Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to take this craic anymore... Recruiters!!

Options
  • 02-05-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

It hard to take this job searching craic any more. CV's and cover letters piling up on recruiters hard-drives as they run a program to search your CV for compatibility in various jobs. Tis frustrating.

Are applications ranked/scored or what's the story? Do recruiters (i.e agencies) even read a CV? Seems odd. :confused:

Any of you have any insights on their practice? How are applications really matched?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Who Knows? wrote: »
    Hi,

It hard to take this job searching craic any more. CV's and cover letters piling up on recruiters hard-drives as they run a program to search your CV for compatibility in various jobs. Tis frustrating.

Are applications ranked/scored or what's the story? Do recruiters (i.e agencies) even read a CV? Seems odd. :confused:

Any of you have any insights on their practice? How are applications really matched?
    I'd say with jobs so scarce I'd say good old fashioned cronyism would come into the ' recruitment ' process :mad: Helps if a family member is in the agency/HR/Fine Gael/Fianna Fail/Labour etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Ive a pain in my hoop too dude................ nothing but rejections from foreign nationals in hr depts....................ive been onto the equality authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Ive a pain in my hoop too dude................ nothing but rejections from foreign nationals in hr depts....................ive been onto the equality authorities
    It's great getting a call from some in HR who hasn't got a clue how to speak English let alone pronounce your name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Spunk84 wrote: »
    It's great getting a call from some in HR who hasn't got a clue how to speak English let alone pronounce your name

had 2 jobs that the HR monkeys rang about that have since seemed to disappear. its a mare when they ring you about some job all full of beans, and then you hear nothing for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Maybe these companies are not interested in hiring racists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP have you had your CV read over by a few people who know what a good CV should look like, perhaps that is your problem ?

Magenta wrote: »

Bit of equality ya beagle...............................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Magenta wrote: »

Aaaaaa were am I racist? Because I want someone who can speak English lol I think Ur Abit racist for people who speak English

Aaaaaa were am I racist? Because I want someone who can speak English lol I think Ur Abit racist for people who speak English

well said spunk........................come the hour when companies actually decide to start employing irish lads and lassies first with the correct skills and experiences of course

think ill apply for this job in Canada (sausage maker fas website) and oul pavel and half off eastern Europe can have those new jobs in SAP

Meahwhile in Utopia :rolleyes:.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Should have done comp sci/eng in uni. Since I made my CV public again on monster I'v had 6 calls in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I have an unbreakable rule in job hunting "Don't deal with recruitment agencies". They are the ****e of the ****e. Some muppet with a handful of buzzwords that knows nothing about your work judges you on weather or not you should be put forward for the position. I actually think they should be banned. It is nothing more than a blag on employers to the detrement of the coerced employee.

I use Fas.ie 90% when I need to and jobs.ie (employers only search). Anything that looks like an agency I skip over.

Man they annoy me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Should have done comp sci/eng in uni. Since I made my CV public again on monster I'v had 6 calls in the last week.

Well aren't you great ;)

Calls from recruiters don't mean much to me, either they don't understand the role, or your CV or are looking for you to move to another planet for the job. I got a call from a recruiter (who has my CV btw) asking me if I would be interested in the job I left last year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

omahaid wrote: »
    Well aren't you great ;)

Calls from recruiters don't mean much to me, either they don't understand the role, or your CV or are looking for you to move to another planet for the job. I got a call from a recruiter (who has my CV btw) asking me if I would be interested in the job I left last year :rolleyes:

Indeed, some of the conversations are annoying but there are jobs fin IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm happy getting mails from the agencies, I'm currently working but it's nice that there are people out there who get commissions to find work for you.

But you have to be realistic it's the employer's responsibility to fill in the role requirements. My first job in software development came from an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Enough of the personal insults and race-based comments: civilized behaviour is required in this forum.

And no the text-speak, either.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nothing but rejections from foreign nationals in hr depts

Odd, I've not met many foreign national working in HR. Except for the multi-national where I work, which has off-shored the entire HR function to a lower-cost-geography.

But that's getting off topic, the OP asked about recruiters, not HR, and not about their race or English-skills.

OP, here's the deal: recruiters aren't looking for a job for you. They are looking for candidates to fill vacancies for employers. So yes, the CVs do pile up in their databases, and yes they do key-word searches for terms that hiring managers have said they are looking for. There probably are scoring systems. No, they don't always read CVs. And yes, they lose no sleep over lying to you about things, being hard to contact, etc: really they are sales-people, and putting on the spin is part of the game.

That said, I recall an interview 4 years ago where I was very tempted to say to the hiring manager and in-house HR person "thanks for your time, but this is a total waste of mine, did you even bother to read my CV". No agencies involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

omahaid wrote: »
    Well aren't you great ;)

Yeah recruiters are a bit rubbish. i had a call from one for a job i applied for. the job is over a month old, already filled and i got to the third round of interview.

the recruiter rang me to say my CV didnt look good enough to send on and would i do it up again. needless to say i thought it was good to tell her the job was filled 2 weeks ago. she was shocked to say the least. hahhaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

I've always used recruiters in the past and exclusively so but I'm new to Ireland and job searching here and have found them to be useless to deal with. I decided to stop applying through them and instead deal directly with the company and by doing that I got a job almost instantly. Unfortunately a lot of companies when looking to fill a position now outsource the job to recruiters and yes, it's extremely frustrating.

Advertisement