Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro - Swords

• 02-05-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi,

I live at the back of Swords and being slightly in the country means I get woeful speeds to a maximum of 1.5 MB with Eircom, although the estate up the road has UPC! I have contacted a couple of different companies but all said the maximum I could get was 1.5 MB with this exchange.

Just off the phone to Digiweb who offered me the Metro package which could potentially get up to 30MB speed which would be a dream come true and it's cheaper than my current Eircom package!

So my question is, anyone have any experience of this Metro and is it reliable? don't know much about it. Anyone using it in the Swords area and how has the experience being? The guy on the phone said there is a mast in the area so I may be able to get it.

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Anyone??

Okay, put it this way. Would I be better with my reliable 1.5 MB maximum Eircom line or taking a risk with Digiweb? Anyone have experience of Digiweb Metro anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rcondor

I have had the 8Mb Digiweb Metro connection for the last few years with no problems. I am in Patrickswell outside Limerick, about 13 KM from the local Digiweb transmitter. I normally get about 6 to 7 Mbit download speed as measured on Speedtest.net.

On the boards here the main criticism of Digiweb seems to be their download caps which have been quite small. This has never been a problem for me, but your situation may be different.

I see their new 24 Mbit package has a download cap of 100 Gbytes which doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks for the response and Glad to hear the service is okay for you. I rely heavily, as most of us now do, on the Internet so can't afford to be going down very much. I read somewhere that radio signals digiweb users sometimes suffer when it rains, any truth in this? Living in a country like this that would be everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rcondor

Well personally I have never noticed any problems when it is raining. To be honest I can't remember the last time the connection went down. In fact I was so happy with it that I got our office at work to switch to Digiweb and it has worked fine there as well. We have poor quality phone lines at work and the best DSL connection we could ge was about 1.5 Mbits.

Unfortunatly there is no real way to see how good it will be for you without actually trying it. If I was in your situation I think I would switch to Digiweb but retain your existing connection for a month or two to see that everything is ok. Costs a bit more, but if you need it for business might be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I am on the Metro 30MB service here in Naas. I upgraded from the 8MB Metro Home package when it was released. While I was on the Metro Home package (8MB) I was getting a download speed of 7.91MB fairly constantly. However since the upgrade I have found that the service quality has dropped some what. Something I will be getting onto technical support about

However their technical support is fairly good and is now accessable on a freephone number (1918) from landlines only, mobile operators do not recognise it yet.

One thing of note before you make any decision. If your home has a monitored alarm installed or one that alerts you by SMS then Metro is not for you, as it does not support it.

Think I'm going to take a leap and go for it. I'll let you know how I get on :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ive 8/1mb metro at the min in drogheda, speeds are always around what they are ment to be, am currently waiting for the 30mb service to go live in the area heres a few speed and ping tests for ya

1930842054.png
    1930847700.png
    1930849361.png

Dublin
    62147836.png
    UK
    62147867.png
    France
    62147906.png

Nice to see that someone else is getting the same speeds on the 8MB Metro Home package as I was constantly. As I mentioned I upgraded to the 30MB/1MB Metro Express when it was rolled out in my area (Naas). After doing some speedtests the speeds were no where near the 30MB download stated though the 1MB upload speed stayed the same. Something I intend to follow up with technical support.

As for the original poster by all means go for it, as Metro is a much better alternative to the encumbant Eircom.
    dazdrog wrote: »
    ive 8/1mb metro at the min in drogheda, speeds are always around what they are ment to be, am currently waiting for the 30mb service to go live in the area heres a few speed and ping tests for ya

1930842054.png
    1930847700.png
    1930849361.png

Dublin
    62147836.png
    UK
    62147867.png
    France
    62147906.png

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

clusk007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I live at the back of Swords and being slightly in the country means I get woeful speeds to a maximum of 1.5 MB with Eircom, although the estate up the road has UPC! I have contacted a couple of different companies but all said the maximum I could get was 1.5 MB with this exchange.

Just off the phone to Digiweb who offered me the Metro package which could potentially get up to 30MB speed which would be a dream come true and it's cheaper than my current Eircom package!

So my question is, anyone have any experience of this Metro and is it reliable? don't know much about it. Anyone using it in the Swords area and how has the experience being? The guy on the phone said there is a mast in the area so I may be able to get it.

Stephen

Where exactly are you located - are you out the rathbeale road?
    I know a couple,of people just out from Swords with digiweb, one gets over 20mb and the other gets about 4 mb
    all depends where you are.

• Advertisement

Caseywhale wrote: »
    Where exactly are you located - are you out the rathbeale road?
    I know a couple,of people just out from Swords with digiweb, one gets over 20mb and the other gets about 4 mb
    all depends where you are.

I'm just around the corner from Leas Cross and had Digiweb out last week but as I suspected no luck with a signal :( They told me the mast is located in Airside which is where I used to live only two years ago ironically! looks like I'm going to have to put up with 1.5 MB for the foreseeable future :rolleyes:

I'm just around the corner from Leas Cross and had Digiweb out last week but as I suspected no luck with a signal :( They told me the mast is located in Airside which is where I used to live only two years ago ironically! looks like I'm going to have to put up with 1.5 MB for the foreseeable future :rolleyes:

I would have thought you could get it from there. Thats not far from airside as the crow flies.
    I'm told digiweb have a transmitter at Lispopple cross. Ripplecom too. Shouldnt be too far from you.

Did you try ripplecom?

Stephen
    It is disappointing that Digiweb cannot serve your part of Swords with their Metro package. A big drawback for theim. There is another alternative in the form of Wimax from Imagine. Give them a call and see if they can supply you. If they can then it is Digiwebs loss.

To dazdrog stay with the Metro Home 8/1mb for now even if the Express package comes available to you in Drogheda. Upgrade and you will not see any major improvements. I am currently in contact with Technical Support on the issue and I am still awaiting a response. I will update you if and when I get one. UPC are a possible option for me here in Naas if their answer is not satisfactory

cunnijo

cunnijo wrote: »
    Stephen
    It is disappointing that Digiweb cannot serve your part of Swords with their Metro package. A big drawback for theim. There is another alternative in the form of Wimax from Imagine. Give them a call and see if they can supply you. If they can then it is Digiwebs loss.

To dazdrog stay with the Metro Home 8/1mb for now even if the Express package comes available to you in Drogheda. Upgrade and you will not see any major improvements. I am currently in contact with Technical Support on the issue and I am still awaiting a response. I will update you if and when I get one. UPC are a possible option for me here in Naas if their answer is not satisfactory

cunnijo

Many thanks for the advice. I have now ordered from Ripplecom to see if they can get a signal, if the engineer can't then it's not charge so going to take the chance. WiMax seems expensive with very limited downloads which would not be suitable for me. Anyone any experience with ripplecom?

Many thanks for the advice. I have now ordered from Ripplecom to see if they can get a signal, if the engineer can't then it's not charge so going to take the chance. WiMax seems expensive with very limited downloads which would not be suitable for me. Anyone any experience with ripplecom?

Let us know how Ripplecom goes for you.

Advertisement