Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lasagne - how many layers of pasta should there be? Any good recipes?

• 02-05-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

How many layer of pasta is traditional or best or EU law?

Currently Im using a mix of cottage cheese and yoghurt (both low fat from tesco) instead of the traditional sauce but perhaps I should bite the bullet and learn how to make béchamel.

Im currently trying to perfect my recipe and Im not quiet there yet.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Em not too many and not too few. Depending on the amount of filling - about 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This recipe is great, if you want to keep it healthy there's no need for béschamel.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Three that's it
    Bechamel is easy make a roux (flour and butter) and add the milk slowly while whisking (boil the milk first with a studded onion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Three that's it
    Bechamel is easy make a roux (flour and butter) and add the milk slowly while whisking (boil the milk first with a studded onion)

A pinch of nutmeg works wonders too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You keep piling until you run out of space/pasta/meat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I use this recipe and it makes an amazing lasagne. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lasagne_82381

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Bechamel sauce as explained above is really not difficult to make, I also find nutmeg is the key to getting the flavour right.

However, I discovered Jamie Oliver's recipe for Lasagne and he uses creme fraiche instead of the white sauce. I find it makes the whole thing taste a bit "fresher" somehow.

As for how many layers, I would say that depends on the size of the dish, the amount of filling you have etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I use a can of cream of mushroom soup, thinned slightly with milk. It's my guilty secret / pleasure. I just love the mushroomy creaminess combined with the cheese melting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

reallyrose wrote: »
    I use a can of cream of mushroom soup, thinned slightly with milk. It's my guilty secret / pleasure. I just love the mushroomy creaminess combined with the cheese melting into it.

Breakin the law that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

minimum 3 layers and keep going as needed to use up all the meat mixture!

I have to say the Rachel Allen one is gorge and gets even better the next day! http://www.rachelallen.co.uk/recipes_september08.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

@tommycahir, that's a proper Italian lasagne that is.
    And very similar to how I make it. I like plenty of layers so I use a deep dish.
    Also, when it come out of the oven, I will leave it to 'set' for at least 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Anybody ever make seafood lasagna? How many layers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

@finisklin,
    IMO if you make a seafood lasagne it shouldn't be done the conventional way. I'd make an open lasagne with cooked pasta sheets and layered straight onto a plate with a seafood ragout.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I usually end up with about 6, though have gone as high as 10 with no negative results.

For the béchamel there's one vital thing to remember and that's to take the butter off the heat before you add the flour. Then add the milk back slowly on a gradually increasing heat while stirring constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So yours doesn't look like this? :pac:
    2010_05_17-Lasagna.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement