Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nibe fighter 1245 running costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maryferr

Hi all, thanks for all the info on the NIBE F1245 heat pump. We are thinking of installing the same, 12KW with horizontal collectors to heat underfloor upstairs and down. Just wondering if you could pm me your installers, if they come recommended. Much Appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soundskin

windyboy wrote: »
    Hi Badger,

I presume if I set the Hot Water to Economy every day between 03:00 and 05:00 that this the same as having the Heat Pump Water Scheduled OFF every day between 05:00 - 03:00?

Perhaps you can post your current schedule configuration as set up on the HP to be sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks,

Windyboy

You'll have to schedule the water to be off between 05:00 to 03:00. Then it will under no circumstances run for Hot Water.

In comfort mode, if you have your hot water set to economy, then you set it for economy in scheduling from every day between 03:00 and 05:00, you aren't making any changes. It's like i said to a man once, it's like you are watching RTE1 and you pick up the remote and switch to RTE1.

Much more important to have your heating schedule right as 80%-90% of the time the heat pump is heating your house. So there is where the savings are made (or lost).

Also check the time&date is correct, since leap year of last year, some nibe 45 had a glitch for the leap day and got stuck on the 29-2-12

• Registered Users Posts: 5 villa fan

Hello all,
    I've read the messages with great interest. i've a nibe f1245 in also, in the house 18 months, find it great so far touch wood.Found some of the forums great when deciding about 2 years ago. Have a young baby in the house and weather hasn't warmed up enough to switch off heat till today. I was wondering if one of ye might be able to confirm how to switch the pump to heat domestic water only. last year i went into operation mode but not sure to leave additional heat /heating on or off. I'd be grateful if someone could get back to me thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I will be turning mine off tonight. I cant remember how iI did it last year of what I did to turn it back on back at the end of Sept. I will let you know what and how I do it later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Some thing I just realised. I turned off my heating last year on the 25 May.
    Will be turning it off the 22 May this year. Even with all the giving out about how cold the past few weeks of May have been. I just find it a little funny... :D

Hope to have my final ESB bill for the year come start of next month. Then I will know how much this little baby cost me to run for the whole year. Projections will be about €375 for heat pump and about €700 for ESB. Total ESB cost €1075

villa fan wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I've read the messages with great interest. i've a nibe f1245 in also, in the house 18 months, find it great so far touch wood.Found some of the forums great when deciding about 2 years ago. Have a young baby in the house and weather hasn't warmed up enough to switch off heat till today. I was wondering if one of ye might be able to confirm how to switch the pump to heat domestic water only. last year i went into operation mode but not sure to leave additional heat /heating on or off. I'd be grateful if someone could get back to me thanks,

Right Villa This is the way I did it. not saying its correct but its the way i have done it.

Gone into Op Mode
    -> Manual
    turn off Addition and heating

• Advertisement

At Long last I have finished my 14 months of taking my HP meter reading twice daily to build up this comperhensive running cost for my HP. There was times that I asked my self "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS" But I stuck with it and now am VERY satisfied that i did Stick with it.
    Here is my results (Short version)
    Billing period Billing amount What was used HP cost for this bill
    30 Mar 12 to 6 Jun 12 (69 days) € 208.27 Heating, Hot water, dehumidifers, power tools + normal house usage € 33.30
    7 Jun 12 to 1 Aug 12 (56 days) € 126.45 Hot water only + normal house usage € 16.98
    2 Aug 12 to 28 Sep 12 (58 days) € 130.45 Hot water only + normal house usage € 21.60
    29 Sep 12 to 27 Nov (60 days) € 200.86 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 76.62
    28 Nov 12 to 30 Jan 13 (64 days) € 245.55 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 106.81
    31 Jan 13 to 3 Apr (63 days) € 234.09 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 101.49
    4 Apr 13 to 29 May 13 56 days € 146.15 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 44.10
    Total € 1,083.55 € 367.61

If you want the more comperhensive details go to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amy6xlLdiDpQdENDa0ZTdkM3S3hfc3BHeURYQ1ZWZkE#gid=2

I hope that this data will be of help some people that are unsure about weather or not in install a HP or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

At Long last I have finished my 14 months of taking my HP meter reading twice daily to build up this comperhensive running cost for my HP. There was times that I asked my self "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS" But I stuck with it and now am VERY satisfied that i did Stick with it.
    Here is my results (Short version)
    Billing period Billing amount What was used HP cost for this bill
    30 Mar 12 to 6 Jun 12 (69 days) € 208.27 Heating, Hot water, dehumidifers, power tools + normal house usage € 33.30
    7 Jun 12 to 1 Aug 12 (56 days) € 126.45 Hot water only + normal house usage € 16.98
    2 Aug 12 to 28 Sep 12 (58 days) € 130.45 Hot water only + normal house usage € 21.60
    29 Sep 12 to 27 Nov (60 days) € 200.86 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 76.62
    28 Nov 12 to 30 Jan 13 (64 days) € 245.55 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 106.81
    31 Jan 13 to 3 Apr (63 days) € 234.09 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 101.49
    4 Apr 13 to 29 May 13 56 days € 146.15 Heating, Hot water + normal house usage € 44.10
    Total € 1,083.55 € 367.61

If you want the more comperhensive details go to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amy6xlLdiDpQdENDa0ZTdkM3S3hfc3BHeURYQ1ZWZkE#gid=2

I hope that this data will be of help some people that are unsure about weather or not in install a HP or not.

wathching this forum and others for a while. It was reassuring to see the results. I am aiming for an A3/B1 house and installing a Nibe 1145 HP 6KW in the next week or so (UFH everywhere going down tomorrow). i hope my bills will be like yours this time next year:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭KCross

villa fan wrote: »
    Hello all,

villa, you dont really need to turn it off at all as it is an automated system that will turn itself off once the average outside temperature hits a certain level.

On mine(which has default settings I think) once the avg outdoor temperature over a 24hr period hits 15C the heating side of it turns off. Hot water is still active of course.

Under HeatPump-->advanced-->auto mode settings
    There are 3 settings in there....
    stop heating, stop additional heat, filter time
    My settings for those 3 are
    You can check the average outdoor temperature recorded by your Nibe under
    info-->service info-->avg. outdoor temperature
    I suppose disabling it completely has some merit and you can top up the heat in the house if you happen to get a few cold days using a fire or something. I just leave mine on. It rarely, if ever, comes on over the summer months.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 25 citywide

nealger wrote: »
    wathching this forum and others for a while. It was reassuring to see the results. I am aiming for an A3/B1 house and installing a Nibe 1145 HP 6KW in the next week or so (UFH everywhere going down tomorrow). i hope my bills will be like yours this time next year:o.

Hi did you install the hp is it air to water ? How are you finding it ? Any problems? Is there any thing you would different if you were doing it again

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

citywide wrote: »
    Hi did you install the hp is it air to water ? How are you finding it ? Any problems? Is there any thing you would different if you were doing it again

Thanks
    Just turned on the heat pump today for the first time. its set to drying out floors mode for th enext five days.
    The only problems i had was nothing to d nwith the system but the ESB ...... waiting 8-9 weeks for power! At last i will be soon cracking on with the 2nd fix carpentery and tiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 pgkilro

Hi all,

I just had a Nibe 1245 ground source heat pump installed. Moved in two weeks ago. We also have thermostats on each room wall in the house. We find the house very hot but our radiators upstairs are cold. Some of the room temperatures are up around 24 / 25 degrees. I've tried using the wall thermstats to reduce the temperature but they don't seem to work. So I guess I need to change the temperature on the Nibe 1245 itself. Can anyone provide me with a dummies guide on how to set the temperature to 20 degrees and also make sure it is running efficently. Just downloaded the Nibe User Guide and it reads like double dutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

Hi there I'm having a similar issue. 3200sq/ft house with underfloor everywhere. Moved in a month ago. Heat pump not commissioned yet so they are coming back to me but I can't regulate it at all. There seems to be an issue at the heat pump from what I can see. I have a thermometer in house to gauge if what the heat pump read is accurate. Heat pump says 31 degrees! Thermometer says 25 most of time. I've tried the schedules suggested on here etc but to no avail. It seems to have a mind of its own coming on regulRly during the day when it's clearly roasting inside. I've set the temp to -6 on curve 1 and no improvement. Lowered thermostats around house and no improvement. I know I'll get it sorted in 2 weeks when they call out but at the moment there seems to be an issue with the temp the heat pump is reading and also how it is behaving in relation to the heat curve. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

pgkilro wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just had a Nibe 1245 ground source heat pump installed. Moved in two weeks ago. We also have thermostats on each room wall in the house. We find the house very hot but our radiators upstairs are cold. Some of the room temperatures are up around 24 / 25 degrees. I've tried using the wall thermstats to reduce the temperature but they don't seem to work. So I guess I need to change the temperature on the Nibe 1245 itself. Can anyone provide me with a dummies guide on how to set the temperature to 20 degrees and also make sure it is running efficently. Just downloaded the Nibe User Guide and it reads like double dutch!
    Hi there I'm having a similar issue. 3200sq/ft house with underfloor everywhere. Moved in a month ago. Heat pump not commissioned yet so they are coming back to me but I can't regulate it at all. There seems to be an issue at the heat pump from what I can see. I have a thermometer in house to gauge if what the heat pump read is accurate. Heat pump says 31 degrees! Thermometer says 25 most of time. I've tried the schedules suggested on here etc but to no avail. It seems to have a mind of its own coming on regulRly during the day when it's clearly roasting inside. I've set the temp to -6 on curve 1 and no improvement. Lowered thermostats around house and no improvement. I know I'll get it sorted in 2 weeks when they call out but at the moment there seems to be an issue with the temp the heat pump is reading and also how it is behaving in relation to the heat curve. Any ideas?

I would get the install back to comission the system properly - the HP will take 3 to 5 days to "settle" at the right temp -these systems are not supposed to react quickly - and tuning them can take a month becuase of this slow movement. I have been in 1 year and still tuning.

liamolaighin

The schedule isn't what you should be looking at for now, that is only a means to offset the heating.

Go to Indoor Climate-Advanced-Heating Curve, what is the figure in the circle at the end of the line? that should be between 3-6 (average for an irish house depending on house type? default figure is 9 and that is too high. Reduce that figure to 4 (for now)

Go to Info-Service Info and take a reading of the calculated flow temp? This is calculated on your heating curve vs out outdoor temperature

I'm going to try this as well Soundskin.....I'll see if it works for me......

I'm going to try this as well Soundskin.....I'll see if it works for me......

liamolaighin and pgkilro
    Any chance that since it is a new system that the installer still has the system in floor drying mode?... in which case there is no point in you tuning it... it will do its own thing until the floor drying program is finished.

You can check that via the Info menu. There should be an entry called something like "floor drying function" and if it is set to "yes" it would explain your problem.

No the floor drying function is off. The issue seems to relate to the indoor temp measurement. The pump is saying its 31 degrees in the house when left on constantly. My thermometer says 25 to 26. Both obviously too high.

The thing is its on heat curve 1. And it's set to temperature 1. That's really low. I've fiddled with schedules, thermostats etc but to no real avail. I'd like to get house to 20 degrees, a nice even temp throughout. I tried changing the temp to -4 but it still stayed roasting over a few days. Anyway installer calling Wednesday so may have an answer then

No the floor drying function is off. The issue seems to relate to the indoor temp measurement. The pump is saying its 31 degrees in the house when left on constantly. My thermometer says 25 to 26. Both obviously too high.

The thing is its on heat curve 1. And it's set to temperature 1. That's really low. I've fiddled with schedules, thermostats etc but to no real avail. I'd like to get house to 20 degrees, a nice even temp throughout. I tried changing the temp to -4 but it still stayed roasting over a few days. Anyway installer calling Wednesday so may have an answer then

liamolaighin
    Usually, depending on how the installer has set up the system, it will not matter what the indoor temperature stat says. That does not dictate when the heat pump comes on/off. That is just to let you know what temp the house is at.
    The "normal" configuration is that the heat pump monitors the temp in the underfloor and that is what drives the on/off of the HP, so it might be an issue with that stat or the feeds to the underfloor.
    If the house is too hot in the meantime, which it definitely is at 25, I'd suggest you turn off the HP as it sounds like you could get a stinker of an ESB bill otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MikeKaiserBud

I have a Fighter 1240 system, the fore runner of the 1245 which has a much better user interface. The 1240 threads are years old and I hope some of the 1245 community might have some knowledge of the 1240 settings.

My problem is that the circulation pump runs non-stop and I think I can change it in menu 9 to intermittent if I can get into the service menu settings – anybody know how to get to the service menu? Also, is it possible to programme the water heating function for restricted hours? At the moment, it is on all the time too. I have asked the installer but he is not very knowledgeable, he left every setting exactly as it is in the manual.

Thanks for all info published already, especially the detailed data logged over days weeks and months.

MikeKaiserBud,

The heating circulation pump has to be left on (during heating season) to take the temperature of the floors, this will determine if your heat pump compressor will come on or not.

The Brine pump should be on intermittent, that's it default setting. It's a much larger pump and costly to run. The brine pump will only run with the compressor.

In regards to the hot water, roughly 90% of your heat pump running hours is for heating so only 10% for hot water. Restricting your hot water won't save you much but adjusting your heating and the temp set backs for night rate (if you have it) will save you a lot.

If you have a lot of running hours for Hot Water then you may have an issue with a 3 port valve.

I'll PM a few links that will help.

• Advertisement

Well, things seem to be going from bad to worse with my heat pump. Getting alerts all weekend with flashing red light. Text the plumber who said I just need to top up the plastic bottle and make sure it is half full. I've done that on 5 different occasions since Friday and after about 5-6 hours the alert goes off again. Plumber thinks there may be a leak, hence very little pressure. Water temp drops from 53c to 43c and goes up again when I fill the water....which takes about 16 bottles and is in an awkward position.......I hope the ESB bills are worth the hassle!! Plumber coming down sometime this week to take a look....the heat in the house has levelled off at about 20-22c which is much better than 25-26.

About 1240 operation:

Thanks Soundskin for your post. I now understand the reason for the small pump going all the time. I have night rate electricity so I will work on the temperature set back aspect.

I don't think there's a hot water problem, but I was hoping there would be a sort of timer for cutting off the water heating like there seems to be on the 1245. I'm away from the house for a few weeks at a time during the winter these days and my hope was to keep the house at a temp of about 15 degrees or so through the winter without having the hot water on all the time. Anyway, I can set the water temp down a bit also.

Thanks very much.

Soundskin,

About the 1240, I left it too late over the weekend to do the compressor total hours check you recommended - I'll do it first the next chance I get.

I found a figure of 293 hours for the total water heating time. The system is in place about three years so that works out as 100 hours per year, and with the house occupied one week in six or so, it comes out as 1.5 hours per day when in use. Sounds not too bad to me, but your opinion would be welcome.

The cost to maintain the house at 13 - 15 degrees (with hot water on) worked out at just under €3 per day over the past three weeks. House area about 275 sq.m. I have a note from last Feb where I calculated €5 per day.

I'll get back with the total compressor hours in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your help.

MKB

I've noticed my heat pump seems to use loads more hours heating water when the heating is also on. It doesn't make any sence but getting commissioned Friday so hopefully it'll be sorted out then

So its been a while since I posted but we just recieved our ESB bill from 28th nov 13 to 28th Jan 14 anf it came in at €603.00. Now its the first non estimated bill. First two were for 97.00 and 189.00. So over 6 months our electricity bill works out at about €148.00 per month? Anyone know if this is the norm with the ground to water Nibe 1245? or if we are doing something wrong? I was told to leave the 1245 runing all the time as it would be more efficiant than turning it on and off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If there is anyone in the Wicklow / Wexford area that has experience with the Nibe 1245 then I would really appreciate any training that could be provided!!

So its been a while since I posted but we just recieved our ESB bill from 28th nov 13 to 28th Jan 14 anf it came in at €603.00. Now its the first non estimated bill. First two were for 97.00 and 189.00. So over 6 months our electricity bill works out at about €148.00 per month? Anyone know if this is the norm with the ground to water Nibe 1245? or if we are doing something wrong? I was told to leave the 1245 runing all the time as it would be more efficiant than turning it on and off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If there is anyone in the Wicklow / Wexford area that has experience with the Nibe 1245 then I would really appreciate any training that could be provided!!

Thats probably a little high but depends how much ESB is actually used on heat pump. Playing around with controls, turning down unused rooms a bit, changing schedule etc might lower heat pump associated costs a little but overall its not that bad really is it.

Thats probably a little high but depends how much ESB is actually used on heat pump. Playing around with controls, turning down unused rooms a bit, changing schedule etc might lower heat pump associated costs a little but overall its not that bad really is it.

By the way my costs per month are approx 130 in November and same in December in the coldest months. Thats for all my esb, heating and hot water

I've turned off the heating in most of the downstair rooms using the thermostats on the wall. I'd like to be able to schedule the heating to come on at say 4pm and 5am. At the moment its on all day. I guess I would like to do the same with the hot water. At the moment we have hot water all day.

I suppose 148.00 per month is not too bad for esb, heating and hot water, but it could be alot better. I'm not even sure what to do now that we move into Spring and Summer. There is supposed to be a thermostat on the out side wall and I would hope that will regulate the heating internally.

Liamolaighin, do you have a Nibe 1245? My heating curve is currently set at -1. I guess I will go down to -2 and then -3 as the days get warmer.

I've turned off the heating in most of the downstair rooms using the thermostats on the wall. I'd like to be able to schedule the heating to come on at say 4pm and 5am. At the moment its on all day. I guess I would like to do the same with the hot water. At the moment we have hot water all day.

I suppose 148.00 per month is not too bad for esb, heating and hot water, but it could be alot better. I'm not even sure what to do now that we move into Spring and Summer. There is supposed to be a thermostat on the out side wall and I would hope that will regulate the heating internally.

Liamolaighin, do you have a Nibe 1245? My heating curve is currently set at -1. I guess I will go down to -2 and then -3 as the days get warmer.
    Ive several schedules set up. Its on heating curve 1 and +3 at the since december. Only moved in in november. Most of downstairs is on open circuit and anywhere i have thermostats i have set to aporox 20 degrees. Ill eventually turn down to 0 on curve 1 as days get warmer and eventually disable space heating in may. Happy enough with bills so far and im sure a little tweaking will improve things in time as well as curtains on all windows! Ya its the nibe 1245 with seperate 300l hot water cylinder. 600 m of horizontal ground loop. 3250 square ft 2 storey house. Well insulated and airtightness pretty good. Also have MHRV.

• Advertisement

Ive several schedules set up. Its on heating curve 1 and +3 at the since december. Only moved in in november. Most of downstairs is on open circuit and anywhere i have thermostats i have set to aporox 20 degrees. Ill eventually turn down to 0 on curve 1 as days get warmer and eventually disable space heating in may. Happy enough with bills so far and im sure a little tweaking will improve things in time as well as curtains on all windows! Ya its the nibe 1245 with seperate 300l hot water cylinder. 600 m of horizontal ground loop. 3250 square ft 2 storey house. Well insulated and airtightness pretty good. Also have MHRV.
    Ps on the schedules its on -1 during day, 0 between 6 and midnight approx and i think +3 from 2pm to 6pm. Since ive encouraged pump to work more at night im happier its hardly ever on during day. Minor savings but everything counts

Advertisement