Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Gyms

Options
  • 02-05-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

Im trying to get my own home gym started focusing on strength and power lifting. Has anyone any recommendations on what I should be looking to get Im thinking I will need a power rack, Olympic bar and plates and bench at least.

Also has anyone any recommendations on where is the best and most reasonable places to purchase these items. At the moment I am looking at Irish-lifting.com. Has anyone any experience with these.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Some bad recent experiences based on a change of management. I called in to Paul Roberts place in Wexford the week before last.

http://www.profitness-supplies.com/

He's a nice bloke and I'd recommend giving him a call. He'd recommend you a good starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I've just ordered a cage from power house fitness, I got sick of waiting on Irish-lifting. I can only believe "the delivery is coming in tomorrow" so many times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

I've just ordered a cage from power house fitness, I got sick of waiting on Irish-lifting. I can only believe "the delivery is coming in tomorrow" so many times

I ordered from them last year. Was pretty happy with the service. They didn't include two of the 25kg plates from the 235kg olympic weightset but gave me the option of 50kg of alternative sized plates or else waiting until the two 25kg plates came back in stock (they sent the rest of the stuff straight away).

What rack did you order?

marathonic wrote: »

I ordered from them last year. Was pretty happy with the service. They didn't include two of the 25kg plates from the 235kg olympic weightset but gave me the option of 50kg of alternative sized plates or else waiting until the two 25kg plates came back in stock (they sent the rest of the stuff straight away).

What rack did you order?

Yeah, I got their name from one of your other posts a few days ago.
    I ordered the bodymax cf475 with the lat attachment that you can put plates on to.

Cant wait, I built a gym out back and nearly finished kitting it out. I even picked up a white board the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

I am in the process of putting together my home gym also, after doing a lot of looking around I'm gonna go with Rogue Fitness. They opened up a distribution warehouse in Europe and are selling most of the the items advertised on the US site. It is supposed to be very good stuff and shipping isn't the wors, you can request a price list from their Facebook page.

Cheers
    Col

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Yeah, I got their name from one of your other posts a few days ago.
    I ordered the bodymax cf475 with the lat attachment that you can put plates on to.

Cant wait, I built a gym out back and nearly finished kitting it out. I even picked up a white board the other day.

pics pics pics or gtfo, go on pics

GASMANN wrote: »

Here's a pic today

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Deadly setup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Here's a pic today

I jealous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I am in the process of putting together my home gym also, after doing a lot of looking around I'm gonna go with Rogue Fitness. They opened up a distribution warehouse in Europe and are selling most of the the items advertised on the US site. It is supposed to be very good stuff and shipping isn't the wors, you can request a price list from their Facebook page.

Cheers
    Col

The Rogue stuff is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive compared to comparable quality stuff from elsewhere. But it does look super pimp and oyu'll have it forever!!
    Here's a pic today

Where'd the whiteboad come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

GASMANN wrote: »

Here's a pic today

Oh! Me want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Here's a pic today

I have pretty much the same equipment minus the adjustable dums, great rack, had it over a year now, not one issue, very happy with it, same with the bench.
    I got the coloured rubber plates off Mick when he had irish lifting. I don't know about the cable attachment though I don't get much use out of mine.

I still head down to the gym for back day though. I wouldn't bother if I had those adjustable dums ^ ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

Here's a pic today

Nice whiteboard

Hanley wrote: »
    Where'd the whiteboad come from?

I was in a liquidators in Tallaght and they were two for one. I've the other one up on the wall to the right. Handy for keeping best times/ lifts etc and getting a bit of competition going between the mates.
    I have pretty much the same equipment minus the adjustable dums, great rack, had it over a year now, not one issue, very happy with it, same with the bench.
    I got the coloured rubber plates off Mick when he had irish lifting. I don't know about the cable attachment though I don't get much use out of mine.

I still head down to the gym for back day though. I wouldn't bother if I had those adjustable dums ^ ^.

The cable attachment wasn't much extra as I didn't get the weight stack, I just put plates onto it. It's not essential but I like it for a few silly exercises, also a couple of girls train here now and again they cant do chins so the cable helps.

I got those adjustable dums back when I lived in a one bed apartment and had very little space. They suited me back then and I've held on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

White boards = Win ha ha

Pro fitness are def worth calling to. Paul is a gentleman and will chat to you on the phone or online for as long as you require and is as honest and nice a guy I have dealt with (dont know him personally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Is it wrong to want to buy a house to stick a gym in it ? ;)

I love the look of the set up in Wendlers gaff...

317876_169592386465019_306978365_n.jpg

No.
    I shudder at the thought of going to a gym again.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I love the look of the set up in Wendlers gaff...

317876_169592386465019_306978365_n.jpg

That's seriously nice. Although you'd need a pretty big house to have that much space to dedicate to your gym setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 munko

I'm enjoying the constant excuses for months now, unreturned calls, guarantees that it will be in "next week", lies given straight to my ear on the phone that they'll ring back in ten minutes after they check the delivery.
    Time for a refund which I'm sure will be just as painful as every other part of their 'customer service'.....thank god for credit card charge back, which I'll initiate if they don't refund me by this day next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's quite sad that there are so many bad reports about Irish Lifting under the current owners. Mick was ahead of his time setting it up circa 2007, I got quite excited at the time as can be seen from this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54208561

Since then I think there has been an increase in the popularity of both strength sports and home gyms, there are more Irish suppliers, more competition and IME UK suppliers are now more amenable to shipping to Ireland. If Irish Lifting gets a name for giving poor service I don't see it surviving.

So is Irish Lifting a no go? Even if I planned on collecting from them?

Have any of you guys got any other reputable and decent priced sellers in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

So is Irish Lifting a no go? Even if I planned on collecting from them?

Have any of you guys got any other reputable and decent priced sellers in Ireland?

Depends what you want.

Hanley wrote: »
    Depends what you want.

Olympic weights, benches, dumbells, possibly other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

They have sweet fa in stock last time I was on to them.

I'd go with somewhere else, got my weights off myhomefitness.ie and had no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

I got Irommaster dumbbells from www.valleyfitness.co.uk. they are expensive compare to other adjustable dumbbells, but there quality is unreal. they are adjustable from 2-34kg and you can get additional plates to take them to 54kg. I think there is even custom plates to make them 74kg. They also have a lifetime guarantee.

A couple of new additions to my home gym...

My plates were all over the place so I made two of these..
    DSC00337.jpg

Bars were all over the place so I made this..
    DSC00338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Howdy,

I've absolutrly no idea of how much this stuff costs. How much was your set up, if ya dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

kevpants wrote: »
    Some bad recent experiences based on a change of management. I called in to Paul Roberts place in Wexford the week before last.

http://www.profitness-supplies.com/

He's a nice bloke and I'd recommend giving him a call. He'd recommend you a good starter kit.

Good call!! ordered a KB online last wednesday night. arrived no hassle Friday lunchtime!

• Advertisement
Advertisement