Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router for UPC

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'll be getting UPC set up in the next week or so, and because I'm cheap (and broke) I'll be going with their cheapest package, which means I need to pay for a wireless modem. They offer one on their site for €50.82...

Because this is cable does it mean that only certain routers will work? Like if I went into PC world or somewhere, would I be able to pick up their cheapest one and know it works? Or is there a specific type I need?

Cheers in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to buy what is called a cable router that is one that has not got a dsl modem built in.

For example the model supplied by Eircom, vodafone etc would combine a dsl modem with a wireless router.

You need a wireless router which will attach to the UPC modem via an ethernet cable.

Just a typical example:

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/62187-500-350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Im on UPC and the modems ethernet port is broken. So theres no hope in buying a cable router.
    If I buy a second hand EPC2425 (UPC's official wireless modem) or at the shops will it work or do I have to notify them and get charged for it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Im on UPC and the modems ethernet port is broken. So theres no hope in buying a cable router.
    If I buy a second hand EPC2425 (UPC's official wireless modem) or at the shops will it work or do I have to notify them and get charged for it?

Have you asked them to replace the modem for you? With UPC you cannot just buy a modem and add it to the network - UPC only allow the equipment which they provide to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you asked them to replace the modem for you? With UPC you cannot just buy a modem and add it to the network - UPC only allow the equipment which they provide to be added.

I see thanks will ring the as soon as I can.

Advertisement