Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are the government lazy (+greedy) w**kers?

• 02-05-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Chewing gum tax?
    Why should i have to pay for a pack of skanks who do this without a second thought.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0502/media-3274495.html#

I know it's not in yet but I just think with other taxes such as the plastic bag one etc., is completely unfair for people, like myself who recycle, dispose of rubbish properly and other stuff you associate with a civilised person.

Punish everyone, take take take.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jay D wrote: »
    You know Jay... I think you might be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

That tax will certainly be hard to swallow if passed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Stupid too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wha' chew on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Let me chew on this for a bit and I'll get back to you....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Jay D wrote: »
    I know it's not in yet but I just think with other taxes such as the plastic bag one etc., is completely unfair for people, like myself who recycle, dispose of rubbish properly and other stuff you associate with a civilised person.

Did you recycle as diligently as you do now before the charges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

The Juicy Fruit are the easiest pickings. (Or something :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

something about a sticky situation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Sindri wrote: »
    Did you recycle as diligently as you do now before the charges?

Yeah. I've always done that little bit. Tiny effort to help preserve things for us all. It's really no biggie like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I ain't payin no more exORBITant taxes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GordonCole

That gum you like is going to come back in style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If only they chewed gum it might stop them spouting rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Xivilai wrote: »

FYP.

It wasn't obvious enough.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least we know there's never going to be a "Lazy-greedy-wanker Tax."

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Like most people in AH, I don't give a **** something it as it doesn't directly affect me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Can we Wrigley out of it?

Seriously though, I don't see the problem with this, once they put the tax on the price of the packets of chewing gum, and be more strict with handing out fines to those caught disposing of it incorrectly. It's dirty stuff and nothing worse that getting someone else's rotten chewing gum on you unsuspecting person. I'd be in favour of banning it outright and instead promoting tic tacs.

The amount of litter caused by chewing gum has been reduced by nearly 60%, according to the Minister for the Environment.

The campaign will be sponsored by chewing gum manufacturers to the tune of €9.6m over the next three years and involve 23 local authorities nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Another bubble going to burst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

and the gum will be hard to pass if swallowed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

GordonCole wrote: »
    That gum you like is going to come back in style

Very clever, we need more Twin Peaks based quotes around here.

I really don`t see it putting an end to eejits disposing of their chewing gum on the ground, which is a pet peeve of mine. I remember seeing some cleaners power hosing the footpath outside of the Tesco in Carlow some years ago and the amount of chewing gum they were uplifting was just indredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Extra taxes........ wonder will the blue cost more than the green now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

ejmaztec wrote: »
    At least we know there's never going to be a "Lazy-greedy-wanker Tax."

Or a tax for not keeping promises/lying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Uknow it really says something about the state of that culture or society,
    When I was in Cork the Streets were absolutely spotless, no chewin gum, those people have pride in their city.
    You have to ask why do the people who live in Dublin and throw chewing gum on the street have no pride or respect for their city?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

The Minister For Funny Taxes is at it again. Ah - the one last bit of enjoyment I had (Chewing 4 sticks of the stuff to get rid of the smell of smoke, driving home, and being able to roll it on my tongue and spit it 2 meters out of my window into the grass verge at 100km/h) is now being taxed.. What next - those long enjoyable silent egg or sprouts farts that you walk away from so someone else gets the blame? What uis this country coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

When I was in Cork the Streets were absolutely spotless, no chewin gum, those people have pride in their city.
    You have to ask why do the people who live in Dublin and throw chewing gum on the street have no pride or respect for their city?

You absolute spa.

You have to ask why some muppets think they can lump every single individual of the most populated (and most visited) city in the country into the same basket.

Cop on.

It will be hard for the government to wrigley out of this one.

You absolute spa.

You have to ask why some muppets think they can lump every single individual of the most populated (and most visited) city in the country into the same basket.

Cop on.

eh, no you cop on (idiot)
    I'm comparing the inhabitants of each city, Cork people who keep their City free of gum, and specifically the Dublin people who don't, did I make that simpler for you to understand. I was assuming that the general aHours poster understood what I meant, guess your the exception huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I noticed there was just as much gum on the ground in Cork as there was in Dublin.

Because I'm like that. I'll get the train down for the day and just wander about with a magnifying glass, notepad and pen and inspect the streets for gum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

whats the big deal about chewing gum on the footpath

its like ocd or something spending millions on cleaning and publicity campaigns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Yes, what's your point? As is, taxes are going to get higher, budgets stricter, etc, etc. Speaking of which, where's the Noonan thread?
    I'm comparing the inhabitants of each city, Cork people who keep their City free of gum, and specifically the Dublin people who don't, did I make that simpler for you to understand. I was assuming that the general aHours poster understood what I meant, guess your the exception huh?
    I live in Cork, it's basicly the same as everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Cork is gum free is it? Oh that must have been blue tac my half blind/dozy dog was eating so :rolleyes:

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything on the airwaves about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Don't Cork people burn their rubbish outside or some such mad ****e on a certain day of the year in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Am I alone in thinking that this is actually a pretty good idea? Its a tax that will raise a decent amount of revenue and its not going to cause much additional hardship to any specific section of society.

I loathe to admit it but...good job on this one government! :confused:

Augmerson wrote: »
    I noticed there was just as much gum on the ground in Cork as there was in Dublin.

Because I'm like that. I'll get the train down for the day and just wander about with a magnifying glass, notepad and pen and inspect the streets for gum.

Well I'm from Dublin and I noticed last summer the streets had less chewing gum than Dublin where a certain number of people have no pride and dump their gum on the pavement, maybe in certain blackspots but on the main street in Cork I didn't notice anything. thats what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Il Trap wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that this is actually a pretty good idea? Its a tax that will raise a decent amount of revenue and its not going to cause much additional hardship to any specific section of society.

I loathe to admit it but...good job on this one government! :confused:

Well that's my gripe. Why should I have to pay for other dirty lazy fúckers? It doesn't take much to place your gum in the bin, or wrap it in a tissue (or whatever), put it in your pocket and dispose of it later. I don't think they should blanket it and target everyone.

As for someone saying earlier if it means more effective fines for culprits, how will it? And what good is that to me? I'm still paying for a problem I done nothing to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

There are two problems I can see with this tax.

1. It is collected at the 'wrong' point. With plastic bags, all use was deemed to be bad for the environment, so these were taxed at the point of sale. With chewing gum, this is only bad if disposed of incorrectly. Everyone who buys chewing gum has to pay this tax regardless of how the chewing gum is disposed. This means that it will make no difference to how chewing gum is disposed. At best it will reduce the sales of chewing gum.

2. Any new tax or levy introduced after 2008 is money that will be misappropriated.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dumplin is by far the worst city for gum riddled streets anyway !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why don't people swallow the bloody stuff> It doesn't really stick to your ribs or get entangled in your intestines. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Xivilai wrote: »

In the interest of fairness, I would like to point out that there are other brands of chewing gum also available.

• Advertisement

Why don't people swallow the bloody stuff> It doesn't really stick to your ribs or get entangled in your intestines. :confused:

kjkj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

If there's to be a chewing gum tax, there should be a dog tax! For every piece of gum I see on the pavement these days, there is at least 2 dog turds.
    I'd like to see dog police, armed with colt 45's, & given a license to despatch all dogs pooping in public places, and their owners too! (regardless as to whether or not the owners themselves are also pooping...)

Draconian measures, but the world would be a better place...

FoxT wrote: »
    If there's to be a chewing gum tax, there should be a dog tax! For every piece of gum I see on the pavement these days, there is at least 2 dog turds.
    I'd like to see dog police, armed with colt 45's, & given a license to despatch all dogs pooping in public places, and their owners too! (regardless as to whether or not the owners themselves are also pooping...)

Draconian measures, but the world would be a better place...

ya dog crap is so annoying..

all owners walkin there dogs should be made buy pooper scoopers ...http://www.petworlddirect.ie/product/Dogs/DogCleanup/FO1824

i say these wouldnt be much good if its a scuttery one though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

NIALL D wrote: »
    ya dog crap is so annoying..

all owners walkin there dogs should be made buy pooper scoopers ...http://www.petworlddirect.ie/product/Dogs/DogCleanup/FO1824

i say these wouldnt be much good if its a scuttery one though :o

They could bloody well use a straw :(

Didn't I hear that they were going to develop that gum that would desolve on the pavement within 24 hours, why don't wrigley develop that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

that's ridiculous but not surprising coming from "The Regime"

I reckon all dole claimaints should be out scraping that gum off the pavements, earn that money so to speak.

shouldn't get something for nothing while the middle class have to hold up the kunt-tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

whats all the fuss about chewing gum?
    millions of euro spent on publicity and cleaning
    nothing happens when you step on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Anti-government Internet Posters: The most vocal with the least to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you forgot to put in scamming **** also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Didn't I hear that they were going to develop that gum that would desolve on the pavement within 24 hours, why don't wrigley develop that.

Chewing gum that dissolves would not really be fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement