Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield apartments cabled up?

• 02-05-2012 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I've just moved into a room in an apartment in smithfield and it appears that each of the rooms have Ethernet ports. anyone know what these are for and can then be used some how?

i tried connecting the port in the living room to the router and then the one in my room to the computer but it didn't recognize this as a valid network on the computer.

i've ended up connecting to the router via wifi but with 3 walls between my room and the router it doesn't have a great signal and i'm a gamer!

also can anyone explain why UPC can't wire up the building? i've read lots of different things about exlusive contracts but this was all from 4 years ago cause the smart telecom connection we have is just terrible. i was downloading podcasts from itunes yesterday and it crippled the internet connection for everyone else. same when i was watching netflixs.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

turns out that it is smart telecoms smart vision service. it's supposed to be fibre to the premises but it is limited to 4mb and it looks like they've not touched it in years..

it makes no sense if this have fibre into the building and they limit it to that?! i'd have no problem paying €50 a month for 50 meg if i could get it but seems i'm stuck with 24meg adsl and a wireless modem from 3 rooms away. there's goes any chance of online gaming for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

See that's what happens when a property developer excludes competition from an entire complex!

4mbit/s is an absolute joke, even for DSL that would be slow!

This kind of stuff is going to just make properties less salable / rentable as it's a bit like not having electricity in this day and age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There would be a patch cabinet somewhere in the building. Ask the complex janitor where it is and can you have access.

Assuming you want two wall ports to work, wire a "crossover" cable into each corresponding end in the basement. This will link the cables and make each point live in relation to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

turns out it's worse than i thought. the max connection speed in smithfield is 4mb and they're charging us €35 a month for this! their lowest bundle is at €30 a month for up to 24. but they say they can't move us down to this tariff as smithfield is a special case which of course nothing on their websites says anything about.

i'm going to ring eircom later and see if they can give me the same **** connection for a cheaper price. i did get the usual 'there are upgrades planned but we couldn't say when they'd be done' ****e off the guy on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should point out to your landlord that this actually devalues the apartment.

I can assure you if enough owner-occupiers and landlords think that they need to let UPC in and get proper phone lines in, the management company will be told where to go.

The facts are quite simple, if you are in any city centre area in Ireland, you should be able to avail of 100mbit/s broadband (if you want it).

If you're not, the apartment complex has been hobbled and thus, people renting will possibly rent elsewhere and potential buyers might give the place a second thought.

It's a bit like having electricity, but only in some of the rooms or showers that only produce tepid water!

You should write up a mail shot and put it into everyone's letter box asking them to contact the management company if they're an owner-occupier or contact their landlord if they're a tenant and explain that this needs to be sorted to ensure the complex is marketable!

That or call a meeting in one of the near by pubs for all interested residents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement