Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Irish Children found among those trafficked for sex trade : (

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

please note where i, in short, note that a regulated industry free's up the authorities time to deal with the very bad elements of the industry. real regulation gives the 'normal' sex trade a voice - keeping it underground keeps the real scum underground

But it doesn't free up the authorities does it? Because of on top of trying to hunt down the scum elements, you'll also have to keep on top of the so called regulated industry. It just increases the number of establishments you need to keep a very close eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Min wrote: »
    That doesn't happen.

Where prostitution islegal and regulated there is still the problem of people trafficked into the sex industry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8457172.stm

We need to prosecute the users of prostitutes and to have the user's name published in national newspapers.

'trafficking' is facilitating ellegal immigration - not forced/illegal prostitution

It is exploiting people, would you want yor sister, your mother your brother, your father, your own children being involved in prostitution?
    No, same as I wouldn't want them in an army or in politics.
    There are a lot of people who are in prostitution not of their own free will and there are a lot of people who don't care once they get their orgasm.
    Better to be able to differentiate between them IMO. Assuming all are being forced doesn't particularly help.

Also as posted above there were 500 women rescued in Holland, how many are rescued here on in Britain with a far higher population? Regulation won't completely eradicate problems but it seems that in Holland at least sometimes they can do something to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is exploiting people, would you want yor sister, your mother your brother, your father, your own children being involved in prostitution?
    QUOTE]

i also wouldn't like them to be strippers, coal miners, childrens party clowns, a member of Dirty Sanchez or a Bertie Aherns Personal Blame taker...

but at the end of the day, i can't stop them doing anything they wanted.

But a lot of people involved in prostitution are not there because they want to be.

No, same as I wouldn't want them in an army or in politics.

Better to be able to differentiate between them IMO. Assuming all are being forced doesn't particularly help.

Also as posted above there were 500 women rescued in Holland, how many are rescued here on in Britain with a far higher population? Regulation won't completely eradicate problems but it seems that in Holland at least sometimes they can do something to help.

..and all they are doing in the Netherlands is closing down and more and more brothels because they are finding themselves unable to control what they are suppose to be able to regulate.

• Advertisement

..and all they are doing in the Netherlands is closing down and more and more brothels because they are finding themselves unable to control what they are suppose to be able to regulate.

Are they closing down indiscriminately or targetting some for specific reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

But a lot of people involved in prostitution are not there because they want to be.
    And you say this based on what? Or is it just a baseless assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Equally you have women who do it through choice, maybe they would rather earn money by other means but they ultimately choose to do it. As much as I don't like it I don't think there is anything wrong with that decision nor is there anything wrong with a man who pays her for sex.

The real problem is when men target underage prostitutes and the people who traffic men/women against their will.

Have heard though that sadly a lot of the punters work in law enforcement so the chances of it being stamped out are probably small.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So he got done for being involved in illegal activity, he wasn't doing the right thing to start with.

It is the facilitation of people who buys sex that leads to adults and children being trafficked into prostitution.
    They even have this problem in Amsterdam as legality of adult prostitution does not remove the problem.

I have no time for anybody who runs a brothel.

I was merely putting forward the idea that men being envovled in prostitution doesn't nessicarly mean they are abusive scumbags. A point you sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Sharrow wrote: »
    Why?

Would that make it less evil?
    Would you care less?

I hate responses like this.

He never said any of that. Why would you ask those questions?

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    And you say this based on what? Or is it just a baseless assertion?

Well in Amsterdam it was stated that many of the prostitutes have been trafficked into the sex industry.

In Ireland it would be no diffeent and it was shown on Primetime how women are abused in this manner.

People who use prostitutes are pathetic and they don't care where their sexual fix comes from, they don't care if the woman is being forced to have sex.
    Do they ask have you been trafficked into the sex trade?
    These people who are not doing it of their own free will, are people who are frightened, probably illegally in the country, brought in under false pretences and too scared to tell anyone the truth about the depths of despair they have found themselves in.

They are controlled and ashamed about they are made do. It is terrible and for me, the people who use prostitutes and it doesn't matter if they are legal, the fact people use prostitutes is what fuels people ending up in sexual slavery.
    We need to prosecute the users, name and shame the users in public.

I was merely putting forward the idea that men being envovled in prostitution doesn't nessicarly mean they are abusive scumbags. A point you sorely missed.

They are scumbags as their actions are not without consequences for those who do not want to be in the sex trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

whirlpool wrote: »
    I hate responses like this.

He never said any of that. Why would you ask those questions?

Why would you immediately assume they're children of foreign illegal immigrants?

Are they closing down indiscriminately or targetting some for specific reasons?

Crime is the main reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Its truly disgusting what these people are doing. The poor kids.

micropig wrote: »
    Why would you immediately assume they're children of foreign illegal immigrants?

He/she never used the word "illegal"

I think its a fair assumption tbh, kids of immigrants are more likely to slip through the cracks more than an Irish child.

Plenty of reasons already on the thread. Children from an immigrant background would be easier to traffic, easier to hide, have more than likely less of an extended family/friend/neighbour network who would report them missing or the know how/know who to get authorities involved, perhaps more difficult to guess their real age from first appearances etc.

eviltwin wrote: »
    He/she never used the word "illegal"

I think its a fair assumption tbh, kids of immigrants are more likely to slip through the cracks more than an Irish child.

John O’Mahoney, Garda assistant commissioner, said recently that 114 children who have been reported missing in the past five years are still missing. A staggering 106 of those 114 children were reported missing while in care of the State.

114 children missing in Ireland over the last 5 years
    106 of these from state care

@prinz 'Plenty of reasons already on the thread.', but none in the article

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well in Amsterdam it was stated that many of the prostitutes have been trafficked into the sex industry.

In Ireland it would be no diffeent and it was shown on Primetime how women are abused in this manner.
    Most shows tend to have a bias on things leading towards the extreme to provoke people.
    People who use prostitutes are pathetic and they don't care where their sexual fix comes from, they don't care if the woman is being forced to have sex.
    Do they ask have you been trafficked into the sex trade?
    There can be many reasons for a man to solicit a prostitue, without any need to be a selfish deviant of sorts. Just because a guy doesn't enquire if a woman is trafficed doesn't mean they wouldn't care if they were to become aware the woman was trafficed.

You've got quite horrible opinion of some people...
    These people who are not doing it of their own free will, are people who are frightened, probably illegally in the country, brought in under false pretences and too scared to tell anyone the truth about the depths of despair they have found themselves in.
    They are controlled and ashamed about they are made do.

I would stand up and argue against people being forced into slavery and regularly abused as a result of it. But Prostituition itself is not the be all and end all of it.
    It is terrible and for me, the people who use prostitutes and it doesn't matter if they are legal, the fact people use prostitutes is what fuels people ending up in sexual slavery.
    We need to prosecute the users, name and shame the users in public.
    No we don't, some guy who just wants a bit of sex is not a problem. They didn't put a woman there against their will. We need to prosecute those who traffic, force and abuse other people.

They are scumbags as their actions are not without consequences for those who do not want to be in the sex trade.
    Their actions are of no consequence if it is not with someone who was forced. As is the case with that guy from Cork.

@prinz 'Plenty of reasons already on the thread.', but none in the article

I'd imagine that's why the poster started with 'I presume...'

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's why the poster started with 'I presume...'

Ah, I see, I'll presume it's just good old fashioned racism then

No history of child abuse in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

No doubt these were the children of immigrants and in that respect the thread title is a tad sensationalist and before a load of people wade into me that is NOT to suggest it is in any way less serious.
    Worth taking a healthily skeptical view of anything that comes from the Ruhama group - they are a re-incarnation of the Legion of Mary and in my view greatly exaggerate the extent of trafficking for their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Its amazing how people interpret things.

Its amazing how people interpret things.

yes it certainly is. It's very hard to believe that an Irish person could do something like that, but it's expected of the foreigners

Irish questioned over child-trafficking#

Eleven Irish couples are being questioned by police in Mexico investigating alleged child trafficking.

An official said four of the 10 children seized during the investigation involving Irish couples in western Mexico were sexually abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

How depressing 106 of the children missing were in the care of the state ! Where the fcuk where the people supposed to be caring for them ? I couldn't give a monkeys where they were originally from
    The fact nobody knows where they are or what's happened to them would be my primary concern . Heart breaking truely

Of course it has nothing to do with racism, we all are well aware of the level of abuse in Irish society sadly.

Prostitution is different though, women and children in prostitution are often from other countries for many reasons, they are not noticed as being missing, they are easier to control, they tend to have a fear of authority so are less likely to get help, they are unfamiliar with the laws ( possibly some are told that what is being done to them is completely legal ), they don't have the language skills to get help, don't know where to access it even if they wanted too etc etc

Those things make it easy for the pimps to control these people.

An Irish child would be noticed if they were missing ie if they didn't turn up to school one day. So that just makes it more risky for the pimp. Ultimately they are able to keep tighter reigns on their little empires if they can exert the most control and sadly that is easier to do with foreign nationals.

THIRTEEN CHILDREN UNDER the age of 18 were victims of alleged human trafficking last year.

Of those who were sexually exploited, six were girls and two were boys. Six of the 8 children allegedly trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation were Irish, while one was West African.

I suppose those 6 Irish children where foreign too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

THIRTEEN CHILDREN UNDER the age of 18 were victims of alleged human trafficking last year.

Of those who were sexually exploited, six were girls and two were boys. Six of the 8 children allegedly trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation were Irish, while one was West African.

I suppose those 6 Irish children where foreign too?

Possibly born to foreign parents. And at a risk of dumbing things down, if Interpol were told to keep a lookout for a few missing Irish children they probably had red hair and pale faces in mind.

Possibly born to foreign parents. And at a risk of dumbing things down, if Interpol were told to keep a lookout for a few missing Irish children they probably had red hair and pale faces in mind.

It's not the Gardai we're on about

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Tis just awful, awful Joe

Advertisement