Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Skimmed

Options
  • 02-05-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Bank just rang somebody went on a spending spree on my AIB laser card :o
    They said all the transactions done were obtained without using my pin, so the vendors did not go through proper procedure, and i will get my money bank.
    That card was mostly used withrawing cash outside tesco ardkeen, it doesnt mean that it did happen there, but to me it seems most likely.
    She mentioned vodafone a few times on the transactions.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Using a stolen card for mobile credit is a very common one alright, alot of the time they do it just to see if the card was reported stolen yet. If not they tend to move onto more expensive stuff.

Retailers should never have processed anything without PIN imho

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

What a crap thing to happen but at least the bank rang you.

They could have purchased the credit etc online (where you don't need a pin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Cabaal wrote: »
    Merchant Account T&C clearly state retailer takes the risk of MOTO transactions (not PIN confirmed, over the phone transactions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Sorry to hear that. I have a bit of a fear of this tbh. Tis bad enough for people covering bills etc as things are without someone taking anything else. Hopefully if my card was skimmed they'd realizse nothing was there and just fcuk off and forget about it :pac:

batm!ke wrote: »
    Hopefully if my card was skimmed they'd realizse nothing was there and just fcuk off and forget about it :pac:
    Same policy here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Thats bad. Luckily the bank copped on and rang you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

mine was skimmed about 2 weeks ago, I also used tesco ardkeen among other ATM's around the City.

I check my account every day and noticed an unusual transaction, so rang the bank and got the card cancelled there and then. Just had to fill out a form and 2 days later I got my cash refunded

Still waiting on my replacement Card though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Happened to my sister not long ago last place she remembers using it was out at discount fuels loads of place you can use a laser you don't always need the pin

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Cabaal wrote: »

Sometimes the cards don't ask for pins, especially foreign cards. Most Irish cards do but I get the odd one that won't ask for the pin, just a signature, and these are BOI, PTSB, AIB cards the lot not just 1 bank like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If it bypasses the pin then it cooulld be that the piin is blocked, very risky accepting these cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

It seems it's happened to me also :(
    Just noticed €250 missing from account and just been onto customer service on 365.
    I'm sick with worry now that the bank wont replace the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its possible that it was skimmed weeks ago. They way these gangs operate they have minions in Ireland who put in the devices then remove them and send off the data. Someone else puts your data on a blank card then sells a batch of blank cards on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

Funny that it was mentioned earlier - My OH woulda used the Ardkeen Tesco ATM a few weeks ago. Generally the ones I use are inside the stores like Centra, or cashback at the tills. I'll be avoiding that one in the future just in case.

Seems I'm mixing up posts - somebody mentioned Tesco Ardkeen on another post a couple of months ago. My brain is scrambled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

I always avoid the Tesco Ardkeen ATM for some reason. Although I'm usually the guy who's trying to pull the Fascia off the damn things to make sure they're legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I susupect mine was skimmed down on ulster bank the quay. heard recently someone else suspecting that one too, happened 5 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I wish Aldi/Lidl would give cash back.... then less need to use atm's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭decies

Total came to € 2500 plus
    € 1300 for pneus online
    My city deal 3 times.
    Asos. Com €235
    Whelans fuels € 300
    Imagine broadband €150
    Vodafone online two €40

Arbour blooms , florist !! € 83.95

decies wrote: »
    Total came to € 2500 plus
    € 1300 for pneus online
    My city deal 3 times.
    Asos. Com €235
    Whelans fuels € 300
    Imagine broadband €150
    Vodafone online two €40

And this is why I object AIB policy customer to keep minimum of €2500 to avoid fees. Thieves would be happy to find anything more than €50 each time.

Well obviously the tires, clothes and flowers order was accompanied with an address, an email address required by citydeals (plus another delivery address required if online shopping voucher), phone numbers topped by vodafone should also be registered and whelans fuels should have register car reg number or delivery address if heating oil. Interesting job they must have in their Fraud Prevention Units.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at bank account there today another suspect transaction my city deal for €12.50 , yep another fraudulent transaction on my new laser card that's only a few months old. This is the fourth time my city deal has come up ,I rang the crowd groupon and told them they should beef up their laser card transactions. So another card stopped and a new pin and card to follow again. Think will avoid tesco ardkeen tesco ATMs , just keep an eye on your bank statements for my city deal !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

decies wrote: »
    Just had a look at bank account there today another suspect transaction my city deal for €12.50 , yep another fraudulent transaction on my new laser card that's only a few months old. This is the fourth time my city deal has come up ,I rang the crowd groupon and told them they should beef up their laser card transactions. So another card stopped and a new pin and card to follow again. Think will avoid tesco ardkeen tesco ATMs , just keep an eye on your bank statements for my city deal !!!

Perhaps your bank account details have been compromised online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I wish Aldi/Lidl would give cash back.... then less need to use atm's.

The reason they don't is the time it takes to rectify mistakes because a customer was charged for cashback and didn't get it etc. You are more likely to lose money getting cashback in shops than through a card getting skimmed.

Advertisement