Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended connection speed for WCF web services?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am looking to set up a PHP site that accesses a wcf web service... Anyway the client has asked me to recommend what broadband speed they should have on the server that hosts the web service.

I want a fairly instantaneous response from the server because there could be several (4 or 5 to 20 depending on the page) transactions per page load, though only about 100 visitors to the site per day.

So any ideas on how fast my connection should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

komodosp wrote: »
    Hi folks

I am looking to set up a PHP site that accesses a wcf web service... Anyway the client has asked me to recommend what broadband speed they should have on the server that hosts the web service.

I want a fairly instantaneous response from the server because there could be several (4 or 5 to 20 depending on the page) transactions per page load, though only about 100 visitors to the site per day.

So any ideas on how fast my connection should be?

One them how long is a piece of string type questions. Exactly how much data is being sent up and down the line? How long is that line?

How fast is their current broadband speed? i.e. what are they paying for and what are they getting?

Is the IP address static?

Are they on a business package? ISP might not like you hosting a server on their service ... read the small print.

Shouldn't be too hard for you to create a simple wcf service on their server that would return roughly the amount of data you would be looking for and then call it from the server that will host the site ... and time how long that takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

No more than a couple of hundred bytes at a time. Unfortunately I don't have much control over this as I was just the one setting up the client. They have someone else setting up the server.

Advertisement