Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Irish Children found among those trafficked for sex trade : (

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/six-children-forced-sex-trade-180808639.html

Are there really enough pedos in Ireland that the pimps in this case can actually use children like this and not worry that no one will report them? Call my naive but how can they operate without someone reporting them? Surely the majority of men that use prostitutes would have enough morals to report that children are being used or is a case that if you're scummy enough to use prostitutes you're scummy enough to turn a blind eye to the fact children are being abused like this? :eek::confused::mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its more a case most men who use prostitutes go for women their own age.
    If youre the kinda person who looks for a kid prostitute your not gonna be the one who reports it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

curlzy wrote: »
    Surely the majority of men that use prostitutes would have enough morals to report that children are being used
    "Eh, yeah, hi Garda. I was looking for a prostitute the other day, and I came across this woman who I think might be a little too young. You might look into that".

I'm not being blasé, but do you really think that someone would walk into a Garda station and voluntarily report that they accidentally solicited a child for sex?

Assuming that someone would have the good grace to refuse to have sex with the child, that person will likely just walk away and forget about it, "It's not my problem". Pursuing it will only open a world of hurt for themselves.

In many cases, the way these children are presented the client will probably not jump to the conclusion that they're underage and since the prostitute usually displays a willingness to do the deed, any hesitation the client has about it is removed because the act appears to be mutually consensual.

I think what's most concerning is that a child who is presumably well recorded in the Irish system can be used like this by a parent or guardian without anyone noticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I presume they are the children of immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

... a case that if you're scummy enough to use prostitutes you're scummy enough to turn a blind eye to the fact children are being abused like this? :eek::confused::mad::(

Sort of. They are after one thing. I don't think they are going put too much thought into whether the prostitute they are using is 15 or 18, especially when it comes to girls of an immigrant background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why?

Would that make it less evil?
    Would you care less?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Doesn't the new law mean someone can get 10 years for not reporting this sort of thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sharrow wrote: »
    Why?

Would you care less?

I’d say it’s more to do that people like them can often live on the margins. Afraid to turn to the authorities as they may or may not be here legally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/six-children-forced-sex-trade-180808639.html

Are there really enough pedos in Ireland that the pimps in this case can actually use children like this and not worry that no one will report them? Call my naive but how can they operate without someone reporting them? Surely the majority of men that use prostitutes would have enough morals to report that children are being used or is a case that if you're scummy enough to use prostitutes you're scummy enough to turn a blind eye to the fact children are being abused like this? :eek::confused::mad::(

here's a bit of a :eek::confused::eek: for you considering your views on prositution. A short while ago go there was a guy in Cork who operated an agency/brothel who reported a number of men looking for underage girls. He ended up getting done himself for operating the agency/brothel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why?

Would you care less?

It wouldn't make it less evil but if they are children of illegal immigrants then perhaps their records would not be as strong as other children's. It might be easier for them to slip through the net? I don't know really :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Now they're taking our children too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Why?

Would you care less?

No its because I am so used to hearing horror stories about children being trafficked by people who have just arrived here.
    How many times have we heard stories of underage Romanian girls going missing to marry some lad back home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

According to the article, yes.

There was a brothel owner in Cork a coupla years who reported someone who came in looking for a young girl to the Gardai. Tried to do the right thing, ended up in court himself. The people in a position to report these things to the police generally won't do so out of self-preservation, there's no medals for anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why?

Would you care less?
    I think it's a fair question to ask. There's a reason why so few of these trafficked children are Irish, and that's likely because it would be quite difficult for a number of reasons to keep a documented Irish child in the sex trade in Ireland.

However the Irish child of an non-Irish immigrant would be harder to keep tabs on (especially if they were brought out of the country for any period of time before being brought back), and it would explain how some Irish children ended up being trafficked.

The worst thing is that in general it's somehow seen as more appalling if these are Irish children being trafficked rather than Roma or African children, which is why the article felt the need to highlight that six of them were Irish.

If the report hadn't stated the nationality of the children, would the media have bothered reporting it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oh look. Another Church bashing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh look. Another Church bashing thread

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

stovelid wrote: »
    According to the article, yes.

can you quote the part of the article that says that. I've read it a ferw times and can't see where it says that

Six Irish children....................Thirteen were minors and seven of those - including the six Irish youngsters - had been forced in to the sex trade..................

Another [URL="Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/six-children-forced-into-sex-trade-16152630.html#ixzz1tiRbf9TB"]article on it[/URL]

Thirteen were minors and seven of those - including the six Irish youngsters - had been forced in to the sex trade.

The indo version

Six Irish children were among 57 alleged victims of human trafficking reported to gardai last year, it has emerged

No where in any of the articles does it describe the Irish children as children of illegal immigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

here's a bit of a :eek::confused::eek: for you considering your views on prositution. A short while ago go there was a guy in Cork who operated an agency/brothel who reported a number of men looking for underage girls. He ended up getting done himself for operating the agency/brothel.
    There was a brothel owner in Cork a coupla years who reported someone who came in looking for a young girl to the Gardai. Tried to do the right thing, ended up in court himself. The people in a position to report these things to the police generally won't do so out of self-preservation, there's no medals for anyone who does.

So he got done for being involved in illegal activity, he wasn't doing the right thing to start with.

It is the facilitation of people who buys sex that leads to adults and children being trafficked into prostitution.
    They even have this problem in Amsterdam as legality of adult prostitution does not remove the problem.

I have no time for anybody who runs a brothel.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    I have no time for anybody who runs a brothel.

Because it's illegal or for moral reasons? Either way I disagree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where?

Yes, I can't see any mention of Charlotte either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

ok, here's a novel idea:

regulate the sex trade so consenting adults can do what they like with their own bodies thus cutting out the need for (forced or under false pretence) trafficking at all, making it easier for punters and operators alike to report unlawful/suspect requests and free Garda time to focus on proper illegal prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ok, here's a novel idea:
    regulate the sex trade so consenting adults can do what they like with their own bodies thus cutting out the need for (forced or under false pretence) trafficking at all, making it easier for punters and operators alike to report unlawful/suspect requests and free Garda time to focus on proper illegal prostitution.

Places with "regulated" sex trades still have major issues with trafficking and children. Regulating it doesn't remove the scum element.

It is exploiting people, would you want yor sister, your mother your brother, your father, your own children being involved in prostitution?

There are a lot of people who are in prostitution not of their own free will and there are a lot of people who don't care once they get their orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

seamus wrote: »
    The worst thing is that in general it's somehow seen as more appalling if these are Irish children being trafficked rather than Roma or African children, which is why the article felt the need to highlight that six of them were Irish.
    Exactly. Nationality isn't the issue, and its pretty disgusting to make out that it is.
    Maybe his time isn't spent with the owner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

This is nothing new to me at all ... the Government and it's agencies knew all of this as early as 1999 but chose to ignore it. Having worked in the area of Refugees and Asylum seekers for many years my one main attempt at voicing concern was brought to the attention of my boss by the dept. for unaccomapanied minors, and my boss duly forced me to write a letter retracting all of my observations. If the dept. gave a toss, they'd have contacted ME instead of trying to lose me my job.

This is, as Ruhama put it (they're not a State agency) "The tip of the iceberg". What usually happens is:

1/ Girl of 15 - 20 arrives here as an unaccompanied minor

2/ Talks to no one for a couple of months

3/ Then relaxes, gets sociable for a while

4/ Dude in expensive car turns up for a few evenings in a row, hushed conversations. Usually foreign / same nationality

5/ Girl disappears for nights on end, sometimes a full week (no one gave a sh1t)

6/ At this point they're usually on drugs

7/ Girl is found in a busted brothel in Dublin

That's basically about it. There's no real problem with reportage at all ... the problem is that senior care workers are on obscene money and all most of them care about is shifting responsibility / hushing things up in order to protect their wages ... and not anything to do with the people they're meant to be protecting.

At the end of the day you can report all you like. I can report the weather outside to my cat, but it won't make much difference.

Having seen the reality, Alan Shatter just peddles spin of the most revolting nature.

prinz wrote: »
    Places with "regulated" sex trades still have major issues with trafficking and children. Regulating it doesn't remove the scum element.

please note where i, in short, note that a regulated industry free's up the authorities time to deal with the very bad elements of the industry. real regulation gives the 'normal' sex trade a voice - keeping it underground keeps the real scum underground

ok, here's a novel idea:

That doesn't happen.

Where prostitution islegal and regulated there is still the problem of people trafficked into the sex industry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8457172.stm
    There were nearly 500 women rescued last year according to Dutch police.
    "Each year we have more cases," I was told by a policeman who runs an undercover team that infiltrates trafficking gangs.

The industry is worth "millions of euros", he said. "The recruiters are getting money, the transporters are getting money, the exploiters are getting that money."
    "Only the girls will get nothing," he adds.

In an attempt to make the area easier to police, the local authorities are forcibly buying up nearly half of the 482 brothels in the red light district and closing them down.
    But it is not difficult to find a British stag weekender, a bright young man who had admitted to using a prostitute.
    I told him that many prostitutes in Amsterdam had been trafficked.
    "I don't agree with that, I think it's awful," he said, but admitted it probably would not stop him using a prostitute again that night.
    "I disagree with it, but at the end of the day it's just what happens, like. You can't do anything about it. You're just here to have fun, and do things you won't get away with back home."

We need to prosecute the users of prostitutes and to have the user's name published in national newspapers.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    It is exploiting people, would you want yor sister, your mother your brother, your father, your own children being involved in prostitution?
    QUOTE]

i also wouldn't like them to be strippers, coal miners, childrens party clowns, a member of Dirty Sanchez or a Bertie Aherns Personal Blame taker...

but at the end of the day, i can't stop them doing anything they wanted.

Advertisement