Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer wants to see me personally to discuss my essay?! :O

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

My lecturer phoned me earlier and asked me if should meet me tommorow to discuss my essay personally. I dont think ive plagarised, I got my info from books and I referenced it? :S Im a first year and im freaking out am i in big trouble?? frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Don't worry! Perhaps he/she is just looking to clarify some point or other you've made. If you (calmly) make it clear that you didn't plagiarize, and perhaps even bring the books that you referenced (if you can - if they're in the library, then no matter) - it'll be grand!

Interesting that your lecturer has your phone number, but I'm not gonna ask why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

Don't worry! Perhaps he/she is just looking to clarify some point or other you've made. If you (calmly) make it clear that you didn't plagiarize, and perhaps even bring the books that you referenced (if you can - if they're in the library, then no matter) - it'll be grand!

Interesting that your lecturer has your phone number, but I'm not gonna ask why!

I asked her on the phone was something wrong and she said id like to discuss it with you in person :/ Im so scared..What will happen if she thinks ive plagarised? will i have to repeat the module :(
    She has the phone numbers of everyone in my class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Did you submit the essay in 'soft-copy' e.g. email or via Moodle or electronically?

If you did your lecturer may use sth like 'Turn it in' a Plagiarism identification program.

If not, then it'd be hard to make the statement.

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion though - it may be that she feels you may need guidance when writing essays, or she wants clarification re some points you made.

Either way, my advice is to be polite, honest, open to constructive feedback and thank them at the end. Take on board what she says - she is meeting you for a reason, so take advantage of the opoortunity to have a 5 min chat - you probably won't get too many similar opportunities.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

If you didn't plagiarize, you didn't plagiarize, don't worry about it!
    And even if you fail the module (v. unlikely), if you pass 75% of your modules in Stage One, and have a GPA above 2.0, you can compensate the module so you won't have to repeat.

What % was the essay worth?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

There's a chance they're doing a spot-check in the department; it may be nothing to do with you, but just a general thing to make sure that students are working independently and are coping with the material. If a few essays brought up similar points, that might also be the reason.

I'd wager you've nothing to be concerned about.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    Did you submit the essay in 'soft-copy' e.g. email or via Moodle or electronically?

If you did your lecturer may use sth like 'Turn it in' a Plagiarism identification program.

If not, then it'd be hard to make the statement.

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion though - it may be that she feels you may need guidance when writing essays, or she wants clarification re some points you made.

Either way, my advice is to be polite, honest, open to constructive feedback and thank them at the end. Take on board what she says - she is meeting you for a reason, so take advantage of the opoortunity to have a 5 min chat - you probably won't get too many similar opportunities.

Best of luck!

hey i submitted a hard copy of my essay. I dont think ive plagarised but maybe ive referenced wrong or somethin? :( Hopefully youre right and she just wants me to clear up a few things and shes not going to fail me!

If you didn't plagiarize, you didn't plagiarize, don't worry about it!
    And even if you fail the module (v. unlikely), if you pass 75% of your modules in Stage One, and have a GPA above 2.0, you can compensate the module so you won't have to repeat.

What % was the essay worth?

The essay was worth 30 percent :O i have to pass each assigment individually to pass the module :( hopefully this is nothing cos i didnt set out to do anything wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Strong chance she thinks you plagiarised. Since you are first year though and if you actually have a copy of the books or remembers links to what you quoted you should be fine. She should be decent an accept you just didn't reference it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If you submit your essay online the software can say you have plagiarised erroneously. This happens because you have a lot of quotes in your essay. Don't worry about it!

Even if you had plagiarised there aren't usually huge sanctions for a 1st year 1st offender.

Advertisement