Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethical Downloading?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Blank VHS was going to kill the industries

Blank Cassettes were going to kill the industries

Blank CDs were going to kill the industries

Blank DVDs were going to kill the industries

CD / DVD Burners were going to kill the industries.

Blank MiniDiscs were going to kill the industries.

Downloading was going to kill the industries.

Old business models and refusal to adapt will kill the industries............well, hamper them a bit, at least.

How do you adapt and make any money if everyone downloaded your work for free?

Through all of those there is still a certain percentage that will buy the content, but if everyone decided to download, how do they make money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If you pay a mechanic €100 to fix your car and he uses no new parts, is he making €100 profit?

No, he is making 100 euro less the cost of replacing those parts, or less the cost that he could have sold the parts on for... or less... I'm sure you get the idea.

The case of downloading music is totally different since there is no physical object (car part) being exchanged. You are not paying for advice or for a service, you are not using the music for any personal gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The case of downloading music is totally different since there is no physical object (car part) being exchanged. You are not paying for advice or for a service, you are not using the music for any personal gain.

Why does it have to be a physical thing to be worth something?

If your job depends on your knowledge and I find a way to scan your memory and take that knowledge, thus making your job redundant, is that ok? You still have the knowledge, it's just worthless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Last albums I bought have been Olly Murs, Greyson Chance, Jason De Rulo One Direction and Ed Sheeran. New Bieber and Chris Brown albums out soon and not a hope I'll buy them. Bieber's rich beyond his wildest dreams and Chris Brown, this is his fourth album in 6 years

Are you a soccer mom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Blank VHS was going to kill the industries

Blank Cassettes were going to kill the industries

Blank CDs were going to kill the industries

Blank DVDs were going to kill the industries

CD / DVD Burners were going to kill the industries.

Blank MiniDiscs were going to kill the industries.

Downloading was going to kill the industries.

Old business models and refusal to adapt will kill the industries............well, hamper them a bit, at least.

Video killed the radio star:(

If your job depends on your knowledge and I find a way to scan your memory and take that knowledge, thus making your job redundant, is that ok? You still have the knowledge, it's just worthless now.

How would you scanning my memory make my job redundant?
    Now if you use it and pass it off as your own that would be different. If I decide to Burn CD's and sell them at 50p each that would and should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Is that in terms of % or actual cash?
    Usually the book on kindle must be 20% less than the minimum selling price to get a decent return from kindle. (Going by what Amazon say).
    This led me to believe that they will give you 50% of a fiver instead of 30% of a tenner.

In my experience, actual cash. You'd get about a euro per book sold, 2 euro per unit sold on the Kindle deal.

I'm sorely tempted to just go with Kindle for my own book as I get all kinds of benefits like being in charge of the final edit etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How do you adapt and make any money if everyone downloaded your work for free?

Through all of those there is still a certain percentage that will buy the content, but if everyone decided to download, how do they make money?

I think he's referring to companies using the internet making the content more readily available via services like Netflix, Lovefilm, etc. to make it easier for people to buy. On the downside, many shops will suffer because of this.

I feel no guilt whatsoever about downloading content for free. The music industry is littered with generic clones, videogames with rip-off day 1 DLC and don't even start me on the cinema. The only films I'd be interested in watching are foreign ones on Netflix. I got a good few games on a sale on the PSN a while back and they'll keep me for ages. I haven't listened to an album in years.

I've no problem paying for it legally if it's cheap enough and simple enough (like the PSN) but it's really hard to support all these industries with them pulling crap like SOPA on us. I wonder if they've ever considered the fact that the cinema line up has been woeful for quite a long time while everyone in the charts sounds the same (IMO). Gaming is one of the few areas where I see innovation but it's starting to go the same way.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Paying vodafone 49 quid a month for 300gb I dont see why I shouldnt download my moneys worth.:D

Ive spent thousands over the years on dvds,software and games for the kids to the corporations.

Fcuk em,its payback time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I download films, software, games etc that I would never buy, but want to watch/try.

I will go see The Avengers this weekend and will buy Max Payne 3 if it's any good.

I won't pay to see Battleship, because it's suppose to be average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I got burned on a game I really wanted recently only for a lot of the thing to come out on DLC. I think I'll just buy things second hand from now on.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

get_out_of_my_head_charles.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I only really download that which I would not purchase if the option to download them free was not available. Net loss to anyone, anywhere - zero.
    So meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

I would rather watch movies and tv series online than download... I find that most stuff is not worth the disk space on my laptop and if i really like a movie or series I'll buy the dvd... I only download books and sometimes music...

I would rather watch movies and tv series online than download... I find that most stuff is not worth the disk space on my laptop and if i really like a movie or series I'll buy the dvd... I only download books and sometimes music...

The quality of streams can be poor. Or if their on 4od they are plagued with ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

The quality of streams can be poor. Or if their on 4od they are plagued with ads

Most stuff I watch on ''streaming websites'' is very good quality. I downloaded Thor for instance and it was very bad quality, tried watching it online and it was much much better. Of course if you try watching movies online that are still showing on cinemas the quality is gonna be bad as they were taped in the cinemas!!!:D

I tried watching ''the lucky one'' today, still in the cinemas, very bad movie, very bad quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't download movies mostly because I just never watch movies but I can see why somebody would choose to download rather than buy, you pay an inflated price to have to watch a bunch of ads, including the "YOU WOULDNT STEAL A BABY" ones which are the worst. And if you download you just get the movie and instantly get to watch it.

I use adblocker pro, that's just as immoral if you ask me, I don't feel bad. This gives me a better user experience, same thing with downloading music, I can get a whole FLAC high quality discography or each album in 256kbps, it would be ridiculous to pay more for a lesser product.

If I can have your money; you can't have your money.
    :mad::mad: Hate that. I've already bought the ****ing DVD, why are you now telling me not to steal it?
    Can't even skip past them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone who says they don't download stuff just don't know how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I don't download music, because I make music. Most of the music I buy is on small labels and made by relatively small artists, so i don't want to jerk them off by stealing there stuff. Especially as there is a good chance of meeting these people so i'd feel like a tool telling them how much i liked there latest release when i didn't even like it enough to pay for it.

TV shows and movies i have no problem downloading though.

As a musician, I'm starting to feel guilty about downloading music. I do buy CD's the odd time but probably bought the most recent in the first half of last year.

Do you download music software out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I download tv shows without any ethical dilemmas whatsoever and the movies I download I generally have owned in the past on another format (dvd to blu-ray, no I am not buying LOTR again) or would never have paid to see them anyway - if there's something I'm really looking forward to I go to the cinema to see it. Books I always pay for, even now that I have a kindle and could pirate to my heart's content. Recent example being The Hunger Games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

http://www.ted.com/talks/rob_reid_the_8_billion_ipod.html

Great video.

I don't understand why people download their OS, or Microsoft Office.

Downloading music that you'd never ever buy is one thing, but software which you actually need for work or study is another thing altogether, if you need it, you should pay for it.

Also, it stop a load of hastle when trying to get updates or when an activation key is blocked or whatever. €120 for Windows 7, which I use for hours every single day is a bargain.

I don't understand why people download their OS, or Microsoft Office.

Downloading music that you'd never ever buy is one thing, but software which you actually need for work or study is another thing altogether, if you need it, you should pay for it.

Also, it stop a load of hastle when trying to get updates or when an activation key is blocked or whatever. €120 for Windows 7, which I use for hours every single day is a bargain.

The price! Windows 7 is not 120 euro better than Linux! plus I need my 120 euro a hell of a lot more than microsoft :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

If it's not €120 better in your view, why don't you use Linux full time and disregard all MS software?

If you are using Windows, or Office for work, then you should pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If it's not €120 better in your view, why don't you use Linux full time and disregard all MS software?

If you are using Windows, or Office for work, then you should pay for it.

Because Windows monopolised the market to the point where alot of software isn't an option on other platforms even though I prefer the overall feel of Linux . I haven't used Office in many years and choose Open Office which is free, it isn't very different either.

My copy is legitimate also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm on ten GB a month hillbilly internet

I can barely download my email :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I hate the anti-piracy ads that you have to sit through when you're not pirating a movie.

''...You wouldn't steal a car...''

I wouldn't, but I'd download one if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

davpigboy wrote: »
    Downloading is having a strong enough effective look at my name is earl being cancelled even though it's much better than any of the Simpson ****e being produced don't think it will stop me downloading though

For TV shows specifically I don't see why a network doesn't release a free official torrent of the show in various popular formats with 3/4 ads at certain intervals specifically tailored to whatever geographical region it's downloaded from. Negligible resources needed to this and they'd get accurate viewing figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Conor108 wrote: »
    For TV shows specifically I don't see why a network doesn't release a free official torrent of the show in various popular formats with 3/4 ads at certain intervals specifically tailored to whatever geographical region it's downloaded from. Negligible resources needed to this and they'd get accurate viewing figures.

Greed. But at least the Movie/TV industry is not as bad as the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

flyswatter wrote: »
    As a musician, I'm starting to feel guilty about downloading music. I do buy CD's the odd time but probably bought the most recent in the first half of last year.

Do you download music software out of interest?

Nope, everything i use to make my music is a legit and legal copy, from the DAW to the VST's.

If someone is making something i like to use, I have no problem paying for it as that cash is going to develop the next stage of the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I pay for my movies in the cinema, I pay for my music at gigs and concerts.

Anything I download is a chance for an artist to convince me to hand over some money at the box office/ticket vendor.

I refuse to pay to watch sports when NewsCorp are involved so I stream the sports, but I pay my way at the gates to get into live games.

I use Linux full time and use all open source software, I actually donate a small amount to some of the open sourced organizations.

The things that are downloaded are like everything else if there is a demand there will be a supply and in turn a way to make money off that supply. What these industry fear is that they won't be able to make enough money.... but whats enough money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Download what I want. Pay for it if its worth paying for. The only exception is Microsoft software. IMO Microsoft Office is worth about £10 but I won't give them that because I need my tenner much more than they do! :D

What annoys me about Office is the new 'ribbon' toolbar layout. It's a pain to use. I paid for office more than once so they're not getting any more money out of me for making the software worse and trying to force everyone to upgrade by changing the format.

There's nothing that program can do that it didn't do 15 years ago.

Also, what is with this 11pt Calibri muck? 12pt Times New Roman.

kowloon wrote: »
    What annoys me about Office is the new 'ribbon' toolbar layout. It's a pain to use. I paid for office more than once so they're not getting any more money out of me for making the software worse and trying to force everyone to upgrade by changing the format.

There's nothing that program can do that it didn't do 15 years ago.

Also, what is with this 11pt Calibri muck? 12pt Times New Roman.

There's a way to remove ribbon. Google it, I'm too lazy to.
    A good range of fonts is important but the standard font should be Arial or Times New Roman IMO.
    My Computers lecturer thought I was a retard because I couldn't remember how to insert a header/footer. I explained that I had been using Open Office lately... God status restored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If your job depends on your knowledge and I find a way to scan your memory and take that knowledge, thus making your job redundant, is that ok?
    Yes of course it is. We live in a market economy, nobody has a right to make money for nothing. Technology changes markets all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Downloading isn't killing music nor making artists poor.
    Downloading opens your eyes to new artists and makes you go see them in concert. Artists makes their money from concerts.
    It's the big music companies that lose out when you download, not the artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Terrontress

biko wrote: »
    Downloading isn't killing music nor making artists poor.
    Downloading opens your eyes to new artists and makes you go see them in concert. Artists makes their money from concerts.
    It's the big music companies that lose out when you download, not the artists.

Yeah, but the big music companies employed a lot of guys working hard and getting paid a normal salary.
    Dire Straits selling 100m albums, making €3 off each one and living in castles or Michael Jackson's Neverland funpark are both examples of the music industry taking the piss but I think that the destruction of the recorded music industry has hit a lot more than that.
    I believe though that it was the music industry who insisted on the funparks, castles and cocaine ruined it for the next generation of artistes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I download tv shows and movies but would have no problem paying a reasonable subscription service such as netflix. However the lack of content on netflix had me cancel my subscription and i'm back to downloading. These companies are shooting themselves in the foot

I download tv shows and movies but would have no problem paying a reasonable subscription service such as netflix. However the lack of content on netflix had me cancel my subscription and i'm back to downloading. These companies are shooting themselves in the foot

No selection and the quality wasn't as good as downloading from what I've heard.
    4od on the xbox is good but the compulsory adverts make it impossible for watching whole series

Advertisement