restaurant trying to order a sandwhich and I don't eat butter so I'd politely ask if there was butter on the sandwich or I'd give my order and say "no butter please".

*The waiter then starts eyeing me very suspiciously now cos my friends are laughing and he thinks I'm taking the piss out of him*

Jesus. Painful.

Lol at least you got your sandwich, I ordered a coffee and got a beer. Aussies.....

Jesus. Painful.

When Dublin people used to shop up North in their droves I got asked things like:
    Where's your buher?
    Do yeee sell Maaaaaaaarz Baaaaaaarz?

And you ask them if they want to use a Debit or Credit card? Lazer...
    So is that Debit or credit?
    Its lazer.
    Do you pay a bill each month or is it from a bank account?

You get these differences 10 miles down the road and the other side of the world!

• Advertisement

It's crazy all the different accents you can hear, just by goig a few miles down the road.

Slightly off topic but I always found it odd that you can have a Dublin accent and a Cork accent for example, which are two COMPLETELY different accents only 150 miles apart, yet in Australia, which is a massive country, you only get two types of accents: city accent and country accent. That's it. Why??

Ireland and the UK must have the most varied accents over such a small area, in the whole world. Like there's no comparison between a geordie accent and a brummie one. Sometimes it's hard to determine if they're even speaking English, yet they're not that far apart, distance-wise...where do accents come from and why so varied in our part of the world??

It's crazy all the different accents you can hear, just by goig a few miles down the road.

Slightly off topic but I always found it odd that you can have a Dublin accent and a Cork accent for example, which are two COMPLETELY different accents only 150 miles apart, yet in Australia, which is a massive country, you only get two types of accents: city accent and country accent. That's it. Why??

Ireland and the UK must have the most varied accents over such a small area, in the whole world. Like there's no comparison between a geordie accent and a brummie one. Sometimes it's hard to determine if they're even speaking English, yet they're not that far apart, distance-wise...where do accents come from and why so varied in our part of the world??

Compare North and South Armagh accents!
    Armagh City:

Culaville:

Slightly exaggerated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Some of my family up in the north of Donegal lay it on pretty thick. I generally don't have a problem with accents though.

RGM wrote: »
    Some of my family up in the north of Donegal lay it on pretty thick. I generally don't have a problem with accents though.

Girls with Donegal accents :eek::eek::eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Girls with Donegal accents :eek::eek::eek::p

I'm an American, therefore I like just about any accent. Especially on a girl.

OT: How does Ireland feel about Americans these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

I'm teaching English in Japan at the moment. I teach one to one lessons, so maybe 8/ 10 students a day. NONE of them can understand me when I say "fun" (which I say to nearly every one of them - "Was it fun?" etc.) or "often" (I have to pronounce it offen). This is mainly due to them learning English from Americans and English people.

I had similar issues with those 'u' sounds in Japan. I actually had a running gag going with some of my students about it. The fact that they are taught American English in school just made my life more difficult and I tried my best to convert them lol.

I found that many Japanese people though Irish people didn't speak English as a first language and the amount of people that mixed up Ireland and Iceland was amazing. For these reasons it was a little difficult to get private students.

Generally though students found me easy to understand and when I came home I found out why. Apparently I "lost" my Irish accent. I had an accent from "nowhere"! It's back now though!

RGM wrote: »
    I'm an American, therefore I like just about any accent. Especially on a girl.

OT: How does Ireland feel about Americans these days?

I have nothing against American's personally and sweeping generalisations make no sense anyway!
    As for other people, on TV we see the worst of America so the dumb, super-patriots stereotype is there.
    Once the American soldiers leave the middle east the popularity of American people here will go back to normal:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

kfallon wrote: »
    When abroad just keep saying 'Turty-tree and a turd' and you will forever be loved by those who inhabit the country you are visiting!

Also good for a laugh are the following:

Thursday
    Thought
    Thief
    Throw
    Through

etc etc

An English mate of mine used to make me say 'Turkey' over and over. Found it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

People struggle understanding my North Donegal accent in Galway of all places.. I've been shouted at at work 'Ere do ye speak English?' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You get some great reactions in America particularly in places not particulary used to foreigners. I spent some time in Tennessee. Went to McDonalds with an English friend and ordered. The girl behind the counter looked perplexed then suddenly ran off giggling. Eventually the supervisor appeared and apologised saying that she simply didn't understand word we said.

Another time in Vermont, a gang of us went into another fast food place. Our accents brought out the entire kitchen staff to have a look. But this time it was our turn for confusion when they asked us what 'side' we wanted. We had no idea what they were on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

xflyer wrote: »
    You get some great reactions in America particularly in places not particulary used to foreigners. I spent some time in Tennessee. Went to McDonalds with an English friend and ordered. The girl behind the counter looked perplexed then suddenly ran off giggling. Eventually the supervisor appeared and apologised saying that she simply didn't understand word we said.

Another time in Vermont, a gang of us went into another fast food place. Our accents brought out the entire kitchen staff to have a look. But this time it was our turn for confusion when they asked us what 'side' we wanted. We had no idea what they were on about.

Side dish?

• Administrators Posts: 54,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

xflyer wrote: »

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Australia surprisingly enough. thought i was american or mad, or both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The Irish accent is a fucking gift from God/Allah/Buddha/Spiderman.

The Americans, especially on the east coast, completely lap it up.

When I lived over there I had dudes wanting to buy me drinks and went out with some absolutely beautiful women. I am decent enough looking dude but these were way out of my league.

It took my work colleagues a while to become accustomed to my Dublin accent, though. Trying to explain to them that I didnt remember returning home to me gaff as I was locked out of me tree was most difficult.

And being asked to say "burger"(booger) and "thirty three and a third" became irritating after a while. Unless she was cute. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the Aussies....

Me- Can I have a coffee please
    Barman- Beeeeer it is
    Me- No, Coffffeeee
    Barman- Be earrrrr

Barman hate serving coffee. He knew well what you were saying. I worked with an old school barman before. God help anyone who ordered coffee after six.

Any yank who ordered an Irish coffee was told that the machine was being cleaned. They could be staying in the hotel for a week and anytime they ordered one, they were told that the machine was being cleaned. Cue a staff member going behind the bar to make a coffee to take on their break. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

It's funny how you don't notice how Irish you sound until you go to England. You realize you sound like a drunk leprechaun from Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Aussies are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to understanding Irish people, even English for that matter.

I was once in a bar in Shepparton, north Victoria, and asked the woman behind the bar for a pint of beer, to which she started to pour a pot (the common measure in Victoria, a pathetic 275ml glass which most victorians order), and I said, no sorry, I said a pint. Instead of going, 'oh sorry bla bla Ill get you a pint, she turned around and looked at me as if I had just made a remark on her appearance or something like that and barked 'PINT?' at me, and I replied 'yeah, that's it', to which she let out a sigh. While later and i'm up ordering another pint and she again asks with the most demeaning look if i mean 'pot or pint', to which I said pint, P.I.N.T. while pointing at the pint glasses on the shelf. Cue a sigh and then she poured it, placing the glass firmly on the counter in a terriblly unwelcoming fashion. Bitch I thought.... decided to have one more there, and ordered a pot just to annoy the retard. My English mate had the same problem, she couldnt even understand him when he said pot in a cockney accent (pohh), something which drove her to pick up both types of glasses for him to choose from.

I've plenty stories like that. Like a barmaid who had to get one of her colleagues over because she couldnt understand me when I ordered 'a bottle of tooheys old' - turns out that a 'stubby of old' would have done the trick. Retards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just moved to Arizona, am catching lots of crap for my accent and I don't have a strong accent. I've been avoiding the most obvious ones but still got caught out. The big ones I've been called out on are: Garage, vitamins, addidas, bar, carribean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kiwi's dont understand the term 'yer man / yer wan' at all, or 'giving out'

they seem to think we pronouce our U's really low as well, pronoucing duck as dook instead of dack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

kiwi's dont understand the term 'yer man / yer wan' at all, or 'giving out'

they seem to think we pronouce out U's really low as well, pronoucing duck as dook instead of dack
    coming from a bunch of people who pronounce a garden deck as a 'garden dick', and dickhead as 'dickhiid'

• Advertisement
Advertisement