Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Does that go for people who pay over a fiver for a pint?

At least I'll drink the coffee and leave it at that...maybe have one a few hours later or the next day, but I won't try to drink as many as I can in 3 hours, start a fight, get sick, eat a kebab, get sick in a taxi/bus, fall unconcious & wake up next morning in pain wondering wtf I did last night.

I wish I could thank this post more than once :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wouldn't go to Starbucks because I dislike coffee shop culture in general. Particularly Starbucks or one of the big chains. An independent one I don't really mind - a proper coffee shop. If it was a nice day and I could sit out like you do on the continent but let's face it these places don't exist in Ireland.

I don't go to Starbucks because it's full of **** wearing scarves indoors drinking a mochalochaccino and surfing the internet on an Apple laptop, or whiny groups of teenage girls, or mothers with young children and prams all over the shop.

And for that reason I'm out. :cool:

You watch way too much TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

smash wrote: »
    You can't beat a Starbucks Mocha. Nowhere else does them as good.

Even Butlers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I wouldn't go to Starbucks because I dislike coffee shop culture in general. Particularly Starbucks or one of the big chains. An independent one I don't really mind - a proper coffee shop. If it was a nice day and I could sit out like you do on the continent but let's face it these places don't exist in Ireland.

I don't go to Starbucks because it's full of **** wearing scarves indoors drinking a mochalochaccino and surfing the internet on an Apple laptop, or whiny groups of teenage girls, or mothers with young children and prams all over the shop.

And for that reason I'm out. :cool:
    I have a few questions for you: What do you mean by "coffee shop culture"? What characterises a "proper" coffee shop? And how do coffee shops on the continent differ from coffee shops in Ireland? I've visited coffee shops in France, Italy and Spain and they seem to be much the same. And you can "sit out" in most coffee shops in Ireland.

Macholochaccinos are nice and scarves look kewl. Quit hating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

smash wrote: »
    You watch way too much TV

If I watched too much TV, I'd walk into a coffee shop and expect to see Ross, Monica and Rachel sitting on a couch :D

That's just been my experiences of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't mind the Starbucks coffee here, it's not great but certainly a huge step up from the surrounding shops offering their watery arse butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If I watched too much TV, I'd walk into a coffee shop and expect to see Ross, Monica and Rachel sitting on a couch :D

Friends stopped production almost a decade ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

davet82 wrote: »
    how many free cups of coffee did you get for that post? :rolleyes:

Free for life as Starbucks depend on posts on Boards threads for their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

As much as I enjoy an aul' cup of coffee, the **** that sit in there all day in the ones in Town(Dublin) would nearly put you off the place. Get off your bloody laptops and go to work or something you jumped-up little scrotes.

Edit: It's 3 o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon and I'm sitting at home on my laptop. Woops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Morlar wrote: »

What is this nonsense? Seriously ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Insomnia makes much, much better coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I have nothing against the company at all, I'm sure they treat their staff very well, fair trade to the farmers etc.

Only problem I have with the place and most people who like/enjoy their coffee is that it taste's RANK!
    Its always severed kinda cold/mah warm, the milk is just ick if your getting something milky, coffee they buy in is piss poor! It is a total status thing for people who dont like coffee, just like pop music is for people who dont like music.

The staff are always lovely tho, thats great, they know how to treat staff, with their CRAZY prices on coffee and cakes etc.

Where have all the West Coast Coffee shops gone in Dublin!? Thats my fav coffee in Dublin.
    Only one left that I can find and its too far away from my office.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

I know the Pro-Palestine crowd hates Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If i'm out and about, Costa Coffee is usually where i'll go

Starbucks are scum if you bother your ar­se doing some research on them and their practices.

Here is a gem. They billed the city of New York for all the bottled water taken from shops close to ground zero on 9/11.

Also the amount of water they waste in all of their shops is mental.

Go to a non chain coffee shop. It is usually way better as the people who run it give a shi­t about their customers and the product they are selling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am pie wrote: »
    What is this nonsense? Seriously ?

You can read yep ?

Insomnia makes much, much better coffee.

Too bloody hot!

Edz87 wrote: »
    Starbucks are scum if you bother your ar­se doing some research on them and their practices.

Here is a gem. They billed the city of New York for all the bottled water taken from shops close to ground zero on 9/11.

Go to a non chain coffee shop. It is usually way better as the people who run it give a shi­t about their customers and the product they are selling.

Can you provide a link to this?
    Sounds like an urban myth to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Jorah wrote: »
    I know the Pro-Palestine crowd hates Starbucks.

Pro human rights, I'm sure you meant, though it usually arrives out spelled that way once it's directed through the mainstream prism.

You can read yep ?

Yes, hence the question.

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »
    Pro human rights, I'm sure you meant, though it usually arrives out spelled that way once it's directed through the mainstream prism.

Through the prism of anti-Israeli propaganda I assume you mean? It's comically transparent.

Yes, hence the question.

And you know how to use the mouse to click on a link, yep ?

I feel we are making such great progress here.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to this?
    Sounds like an urban myth to me.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/starbucks.asp

This is just one example.

Edz87 wrote: »

"bother your arse doing some research" What do you think this thread is?

Anyway, if this source is to be believed then the incident you're referring to seems to be a case of bad management in one chain: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/starbucks.asp

Using lots of water is common among all coffee shops, not just Starbucks. It's a health regulation to have a stream of water running through the utensils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Their CEO supports Zionism and made some contributions to the IDF. Starbucks was/is involved with pro-Zionist PR.

Tbh, they make nice coffee and I'd be more concerned with how many national governments do nothing to stop what is happening in Palestine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Coffee is not bad but I can understand why some people dislike them (they saturate the market). Their coffee is certainly better than 90% of the hotels, coffee shops and bars selling coffee. It's still not as good as the stuff to be had in France, Spain and Italy. People working in most establishments seem Incapable of brewing a nice coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Have to say I like their coffee- and the prices aren't ridiculous either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

its probably the lads down in Insomnia that are spreading the rumors

Doubt it: even Insomnia's coffee is nicer than Starbucks. And that's saying a lot.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Their coffee is certainly better than 90% of the hotels, coffee shops and bars selling coffee.

I'd agree on hotels and bars, but what coffee shops do worse coffee than Starbucks? I can't be getting lucky every single time I go to any coffee shop and get better coffee than in Starbucks, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There's a starbucks near me and I find their coffee grand. The vias are hassle-free and much nicer than the coffee I get in work. However, the nicest coffee in town the world is 3rd floor espresso.
    their coffee i can only desribe as being served warm... i've been told this is to stop possible legal action in case anybody is scolded, anybody confirm that rumor? Their coffee may be nice if you could get it served hot

Just ask for it extra hot.

kfallon wrote: »
    If I want tea or coffee there is a kettle in work or at home, I can make it there!

I am not being ripped off by some company for hot water, milk and a few coffee beans/tea bag!

Plus I do not see a Starbucks coffee mug as some sort of trophy to be held aloft when walking to work in the morning....as a lot of people do :rolleyes:

There are people who treat starbucks coffee mugs as status symbols, tbh I find them as annoying as the people who assume anyone holding a starbucks mug thinks it's a status symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

You never see a poser with an aldi bag

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote:
    its probably the lads down in Insomnia that are spreading the rumors

Doubt it: even Insomnia's coffee is nicer than Starbucks. And that's saying a lot.
    You people realise you're arguing over something completely based on subjective preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so what we learnt.

if you like starbucks.

You're a retard

if you don't like starbucks

you're a retard.

If you have a starbucks mug

you're a retard

if you don't

you're a retard.

AH - Now you're edumacating.

I'd agree on hotels and bars, but what coffee shops do worse coffee than Starbucks? I can't be getting lucky every single time I go to any coffee shop and get better coffee than in Starbucks, surely?

I like Costa and insomnia but I've had coffee in the smaller coffee shops which have been harsh of the taste buds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Starbucks is fine.

People who complain about them are usually the ones mentioned by the OP who are against these multinationals for some some strange, vague reason regarding "evilness".

The same people have no problem wearing their trendy clothes made in Bangledesh and using their shiny new smartphones and laptops produced at Foxxcon.

And you know how to use the mouse to click on a link, yep ?

I feel we are making such great progress here.

Wow, you actually want me to explain. I though this was just some schoolboy attempt at humour. This isa new low.

My amazement& distain at the length's some people will go to to villify certain nationalities and religions has dragged me further into discussing this than I really want to. I have no interest in sectarian internet bully boys. You can attempt to be subtle with your sectarianism, dress it up in politics, whatever floats your boat, but anti-jewish & anti-israeli propaganda is as old as the hills and just as boring.

We're done here, I've cup of coffee to go and buy....

I must try that 3rd floor espresso. I think someone else mentioned them a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I like Costa and insomnia but I've had coffee in the smaller coffee shops which have been harsh of the taste buds.

it doesn't really matter if it's costa or insomina or starbucks or the local cafe.

the vast majority of the staff in all locations know little or nothing about how to make coffee have no interest in coffee and have never received any proper training.

the chances of getting a well done coffee in any of these places is generally a complete fluke by the employee or you happen to find the one guy/girl who has a genuine interest in it.

Wow, you actually want me to explain. I though this was just some schoolboy attempt at humour. This isa new low.

My amazement& distain at the length's some people will go to to villify certain nationalities and religions has dragged me further into discussing this than I really want to. I have no interest in sectarian internet bully boys. You can attempt to be subtle with your sectarianism, dress it up in politics, whatever floats your boat, but anti-jewish & anti-israeli propaganda is as old as the hills and just as boring.

We're done here, I've cup of coffee to go and buy....

If there are any factual inaccuracies in the link referenced - by all means point them out.

Perhaps you can also demonstrate how referencing Starbucks links with zionism equals :
    ....villify certain nationalities and religions ........... sectarian internet bully boys. .......subtle with your sectarianism, ....... anti-jewish & anti-israeli propaganda is as old as the hills and just as boring.

Because otherwise your reaction to that link is beyond hysterical and full of the usual bluff and bluster bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Starbucks is the devil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

murpho999 wrote: »
    So where do you go for a good cup of coffee?
    Dad's kitchen, first thing in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

I think its 2012, and its time Irish people got over the fact that there are more than 2 types of coffee, gold blend and carte noire (for special occasions).

The jokes about half skinny chocolate mochachocachinos hold the marshmallows are a bit Ross O Carroll Kelly circa 2003. There are lots of different coffee drinks, think of it like a pub, you dont just go in and say "Beer please", unless you are a raving muck savage.

I think the Starbucks style coffee shops are a great addition to what was frankly a completely non-existent coffee shop culture, bar a few notable independent coffee shops. Comfortable couches, wifi, etc. Sure a certain "look at me" crowd frequent them at times, but the same is true of some of Dublins best old pubs come Friday night.

As for the coffee, the people have spoken. Proper coffee it isn't, but their coffee-based drinks are very tasty, and very popular. I too have bought their beans for my grinder and they are so over roasted and oily they clogged my grinder. I wouldnt drink their espresso, but their ginger bread latte's etc are tasty!

I agree the worst coffee in Ireland has to go to insomnia. It is so bitter and hot and disgusting. Who keeps them in business?

Also, Fixx-Coffee FTFW!!!!

jackal wrote: »
    I think its 2012, and its time Irish people got over the fact that there are more than 2 types of coffee, gold blend and carte noire (for special occasions).

The jokes about half skinny chocolate mochachocachinos hold the marshmallows are a bit Ross O Carroll Kelly circa 2003. There are lots of different coffee drinks, think of it like a pub, you dont just go in and say "Beer please", unless you are a raving muck savage.

I think the Starbucks style coffee shops are a great addition to what was frankly a completely non-existent coffee shop culture, bar a few notable independent coffee shops. Comfortable couches, wifi, etc. Sure a certain "look at me" crowd frequent them at times, but the same is true of some of Dublins best old pubs come Friday night.

As for the coffee, the people have spoken. Proper coffee it isn't, but their coffee-based drinks are very tasty, and very popular. I too have bought their beans for my grinder and they are so over roasted and oily they clogged my grinder. I wouldnt drink their espresso, but their ginger bread latte's etc are tasty!

I agree the worst coffee in Ireland has to go to insomnia. It is so bitter and hot and disgusting. Who keeps them in business?

I have actually started using insomnia, their cappucino's are good and also much better value thatn SB's. It's another chain so you get the usual featureless uniformly bland shops and artificial uniform politeness but otherwise they are ok. Quick and cheaper than sb's.

If you want places with character go to actual restaurants, if your on the move & getting a takeout then insomnia are not the worst. KC Peaches are ok too, also their pistachio tart is phenomonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Only someone with the brain of Derek Zoolander would pay more than €2 for a cup of coffee.

*blue steel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

seamus wrote: »
    Ignore them and enjoy your coffee.

Good luck trying to do that in Starbucks, their coffee is putrid.

• Advertisement

I must try that 3rd floor espresso. I think someone else mentioned them a while back.

Do, they're really good :D

I have actually started using insomnia, their cappucino's are good and also much better value thatn SB's. It's another chain so you get the usual featureless uniformly bland shops and artificial uniform politeness but otherwise they are ok. Quick and cheaper than sb's.

If you want places with character go to actual restaurants, if your on the move & getting a takeout then insomnia are not the worst. KC Peaches are ok too, also their pistachio tart is phenomonal.

Have to argee here!
    I get my double macchiato in the Insomnia on Jervis St (luas Stop). Very very nice in there, but then on my break the odd odd time I go to the Insomnai in the Spar on Talbot st, worst coffee makers in Dublin, the staff are always changing from till staff at the sweet counter to the Deli counter back to the Insomina counter, so there is no one or two staff making coffee just the random staff making **** coffee, very bad Insomnia there!

I do find most Insomina's have rubbish burnt extremely hot watered down coffee, but the 'odd' Insomina take on a propper bistro and this shows!

jackal wrote: »

But at least all beer (regardless of the brand) actually has er...beer in it :D You dont see pubs selling plastic smoothie-holders filled up with marshmallows, cream and crushed ice with a dash of beer, masquerading as something more special than a bastardisation of an already perfect product :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

SPAR coffee from the machine is good if you get the Tim Horton's brand IMO.

SPAR coffee from the machine is good if you get the Tim Horton's brand IMO.
    There's a place on westmoreland street (londis?) that does decent enough takeaway coffee for one euro :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement