Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the hell do I beat Ruby Weapon!?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

After 15 years I finally decided to get around to beating Ruby Weapon. Defeated Emerald last night in one attempt so I figured it would be a cakewalk.
    NOPE

Original Strategy: Started the battle with only Cloud alive, cast W-Summon(Hades followed by KOTR) and mime repeatedly. KOTR was separately paired with HP Absorb. Whenever KOTR was used, Cloud's would get full HP again. When Ruby was un-stopped I would wait until he attacked and then cast mime again, this way I would avoid him being un-stopped and counter-attacking in between summons. If I died, Phoenix+FinalAttack would revive me for a second chance. Got about 4 rounds of KOTR in before he countered with Ultima and one-shotted me. Revived by Phoenix+FinalAttack, then it happened again.

Heres what I've got to use/What I've managed so far:
    • All other weapons defeated apart from Ruby.
    • Gold Chocobo obtained
    • Mime Materia x2
    • Master Summon
    • Master Command
    • Master Magic
    • Final Attack Materia obtained
    • Battle Square fully completed
    • Ruby is my final sidequest before heading to the end of the game
    Can you help? What was your strategy? How did you manage to finally beat Ruby Weapon? I know its just an optional boss and the reward is a bit ****, but its the only thing I've never achieved in Final Fantasy 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It can definitely be done at these levels too.

I did it! I'll post how, in the off chance that someone ever comes across this wanting to know how.
    Setup:
    • Cloud Level 64/65, doesn't really matter as long as its over 60 tbh.
    • Cloud is the only living party member.
    • You'll need Mime, W-Item, W-Summon.
    • You'll need a HP Plus MASTER, HP Plus level 3 at least and at least a level 3 MAGIC Plus. This will bring your HP up to 9999 and ensure each attack of KOTR does 9999 damage.
    • KOTR paired with MP Turbo
    • Master Summon paired with HP Absorb
    • Final Attack paired with Revive materia (just in case).
    • 2 hero drinks
    Before you start the battle, make sure to kill off your other two party members. As soon as the battle starts, use W-Item to use two Hero Drinks on Cloud. On the very next turn, use W-summon to cast KOTR twice. Because of the MAGIC Plus and MP Turbo, each attack in the summon will deal 9999 damage. When the summon is finished Cloud will be fully healed due to the HP Absorb materia. Ruby will counterattack with Ultima, but you can survive it with your high HP and then KOTR will be used straight after to heal you again. After this, use Mime repeatedly until you win the battle. I was even lucky enough to have Ultima miss three times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What's the reward? I never actually managed it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The Desert Rose, which is needed to get a gold chocobo from the old guy in Kalm.

When I did it KOTR only did about 6000 damage per hit. Took me around half an hour. Pity you can't skip the summon animations.

The reward of a gold chocobo is a bit ridiculous considering most of the strategies involve using Knights of the Round.

Emerald Weapon is considered by some to be the hardest due to his powerful attacks. The reward is MUCH better for Emerald. Master summon materia, master command materia and master magic materia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Newaglish wrote: »
    What's the reward? I never actually managed it myself!

You'll be king of the nerds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Ye it's a bit weird about the desert rose one, could never understand the point of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

lordlame wrote: »
    Ye it's a bit weird about the desert rose one, could never understand the point of that one

The bosses were added in for the US/European versions of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

but its the only thing I've never achieved in Final Fantasy 7.
    Did you get the rusty key to try and open that door in the weapon shop in Mideel after Cloud comes round from his comatose state?

LOL! How obscure is that!?:D

That's the only thing I never did.

While you're in Mideel, you can visit the shops and buy some really nice gear and fine accessories. Also, there's a small white Chocobo here. Feed him some Samolen Greens, and scratch behind his ears (as advised by Choco Bill said back at the farm), and he'll give you a Contain materia, which is a spell materia that has some unusual properties.

If you check the back of the weapon shop, you'll find a locked door. Go outside down the path to the left and the floor should creak. Search to find a rusty key, and try to use it in the lock, only it will break off. Be honest when the man asked you what happened, and you'll get a Curse Ring. You can also go inside one of the houses to find an Elixir, only for once the man inside will complain, just be honest again and you'll get to keep it.
    :rolleyes:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII/A_journey_through_cloudless_skies

And I hope you robbed the birds nest on the Train Tracks before you get to North Corel.

The bird thing I only copped like two years ago, and the key thing I copped around my third playthrough when I was younger. I remember having arguments in school about the key's existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

master w summon ( haedes and kotr) + 2 master mimes = piece of piss

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I remember I fought Ruby and Emerald back in the day before all this looking-things-up-on-the-net business.

For Emerald I didn't know about the Underwater Materia, I just assumed you had to beat him in less then 20 minutes. I used Cloud, Cid and Barret's Level 4 limit breaks (they were all on fury status with and with full limits starting the fight to get off the ground running), 4x cut materia was my a general purpose 'poke', Enemy skill "big guard" was my main defensive magic (barrier MBarrier and haste) I sometimes used Regen too (I found if it just helps you not die especially for long moments where the lazers are attacking one after the other, and you have no input) , lots of speed plus, HP PLUS, MAGIC plus and KOTR, I don't think I used mime.

thinking back basically what I did was try to overwhelm Emerald with ATB speed and Limitbreaks (which always occur as the next command as soon as you choose it) this tactic works very well in FFX but it does have some merit in other FF's as well, in theory as long as at least one player can survive anything the boss has and you're fast enough, you can attack and heal at the same time, it;s just a matter of your resources vs the bosses HP.

for Ruby I eventually discovered that when there is only one player 'alive' he puts his tenticals in the ground so I began starting my fights with only one player alive.

limitbreaks are useless with Ruby, you need to use KOTR, but at this stage i had master materia and I had copped on to the powers of Mime and W-Summon.

so ruby was W-Summon mime for the first while. Uutil he eventually takes his tenticals back out, and on one glorious day while on holidays (I brought my PS with me, sad, I know) I was left with just Cloud no MP to speak of, and all I had was limitbreaks, healing Items, 4xCut and for some reason I remember Comet 2 happening (but that may have been RUBY)
    I think I may have even used reflect from the mater magic materia I had since I was using Xpotions to heal myself.

but after the initial ground gained with KOTR and mime and three team mates working like bees, with just a battered Cloud holding on by his teeth, I wrestled with ruby for a further 25 minutes I'm guessing but it might have been 15 minutes or it might have been an hour and a half until...

KISHHHHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSUUUUUSUSUSSHSHUuuuu!!

Ecstasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Well done on beating Ruby Mitch! I remember beating them back in the day! I started a new game in FF9 (My favorite and IMO the best FF) and have the main characters up to level 60+. I'm gonna beat Ozma!! The only one i never beat! Anyone got any tips? Im in the process of completing the friendly monsters sidequest so i can attack him. Anything i should prepare for?!

Advertisement