Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks

• 02-05-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi there, hope this is the right forum for this.

The other day after lectures I suggested going to Starbucks for coffee, and a friend of mine got very critical, saying he never drinks there, they're "dodgy" and I shouldn‘t be supporting them. I said yunno I always hear that I shouldn’t be supporting Starbucks, that I have blood on my hands yada yada yada, but no one’s been able to tell me why exactly and I can’t find anything on the internet about it. As far as I know, they treat their employees very well, they don’t discriminate and their coffee is fair trade and ethically sourced. So what’s the problem? He proceeded to tell me that they’re on some “list” of companies to watch out for for some vague reason. I’m not sure if he was telling the truth or not. If you disagree with big corporations that’s one thing, but there’s no need to make stuff up.

So would anyone care to tell me what the story is (if there is one at all)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Their coffee tastes like shite for starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mention any multinational company and you'll always find one artsy pseudo-humanitarian whingery type who claims that they're evil and will list off a litany of "abuses".

They're just hipster ****. Ignore them and enjoy your coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I like to drink coffee, so I never go to Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

phasers wrote: »
    Their coffee tastes like shite for starters

no that nescaffee frizzed dried does, there coffee taste like nescaffe mixed with tar :pac:

EDIT: ****ty spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Starbucks are the Microsoft of the coffee world... so your gonna get that crap talk...

its probably the lads down in Insomnia that are spreading the rumors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A quick google search shows they are quick to buy out competitors...

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/hate/

And for some reason, I can't place it, but I got the sense that a lot of Americans view it as the Walmart of coffee. Honestly can't point to any specifics on why I get that impression but there it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My only problem with the place is all the **** who think it's a destination in itself. Or that they cool quotient triples when they walk around in public with one of their mugs. It's a frickin coffee shop like, get over yourself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

seamus wrote: »

They're just hipster ****.

Nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've never been. Not out of any ethical refusal, but simply because i refuse to que for half an hour for a paper cup of coffee when the shop next door can get me one in 2 minutes. People certainly seem to love that place!!

As for the ethics part - if you're drinking coffee you're screwing someone over, same as if you're wearing clothes or eating chocolate or a million other everyday things. What you gonna do, drink tap water naked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tim Hortons ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Their CEO is a zionist.

their coffee i can only desribe as being served warm... i've been told this is to stop possible legal action in case anybody is scolded, anybody confirm that rumor? Their coffee may be nice if you could get it served hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What you gonna do, drink tap water naked?
    No, but then, that too is empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Only someone with the brain of Derek Zoolander would pay more than €2 for a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

indeed, but it's not an easy thing to do in starbucks as the coffee tastes like it was hydrolicly squeezed out of an OAP's arsehole after a load of stout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I want tea or coffee there is a kettle in work or at home, I can make it there!

I am not being ripped off by some company for hot water, milk and a few coffee beans/tea bag!

Plus I do not see a Starbucks coffee mug as some sort of trophy to be held aloft when walking to work in the morning....as a lot of people do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Hey OP,

I lived with a guy that worked for Starbucks, they don't treat their employees well but that's neither here nor there really. Only one of their coffees is fair trade, the one called fair trade. The others aren't fair trade, they're got in the ususal scummy way of f-ing over the environment, the farmers and everyone in between. I don't like coffee myself so don't have this issue. In future when someone starts a lecture, ask them why exactly you shouldn't support them, if the person can't answer, say "Oh I don't listen to gossip, if you can't answer why they're not ethical you shouldn't be lecturing people". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Also, when you order a coffee they ask for your name now. What the fcuk is that about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like coffee and I'm not a harsh critic on coffee most of the time but Insomnia is absolute puke burnt bitter horrible coffee, I can't believe people continue to drink that stuff. Starbucks isn't bad at all IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

They're just hipster ****.

Unfortunalty hipsters seem to think they no good food as well as coffee and ar into barristas etc, they generally tweet their pictures of coffee and there really **** food pics as some gargantuan effort to seem like there really good at food photography but heres the problem there not remotely average at what they do... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Only someone with the brain of Derek Zoolander would pay more than €2 for a cup of coffee.

Does that go for people who pay over a fiver for a pint?

At least I'll drink the coffee and leave it at that...maybe have one a few hours later or the next day, but I won't try to drink as many as I can in 3 hours, start a fight, get sick, eat a kebab, get sick in a taxi/bus, fall unconcious & wake up next morning in pain wondering wtf I did last night.

phasers wrote: »
    Also, when you order a coffee they ask for your name now. What the fcuk is that about?

did they not always do this? and put the name on the cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

It comes from America where Starbucks will set up a shop in the neighbourhood and proceed to undersell coffee to pressurise the other coffee shops in the area to either put down their prices or until they go out of business. They've been known to set up a few shops in local areas because they know they can take a hit on lower prices being a large multinational until their rivals in a location closes and then they'll hike up the prices.

That's why people hate them.
    There's been no sign of that happening in Ireland yet though, but the thing is that in Ireland their clientelle seem to be for the most part complete and utter douchebags who would rather been seen there with their crappy slim apple mac laptops, with an oversized cup on their hand drinking something that has 7 syllable in the name.

Personally I don't like their coffee and I'd much prefer to go into a local smaller shop than a starbucks.

Wasn't there a story about them wasting tons of water in the last year or too also? Always leaving the tap running to ensure that the water remains cold? Something like that.

Snowie wrote: »
    Unfortunalty hipsters seem to think they no good food as well as coffee and ar into barristas etc, they generally tweet their pictures of coffee and there really **** food pics as some gargantuan effort to seem like there really good at food photography but heres the problem there not remotely average at what they do... :rolleyes:

you try taking a picture with those jeans on.

in fact. try doing _anything_ with those jeans on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fair trade coffee, o.k, o.k it is good to support, but my God, the stuff is absolutely rank tbf.

Costa Coffee > Starbucks by the by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If that person was warning you off drinking a certain companies coffee and couldn't tell you why, you might kindly inform them that they are a brainwashed clown and that you like to make your own decisions based on information you've read yourself rather than some second hand, half remembered right on nonsense.

Bland and boring anti-americanism, nothing more....now if they said you shouldn't go cos the coffee tasted like hot dishwater they'd have an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I would question the validity of any establishment that sells vanilla/cream/icey/chocolatey-with a cherry on top concoctions as "coffee" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Mention any multinational company and you'll always find one artsy pseudo-humanitarian whingery type who claims that they're evil and will list off a litany of "abuses".

The sort of self-serving righteousness from hipsters annoys me to no end. These sort of people don't actually care about the litany of ''abuses''; it's just trendy so they pretend they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It comes from America where Starbucks will set up a shop in the neighbourhood and proceed to undersell coffee to pressurise the other coffee shops in the area to either put down their prices or until they go out of business. They've been known to set up a few shops in local areas because they know they can take a hit on lower prices being a large multinational until their rivals in a location closes and then they'll hike up the prices.

That's why people hate them.
    There's been no sign of that happening in Ireland yet though, but the thing is that in Ireland their clientelle seem to be for the most part complete and utter douchebags who would rather been seen there with their crappy slim apple mac laptops, with an oversized cup on their hand drinking something that has 7 syllable in the name.

Personally I don't like their coffee and I'd much prefer to go into a local smaller shop than a starbucks.

Wasn't there a story about them wasting tons of water in the last year or too also? Always leaving the tap running to ensure that the water remains cold? Something like that.

Didn't the CEO recognise this practise was diluting their brand and was detrimental to the business. They've been closing shops and trying to improve the remaining ones. Something about focusing on what the original shops were supposed to be...

• Advertisement

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The sort of self-serving righteousness from hipsters annoys me to no end. These sort of people don't actually care about the litany of ''abuses''; it's just trendy so they pretend they do.

who do they think make their little pink pomps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Pushtrak wrote: »
    A quick google search shows they are quick to buy out competitors...

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/hate/

And for some reason, I can't place it, but I got the sense that a lot of Americans view it as the Walmart of coffee. Honestly can't point to any specifics on why I get that impression but there it is.
    Yes, I've seen this. It says that market domination puts companies in the position to buy out competitors, which is obvious, but it doesn't give any evidence of Starbucks doing this or how often it occurs. So the question remains of why I should hate Starbucks more than any other corporation. The comments about psychological tactics in their advertising don't really phase me either; it's a pretty uncontroversial that companies like to spend money on strategic marketing.

I guess this "list" thing my friend was going on about is ****e?

"Their coffee is ****e" posters: I hereby award you the boards badge of originality ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I go to Starbucks because it's convenient. It's grand, not nearly as bad as some of the pseudo coffee bean aficionado's on here would make out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Snowie wrote: »

there was someone one my facebook friends who constantly takes pictures of food and coffee and use Instamatic for it all. the. fcuking. time. its like the epitome of hipster wankerishness.

imagine seeing pics like this on your facebook every day without fail:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7166/6825267929_9f18211d2d_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Orange Mocha Frappacinos!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Their coffee tastes awful. It's really bad.

Also there does seem to be a lot of hipsters drinking coffee milkshakes in there while on a MacBook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Everyone has their hobbies, interests and vices that they spend money on - alcohol, music, what have you. I don't spend a lot of money on other things but I happen to really enjoy good coffee, I have a taste for the difference and while I do support independent coffee companies but I also treat myself to Starbucks. Suck it.

folamh wrote: »
    I do support independent coffee companies but I also treat myself to Starbucks. Suck it.

OooOoooOooOo matron...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I worked on a coffee initiative in East Africa in 2007 and the Starbucks were considered a great company to do business with - and we represented the farmers. They took great interest in coffee farmer education and paid a price premium for the product in truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Does that go for people who pay over a fiver for a pint?

At least I'll drink the coffee and leave it at that...maybe have one a few hours later or the next day, but I won't try to drink as many as I can in 3 hours, start a fight, get sick, eat a kebab, get sick in a taxi/bus, fall unconcious & wake up next morning in pain wondering wtf I did last night.

Yes and fair play to you for wearing the pioneer pin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I am pie wrote: »
    Didn't the CEO recognise this practise was diluting their brand and was detrimental to the business. They've been closing shops and trying to improve the remaining ones. Something about focusing on what the original shops were supposed to be...

Which one the underselling or the water?
    I've no idea what he? said, never heard of whoever he/she is tbh.

I remember reading about the underselling thing years ago, maybe they've changed their attitude to this but I don't know tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

A couple of years back I was gifted a dozen kilo bags of their coffee beans through a work thing.

I have a grinder and espresso machine etc. at home so I was delighted as beans can be expensive. A major free supply was a big deal for me.

I didn't make it halfway through the first bag. They were awful. Burnt and bitter.

Brought the box into work and offered as freebies to anyone who wanted them. No takers. To be fair, you'd need a grinder so wasn't an option for everyone.

TL;DR horrible coffee, even for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You can't beat a Starbucks Mocha. Nowhere else does them as good.

smash wrote: »
    You can't beat a Starbucks Mocha. Nowhere else does them as good.

possibly but you have to drink in under a minute before it goes cold :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

davet82 wrote: »
    their coffee i can only desribe as being served warm... i've been told this is to stop possible legal action in case anybody is scolded, anybody confirm that rumor? Their coffee may be nice if you could get it served hot

This is the thing that Irish people don't get.

Good espresso coffee that is supposed to be sticking to the proper Italian way should never be boiling, it ruins the taste and flavour.

Insomnia are particularly guilty of this but they are most likely meeting the demands of Irish instant coffee drinkers who think it should burn the bloody mouth off you.

I often go to Starbucks as their coffee is better than a lot of places and anyone who complains about them is just doing so for the sake of it as they are successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

davet82 wrote: »
    possibly but you have to drink in under a minute before it goes cold :(
    Better than insomnia. They burn the coffee and you have to leave it to cool for 5 mins before you can drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Their coffee tastes awful. It's really bad.

Also there does seem to be a lot of hipsters drinking coffee milkshakes in there while on a MacBook

So where do you go for a good cup of coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

RichieC wrote: »
    Their CEO is a zionist.

Indeed he is :

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-starbucks.html

murpho999 wrote: »
    I often go to Starbucks as their coffee is better than a lot of places and anyone who complains about then is just doing so for the sake of it as they are successful.

how many free cups of coffee did you get for that post? :rolleyes:

smash wrote: »
    Better than insomnia.

i try to avoid most of the dedicated coffee chains myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I wouldn't go to Starbucks because I dislike coffee shop culture in general. Particularly Starbucks or one of the big chains. An independent one I don't really mind - a proper coffee shop. If it was a nice day and I could sit out like you do on the continent but let's face it these places don't exist in Ireland.

I don't go to Starbucks because it's full of **** wearing scarves indoors drinking a mochalochaccino and surfing the internet on an Apple laptop, or whiny groups of teenage girls, or mothers with young children and prams all over the shop.

And for that reason I'm out. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement