Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Wetsuit

• 02-05-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a particular wetsuit brand or good place to get a wetsuit.

I'll be using it for kayaking, mainly summer time but hopefully in the winter too.

I know LIDL/ALDI do them from time to time but I've been told they are poor quality and don't have enough flexibility - anyone agree/disagree?

It's my first suit so don't want to spend a fortune but at the same time willing to spend a few quid more to get a reasonable one that will last. Was thinking a long john?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I'd suggest a 3mm steamer wetsuit, and get a good semi-dry cag over it, especially for winter paddling. Lidl/Aldi wetsuits are pretty decent in my experience, but in terms of fit/less zips/less bulk go for an outdoor shop wetsuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would recommend a dry cag rather than a wetsuit with a semi dry cag over it. The cheapest decent wetsuit you'll get will cost you about €180 and for a little bit more you could get a dry cag like the Kokatat Helix and a pair of neoprene pants for your legs. A few pennies fleeces under the cag and you'll be grand.

I find paddling in wetsuits to be horribly uncomfortable and if you get more into kayaking you will soon want to ditch the wetsuit in favour of a dry cag.

But if you're set on getting one I have the O'Neill Epic 5/3 mm wetsuit, id recommend it, I have used it in the sea in winter and summer and it kept me nice and warm, they can usually be bought for €200 or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

If you're worried about flexibility, stay away from steamers and go for a Long John. No arm, and the shoulders are unimpeded.
    Apparently this crowd is Irish: http://marasurf.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

MadYaker wrote: »
    But if you're set on getting one I have the O'Neill Epic 5/3 mm wetsuit, id recommend it, I have used it in the sea in winter and summer and it kept me nice and warm, they can usually be bought for €200 or less.

yeah the epic 5/3 is a good suit, They can be got for less than €200 though. For example Sunset in Sligo does them for €140 inc free delivery
    http://www.sunset.ie/p/oneill_epic_ii_53_ct_wetsuit

I think a 5/3 can too warm for kayaking in the summer though. Was out on a sit on top at the weekend wearing just a shorty and it was more than warm enough....even jumped in a few times to cool off! I suppose the weather is not always as good as last week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I only use it for surfing but it keeps warm in the winter and summer. Id say it could a bit warm for kayaking in the summer alright. That sleeveless wetsuit recommended above looks pretty good. I didn't know such a thing existed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement