Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to see and do ?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

In Cork for a couple of days and thinking about the following places. Shandon church tower, Crawford Gallery, English Market.
    Any museums worth a look ?

I have the nitelife sussed.
    Any other suggestions by local boardsies welcome.

Also, is worth heading out to Cobh to visit the Titanic museum, (and is it worth the €9.50 admission charge). Anything else to see in Cobh?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

If the weather is nice I'd recommend fota.

Personally I wasn't too impressed by the Titanic museum, but the church in Cobh was really pretty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kinsale on a nice day is worth a stroll around I think - went there before and while I didn't think there was much to see it'd be a nice place to head to for a spot of lunch, then continue on to the beach maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

My friend and I went to the Titanic Experience 2 weeks ago. She was across from Wales and we both thought it was brilliant - well worth €9.50, we were there about 90 minutes.

Don't forget - there's more than that to see in Cobh. There is also the Heritage Centre, next to the train station. The Museum at the top of the hill (steps to it, opposite train station). The Sirius Art Centre, may have an exhibition on. If the weather stays dry (we can pray) then go for a walk along the waterfront (the other side of the Heritage Centre). It may be worth booking a walking tour or Titanic Harbour Tour i.e. Michael Martin's Tours. And if Spike Island is open this weekend - a definite must. Ooops had to edit this, I forgot to mention the Cathedral! And if you walk around the hills - the viewing points are just amazing.

There is enough to keep you entertained in Cobh for a day - not to mention the cafes/restaurants/bars inbetween the tours/visits etc.

Whatever you do - have fun. Not everyone will like the Titanic Experience but I thought it was a very informative tour/museum and the group on my tour were all ages and seemed to enjoy it. €9.50 for 90 minutes, I think it was worth every cent! J

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

The Jameson experience in Midleton is really good, a free mag you'll find about town, Whazon, has vouchers for it and another couple of things. Also lots of info there for exhibits, events and such.

The Butter Museum is also quite the tax wheeze, sorry, experience but you'll need to pack your irony hat for true enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Judes wrote: »
    My friend and I went to the Titanic Experience 2 weeks ago. She was across from Wales and we both thought it was brilliant - well worth €9.50, we were there about 90 minutes.

Some friends of mine from the city went there a few weeks ago and said it was absolutely terrific: worth every penny, informative, entertaining and more than little moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.whazon.com/cork/index.php
    might be worth checking this out.

Around the city id visit english market, St Finbarres and Shandon. Trip to Blarney castle too. The city centre isnt full of specific sites but its a lovely place to wander around. Presuming your driving then it would be a pity not to visit one or preferably both of
    a) Kinsale and Charlesfort. 25 minutes drive from cork. Some nice restraunts including fishy fishy.
    b) The close side of West Cork. 45 minutes drive to clonakilty. Check out Castlefreke, the galley head in ardfield just outside town. Lovely scenic walks and beaches. Also dunmore, inchadoney etc very nice in same area. Take a trip to Glandore and have a tea in Hayes looking out on the bay, check out drumbeg stone circle on the way back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thanks for all the replies everybody.
    Cobh is definitely on tomorrows list.
    Doubt we'll make it to Kinsale this time round.

Went to Shandon Church today but it was shut. We'll try again on Friday.

We spent most of today strolling around taking advantage of the fab weather.
    Sat outside Bodega for an hour. Lovely bar, nice pint. And the coffee was good there too (she said:)).

A lot more to Cork than I thought !

One more little thing. Does anyone know of any good second hand bookshops?
    I love browsing in them whenever I go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Lapin wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everybody.
    Cobh is definitely on tomorrows list.
    Doubt we'll make it to Kinsale this time round.

Went to Shandon Church today but it was shut. We'll try again on Friday.

We spent most of today strolling around taking advantage of the fab weather.
    Sat outside Bodega for an hour. Lovely bar, nice pint. And the coffee was good there too (she said:)).

A lot more to Cork than I thought !

One more little thing. Does anyone know of any good second hand bookshops?
    I love browsing in them whenever I go anywhere.

Vibes and scribes is your best option for second hand books, they're on lavits quay. If you walk past the opera house and continue west you'll find it.

I thought the second hand vibes and scribes stuff was on parliament street between parliament bridge and maccurtain street?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I thought the second hand vibes and scribes stuff was on parliament street between parliament bridge and maccurtain street?

The shops swapped around last year - 2nd hand on Lavitts Quay.

Neither shop is anywhere near Parliament Street or Bridge, them being just off the South Mall.

• Advertisement

sorry meant bridge street

sorry meant bridge street

No worries - it was early in the morning - you confused me for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There's also a great second hand bookshop beside the Paul St shopping centre. Takes you through the Hugenot quarter of Cork.

If you go through French Church St (off Patrick St), it'll take you right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

You should check out the Glen, nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Went to the titanic experience last weekend and honestly, not impressed. Expensive, some of the exhibits were not working, and we were rushed through every room like there was a fire.

On the other hand, cobh itself is really nice for a walk. And I loved the Jameson distillery tour in midleton(although not a whiskey drinker). if you have transport it's also very much worth a trip out to blarney to the castle and the grounds.

yenom wrote: »
    You should check out the Glen, nice spot.

I did thanks. Great spot for hill walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

+1 for the Glen. It's my doggy's favourite spot! :D

evilivor wrote: »
    The shops swapped around last year - 2nd hand on Lavitts Quay.

Both the 2nd hand and new books shop are side by side now on Lavitts Quay. I spent well over an hour (and a few shillings) in each of them yesterday ! Great shops.

Incidently, there is a great sale of Irish literature classics in the new books shop at the moment. Complete works of various well known authors and playwrights from as little as €3.99 !
    There's also a great second hand bookshop beside the Paul St shopping centre. Takes you through the Hugenot quarter of Cork.

If you go through French Church St (off Patrick St), it'll take you right there.

Found it today. Connolly's. A great little place run by an lovely old couple who love what they do. I could have spent hours here if I had the time, and the next time I come to Cork, I'll make the time.

While I love all bookshops, give me places like Vibes & Scribes and Connolly's ahead of the big chainstores anyday.

Back home after a great few days in Cork.
    Can't way to go back again.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied to my OP.

Cheers :)

Advertisement