Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Irish Children found among those trafficked for sex trade : (

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

If Ruhama could have their way you wouldn't even be able to see a pair of breasts on page 3 or buy a copy of PlayBoy, they are basically a front for the Catholic Church and have hi-jacked the issue of human trafficking to further their own crusade against sex-for-sale between consenting adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

eviltwin wrote: »
    Total bs....I was in the Legion for years as was my mother for years before me. working for or with prostitutes was never part of it.

Well. You were in the legion of Mary for years. Mary as the Mother of Jesus would help one of the most vulerable women in society i.e women who are exploitated and involved in the very sad and horrofic world of prostitution. Why do you refer to these women as prostitutes. First of all they are women as anyone can see even from a logical, human and Christian perspective so give them the respect they deserve and the respect they really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

prinz wrote: »
    So legalise it....and then slowly ban it and eradicate it again.

That's not how I'd put it.

I don't think drug use and prostitution will ever be eradicated. All we can do is try to reduce the harm that accompanies these lifestyle choices.

Making criminals of people for these choices is immoral, harmful and costly to society.
    Well. You were in the legion of Mary for years.

Were they the crowd that were doing 24/7 emergency rosaries outside the sex shops?

Oh how our civilisation has crumbled since those damned sex shops opened. People running up and down the street with dildos hanging out of every orifice.. :pac:

I was watching an Irish documentary a few months ago about prostitution here, the majority of the women involved in it were foreign and some were Irish. They said that it's mostly Irish men that they are getting. A lot of people there seemed to be blaming foreigners for it but it's Irish men that is paying for that. They have no conscious and show they have they have no respect for women. Would they let that be done to their own sister and mother? I don't know how they can sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well. You were in the legion of Mary for years. Mary as the Mother of Jesus would help one of the most vulerable women in society i.e women who are exploitated and involved in the very sad and horrofic world of prostitution. Why do you refer to these women as prostitutes. First of all they are women as anyone can see even from a logical, human and Christian perspective so give them the respect they deserve and the respect they really need.

What???? I call them prostitutes because that is what they are. What do you want me to call them?

• Advertisement

That's not how I'd put it.

I don't think drug use and prostitution will ever be eradicated. All we can do is try to reduce the harm that accompanies these lifestyle choices.

Making criminals of people for these choices is immoral, harmful and costly to society.

Were they the crowd that were doing 24/7 emergency rosaries outside the sex shops?

Oh how our civilisation has crumbled since those damned sex shops opened. People running up and down the street with dildos hanging out of every orifice.. :pac:

I don't know about Legion of Mary . All I know is that catholics are not all that Christian. If they want to help women on the streets and drug addicts, criminals and homeless people. are they on the frontline with them helping them like Jesus did or would be doing if on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't know about Legion of Mary . All I know is that catholics are not all that Christian. If they want to help women on the streets and drug addicts, criminals and homeless people. are they on the frontline with them helping them like Jesus did or would be doing if on earth.

They are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The_Thing wrote: »
    If Ruhama could have their way you wouldn't even be able to see a pair of breasts on page 3 or buy a copy of PlayBoy, they are basically a front for the Catholic Church and have hi-jacked the issue of human trafficking to further their own crusade against sex-for-sale between consenting adults.

+ 1 . That's why I don't bother reading articles that have an input from Ruhama in them - pure anti-sex propaganda that uses scare stories to promote its agenda.
    Like I said , Legion of Mary under a new name.

What???? I call them prostitutes because that is what they are. What do you want me to call them?

They are women. They are human.

Do you think that is an occupation? Do you think any women on earth thats involved in prositution wants to be called a prostitute.

You really Christian? It seem really very far for the basic things of christianity.

Do you think that is an occupation? Do you think any women on earth thats involved in prositution wants to be called a prostitute. You really Christian? It seem really very far for the basic things of christianity.

You're making no sense.

• Advertisement

They are.

Are they? Where? Women working is prostitution need to know they are women and human but the other poster who is from the legion of Mary calls them prostitutes. Do you think Jesus would call them prostitutes?

You're making no sense.

Well it seems you don't have the capacity to understand so I will leave it.

Are they? Where? Women working is prostitution need to know they are women and human but the other poster who is from the legion of Mary calls them prostitutes. Do you think Jesus would call them prostitutes?

Calling someone a prostitute for the sake of this discussion does not make them any less of a woman or a human... but to humour you..

In terms of prostitution and trafficking.......Ruhama
    Homeless............................................. Merchants Quay, Focus Ireland, the Simon Community was founded by a Catholic
    Drug abuse............................................Again the friars are Merchants Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The_Thing wrote: »

Neither of which would bother me or cause me to lose any sleep. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I was watching an Irish documentary a few months ago about prostitution here, the majority of the women involved in it were foreign and some were Irish. They said that it's mostly Irish men that they are getting. A lot of people there seemed to be blaming foreigners for it but it's Irish men that is paying for that. They have no conscious and show they have they have no respect for women. Would they let that be done to their own sister and mother? I don't know how they can sleep at night.

This 'would you want your daughter or mother doing it' ****ebollicks is a complete red herring. Obviously due to the 'ick' factor that people feel in relation to sex and family members the answer is going to be no. If you ask, 'would you like you daughter or mother to be in a threesome?!?elevntyone!' the answer, for most people, is going to be no, too. But it is more due to the ickiness of thinking of a family member engaging in unconventional (or any for a lot of people) sexual goings on that means the answer to that question is so uniform.

What pointless, diversionary nonsense.

Do you think that is an occupation? Do you think any women on earth thats involved in prositution wants to be called a prostitute.

You really Christian? It seem really very far for the basic things of christianity.

Of course they are human but they work as prostitutes. Its not an insult. There are far worse names we could use.

Calling someone a prostitute for the sake of this discussion does not make them any less of a woman or a human... but to humour you..

In terms of prostitution and trafficking.......Ruhama
    Homeless............................................. Merchants Quay, Focus Ireland, the Simon Community was founded by a Catholic
    Drug abuse............................................Again the friars are Merchants Quay

Well, 90% of people in Ireland call themselves 'catholic' but that could mean anything.

Of course they are human but they work as prostitutes. Its not an insult. There are far worse names we could use.

Well no one wants to be known to be know to used as a piece of meat and violated in every way a human being can be for money. If you ever worked with women involved in this, you know they don't need to to called prostitutes

Well no one wants to be known to be know to used as a piece of meat and violated in every way a human being can be for money. If you ever worked with women involved in this, you know they don't need to to called prostitutes

Courtesans? Ladies of the night? Roxannes?

Rose I have worked with prostitutes. Thats how they describe themselves. There is no shame in it, we do what we have to do to survive. I don't know where you get the idea people are treating them as less than human. I'm sure lots of people would like to help them but its a world that can be dangerous and hard to infiltrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Er...call a spade a spade? (And before I am lit on, no I am not calling prostitutes spades :D)

Rose I have worked with prostitutes. Thats how they describe themselves. There is no shame in it, we do what we have to do to survive. I don't know where you get the idea people are treating them as less than human. I'm sure lots of people would like to help them but its a world that can be dangerous and hard to infiltrate.

Well its seem you wouldnt be much good at all working with women involved in prostitution. Ruhuma cites prostitution as violence against women and violations of women's human rights. 'Prostitution and the accompanying evil of trafficking for prostitution, is incompatible with the dignity and worth of every human being' - UN Convention 1949.

Ruhuam does not call women prostitutes, it refers to them as women. You are referring to them as prositutes implying that that is all they are and you are attaching the label of 'prositute' your labelling them and that makes it harder for them to get out of that horrible world of prostitution.

You say they is no shame in prostitution? there no shame in giving you rights away as a human being and as a woman to be violated and exploitated and you say women involved in that are not ashamed so actually want to be violated? It seems you don't know how to use your head to fully think and see the way how things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

What shall we call them instead?

I really dont understand why some people on here have an issue with calling a prostitute a prostitute. Am I missing something? :confused: Would it be racist to call a black person "black"? Is it homphobic to call a gay person "homosexual"? No.

By telling us that it is "wrong" to use the word "prostitute" to describe a prostitute, you are conveying the message that prostitution is bad and dirty. Of course they are women, nobody is trying to say they cease being female when they become prostitutes, no more than a woman ceases being female when she becomes a nurse or a teacher or a bin collector or a zoo-keeper or a heroin addict or a shop assistant etc

IrishAm wrote: »
    What shall we call them instead?

Well Ruhama refers to them as women not prostitutes. Or do you want with society continue to label them as prostitutes so they it will make it harder for them to get out of that world.

Do you not want them to see themselves as woman you only want to see themselves as sex slaves trapped into a horrible world of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Well Ruhama refers to them as women not prostitutes. Or do you want with society continue to label them as prostitutes so they it will make it harder for them to get out of that world.

Do you not want them to see themselves as woman you only want to see themselves as sex slaves trapped into a horrible world of this.

I will refer to them as brassers.

This is what Ruhama cites they 'regards prostitution as violence against women and violations of women's human rights. 'Prostitution and the accompanying evil of trafficking for prostitution, is incompatible with the dignity and worth of every human being' - UN Convention 1949.

Most women involved in prosititution do not want to be invovled in that so the term prostitutes should not be attached to them. Women are usally forced to work in this for a few reasons so it's not voluntary that they enter into this world so why should socety and you people attach the name prostitute to them when they didn't agree to work in this world and do not want to work in this world but they are force in to it against their will.

IrishAm wrote: »
    I will refer to them as brassers.

Thats a degregory term for society's most vulnerable women exploitated and violated, trapped in the world of prostitution

Well its seem you wouldnt be much good at all working with women involved in womenhood. Ruhuma cites womenhood as violence against women and violations of women's human rights. 'Womanhood and the accompanying evil of trafficking for womanhood, is incompatible with the dignity and worth of every human being' - UN Convention 1949. Ruhuam does not call women women, it refers to them as women. You are referring to them as women implying that that is all they are and you are attaching the label of 'woman' your labelling them and that makes it harder for them to get out of that horrible world of womanhood..

FYP. Although it gets confusing after a while, so it's just easier to call a prostitute a prostitute without meaning it in a derogatory fashion.

It's interesting you using Ruhama as a standard though. Not long ago you were insinuating there were no Catholics/Catholic groups working in this area.

• Advertisement

This is what Ruhama cites they 'regards prostitution as violence against women and violations of women's human rights. 'Prostitution and the accompanying evil of trafficking for prostitution, is incompatible with the dignity and worth of every human being' - UN Convention 1949.

Most women involved in prosititution do not want to be invovled in that so the term prostitutes should not be attached to them. Women are usally forced to work in this for a few reasons so it's not voluntary that they enter into this world so why should socety and you people attach the name prostitute to them when they didn't agree to work in this world and do not want to work in this world but they are force in to it against their will.

That's like saying heroin addicts should not be called heroin addicts.

Advertisement