Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

SPAR coffee from the machine is good if you get the Tim Horton's brand IMO.

The hot chocolate one is lovely on those machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

RichieC wrote: »
    Their CEO is a zionist.
    I didn't know they served juice in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    But at least all beer (regardless of the brand) actually has er...beer in it :D You dont see pubs selling plastic smoothie-holders filled up with marshmallows, cream and crushed ice with a dash of beer, masquerading as something more special than a bastardisation of an already perfect product :)

I think a lot of Starbucks coffee drinkers would simply not like the taste of a well made espresso or americano, so what they have done is taken something that costs 30-60 cent to make, depending on the level of cream, milk, marshmallows, flavor syrups, sprinkles, ice, dusting etc and flog it to people who would otherwise not drink or like coffee, for €3.90 - €5.00 a pop.

Quite frankly its brilliant.

Some of their largest sized coffee based drinks you could probably classify as coffeeopathy - at one time it may have had coffee in it, but its been diluted to trace elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In the States,

"Can I get a Large Latté please"
    "Sure, what's your name?"
    "Eh.....foxyboxer"

Minutes later, a pompously theatrical announcement of;

"I've got a Large Latté for foxyboxer!"

*just......give.......me......my......coffee......* :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jackal wrote: »
    I think a lot of Starbucks coffee drinkers would simply not like the taste of a well made espresso or americano, so what they have done is taken something that costs 30-60 cent to make, depending on the level of cream, milk, marshmallows, flavor syrups, sprinkles, ice, dusting etc and flog it to people who would otherwise not drink or like coffee, for €3.90 - €5.00 a pop.

Quite frankly its brilliant.

Some of their largest sized coffee based drinks you could probably classify as coffeeopathy - at one time it may have had coffee in it, but its been diluted to trace elements.

Coffeopathy lol, funniest thing I've heard all day :D that's brilliant :D

But wait...wouldn't that mean....their coffee is "stronger" than the ones with more caffeine? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Anyone else remember the style of newspaper article that used to go something along the lines of: 'those celtic tiger cubs, think they're so great with their mocha-frappacinos and their lattes hurr hurr hurr'
    And I'm just like: No f*cks given over here!

Yes, Journalist, there is in fact more than one type of coffee, and some people like theirs with sugar and chocolate and things in it. SHOCKING, I KNOW. But acknowledging sneeringly the fact that Irish society has changed sicnce 1985 (who would have thought?) is not actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

krudler wrote: »
    there was someone one my facebook friends who constantly takes pictures of food and coffee and use Instamatic for it all. the. fcuking. time. its like the epitome of hipster wankerishness.

imagine seeing pics like this on your facebook every day without fail:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7166/6825267929_9f18211d2d_z.jpg

I would see pics like that every day without fail for two days, perhaps three. Then I would use the block button so I no longer had to endure it. Like the person that started a week long countdown to her birthday on my Facebook recently...

Her; 7 days to go to my birthday woohoo
    Me; Ok...
    Her; 6 days to go can'tttt waitttt
    Me; Am I gonna have this every day?
    Her; 5 days to go to pressies and cakes day aaaaaaaaahhhh
    Me; FUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK OFFFF! *block* Ahhh, peace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

The coffee is muck and it's too expensive and I prefer to support local businesses over large multinationals, particularly now in a crisis. Theyre the reasons I don't go there. I'm not avoiding just to be hip :confused: As far as I know, nobody has a clue I avoid the place. I don't broadcast it to the world. Nothing wrong with having some principles ffs.

Anyway, I thought hipsters went to Starbucks? Are some of you confusing crusties with hipsters? Big difference you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Sachet of nescafe cappuccino & hot water. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    The coffee is muck and it's too expensive and I prefer to support local businesses over large multinationals, particularly now in a crisis. Theyre the reasons I don't go there. I'm not avoiding just to be hip :confused: As far as I know, nobody has a clue I avoid the place. I don't broadcast it to the world. Nothing wrong with having some principles ffs.

Anyway, I thought hipsters went to Starbucks? Are some of you confusing crusties with hipsters? Big difference you know!

Starbucks is waaay too mainstream for hipsters. COFFEE is too mainstream for hipsters.

• Advertisement

Starbucks Coffee is better than no coffee at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In the States,

"Can I get a Large Latté please"
    "Sure, what's your name?"
    "Eh.....foxyboxer"

Minutes later, a pompously theatrical announcement of;

"I've got a Large Latté for foxyboxer!"

*just......give.......me......my......coffee......* :mad:

you sound like great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

As cool as the "their coffee is ****e!" stories are, bro, that's not really what I'm looking for with this thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Starbucks Coffee is better than no coffee at all.

Disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

folamh wrote: »
    As cool as the "their coffee is ****e!" stories are, bro, that's not really what I'm looking for with this thread. Thanks.
    You got your answer. Its our thread now Dave.

ntlbell wrote: »
    you sound like great craic.

But my mom says I'm cool!

Unnecessarily OTT displays of 'totally awesome' customer service make me cringe and die a little inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Unnecessarily OTT displays of 'totally awesome' customer service make me cringe and die a little inside.

This never seems to happen in brothels.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

A few weeks ago there was an offer on in Starbucks, you go in and tell them your name and you get a free cappucino or something. I suppose that was the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You people realise you're arguing over something completely based on subjective preference

It's called 'the internet'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I think its 2012, and its time Irish people got over the fact that there are more than 2 types of coffee, gold blend and carte noire (for special occasions).

The jokes about half skinny chocolate mochachocachinos hold the marshmallows are a bit Ross O Carroll Kelly circa 2003. There are lots of different coffee drinks, think of it like a pub, you dont just go in and say "Beer please", unless you are a raving muck savage.

I think the Starbucks style coffee shops are a great addition to what was frankly a completely non-existent coffee shop culture, bar a few notable independent coffee shops. Comfortable couches, wifi, etc. Sure a certain "look at me" crowd frequent them at times, but the same is true of some of Dublins best old pubs come Friday night.

As for the coffee, the people have spoken. Proper coffee it isn't, but their coffee-based drinks are very tasty, and very popular. I too have bought their beans for my grinder and they are so over roasted and oily they clogged my grinder. I wouldn't drink their espresso, but their ginger bread latte's etc are tasty!

I agree the worst coffee in Ireland has to go to insomnia. It is so bitter and hot and disgusting. Who keeps them in business?

Starbucks do a Java choco chip coffee with whipped cream on top, which is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do Starbucks still charge 3 euro for a cup of hto water and a tea bag?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

McDonalds coffee all the way.

So so so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

krudler wrote: »
    Tim Hortons ftw

Jeebus no! Bring back Insomnia to Spar I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

davet82 wrote: »
    their coffee i can only desribe as being served warm... i've been told this is to stop possible legal action in case anybody is scolded, anybody confirm that rumor? Their coffee may be nice if you could get it served hot

I would imagine so. Mc Donalds has definitely got this policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Starbucks is nice :) I love the frappacinio <3

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

A few weeks back on the bus there was these posh kids chatting away on the bus, one of them said "i'll read up on my psychcology in starbuck's, i'll look very studious" I thought right away "You'll look gay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

I was handed what was apparently a cup of 'tea' in starbucks before. Rotten.

Anyways, back to coffee.

The Bald Barista on Aungier St, Dublin is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Actually yeah I wanna nice coffee so bad, the bad coffee in dublin is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

Even Butlers?

My butler cant make coffee for ****e. One is thinking of having him killed to teach the rest of the help a lesson. Doesnt anyone use flasks anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Actually yeah I wanna nice coffee so bad, the bad coffee in dublin is shocking

The key is avoid major chain stores i.e Starbucks, Insomnia etc

I'm not a coffee snob, just prefer something that's actually pleasant to drink.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Starbucks are just like any other franchise (inc Supermacs) but they are much much bigger, because they started a franchise in an industry which was already pretty well represented with cafe's and diners (in america) and Ma Reillys cup o tae ( substitute Reillys with your towns "favorite family who own all the sh*t in town") and they just took off because nobody else was able to compete with a corporate entity as they were all just mom and pop businesses and for a long time nobody even tried. For years McDonalds or BurgerKing came to town trying to compete against all the other restaurants but Starbuck's had it easy by comparison.

It does not make their actions evil ( though I hate walking into a franchise/ knowing it is replicated everywhere in the world selling exactly the same stuff and things.) a little local flavor goes a long way. Recently watched a film about corporations on netflix (helpfully called corporation) which does describe the corporation's actions "ticking all the boxes of the psychopath) even though the people involved may be good people (recycle and everything ) decisions are usually favored towards profit and making a environmentally / ethically bad decision is weighed by profits against risk of losing profits through lawsuit/fines.

all that being said I have no reason to believe starbucks behaves in an unethical manner, though it would not surprise me, as any system geared towards profit will seek it out everywhere -

hows about a thanks if you have lost a job to corporate greed / profit over people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I can't really spend too much time around hipsters without feeling a stroke developing so I tend to avoid Starbucks.

On a side note, Crackbird nearly finished be off >:(

Posing little gimps constantly "checking in" and tweeting.....just die, you have no substance.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Jorah wrote: »
    I know the Pro-Palestine crowd hates Starbucks.

The Pro-Palestine crowd seem to hate everyone in fairness`:pac:

As For starbucks? I like there coffee. I like the basic filter coffee. I have a loyalty card which makes it work out at 2 euros for a large coffee.

I dont like the coffee from Insomnia. i find its burnt most of the time. Costa can be hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I agree the worst coffee in Ireland has to go to insomnia. It is so bitter and hot and disgusting. Who keeps them in business?

It's a mixed bag with Insomnia's coffee's. It completely depends on which one you go to and who makes your coffee. Iv found Insomnia cafes that are located inside the Spars the Barista usually burns the coffee and has a horrible, scolding burning taste to it. Better off going into one of the proper Insomnia Cafes and if you like the coffee made there then it's fine. Personally I like Insomnia, id prefer them to Starbucks anyway.

There's a new place called 'Art of Coffee' that opened up recently across from the Hartcourt Street LUAS stop (and ironically across from the Starbucks there) and they make excellent coffee, probably the best iv had so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I can't really spend too much time around hipsters without feeling a stroke developing so I tend to avoid Starbucks.

Avoiding Starbucks is too mainstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Archeron wrote: »
    My butler cant make coffee for ****e. One is thinking of having him killed to teach the rest of the help a lesson. Doesnt anyone use flasks anymore?

Yup, I bring a flask of percolated goodness to my desk every day :D Our company spent hundreds on jazzy snazzy machines that dispense sh1te :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Sorry to bump, but I have a question: do ye really see that many "hipsters" in Irish Starbucks? I get the feeling people are complaining based on what they've heard about an American trend. Whenever I go there it seems to be mostly "normal" people (for lack of a better word lol).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Sorry to bump, but I have a question: do ye really see that many "hipsters" in Irish Starbucks? I get the feeling people are complaining based on what they've heard about an American trend. Whenever I go there it seems to be mostly "normal" people (for lack of a better word lol).

There is NEVER hipsters in Starbuck, just normal folk & just people who DO NOT KNOW WHAT COFFEE SHOULD TASTE LIKE!

Hipsters drink coffee in coffee shops hidden in hipster bars and the like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

It seems to be mothers with their babies there mostly.
    I don't mind their coffee although I only drink it black and my pallet is unrefined .
    I hate the phoney enthusiasm from the staff. At least I hope it's phoney, they couldn't be that excited about coffe could they?

Advertisement