Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy Soldiers is on PC

Options
  • 02-05-2012 2:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted that the original Toy Soldiers + all the DLC is now available on PC via Steam for the bargain price of €6.74! A must buy - great little game that's a brilliant mix of tower defence and RTS.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for the recommendation - spotted it on steam and huming/hawing if it was worth playing till the Civ5 new expansion pack comes out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

got it on monday,very cool game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Got it a few days ago, great time sink. I do tend to get bored after half an hour or so but seem to want to play again a few hours later!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well I can see now how wrong I was to be enthusiastic about this :)

Tried to get it going last night - first thing - Games for Windows Live. Had I spotted this in the fine print, I would probably not have bothered on that alone. You start to install the game and Games for Windows live has to start updating. On top of all that, it tells you you have to quit the game to allow it to finish updating. I had to get to Task Manager to get the game to quit. First major question - Microsoft, you have been in the home computers game for 30 years and you still can't get basic stuff like this right? What the almighty frak lads? I had Games for Windows installed already, why wasn't it being updated as part of my Windows Update service?

Anyway, restarted the game and it spent another 5 mins downloading my profile (just like on the XBox, the connections to this service are appallingly slow) and finally got into the game itself. Default screen resolution was throwing my second monitor out of whack - no problem I thought, this happens all the time, we just change the res to 1080p and it goes away. No 1080 option in the resolution settings. 1680 X 1050 is the highest available. So I have to play in windowed mode. There are no words for how frustrating I found this.

After all that and seeing that DeVore had even more stress than me (somehow he had to make a new Live account because the whole thing calfed so badly on him) we were talking and looking for where the multi-player was. After 5 minutes I dived on to the Signal Studios forums and saw them saying it didn't have multi-player.

Now, at €6.50 this purchase hasn't exactly broken the bank, but I can honestly say I felt robbed by the whole thing. This is a very sub-standard port of an old game. The single player is still a lot of fun - make no mistake, I'm going to enjoy going through the campaign and DLC (which I never got on the XBox), but for a game that's 2 years old, it's still a rushed port and that's not cool. I see too that it's been rolled out for Windows 8, so at least we can see the reason for it. A real opportunity lost I feel - I could forgive everything else if the multi-player was included.

Advertisement