Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Selling Song Of All Time In Ireland - What Is It??

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I was trying to find some chart info with regards to the best selling single of all time in Ireland. You would have thought it was Riverdance with it being at number 1 for 18 weeks, but apparantly I heard its only the second best selling song of all time here Does anyone know what our best selling song of all time is??

U2 maybe??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Gnobe wrote: »
    I was trying to find some chart info with regards to the best selling single of all time in Ireland. You would have thought it was Riverdance with it being at number 1 for 18 weeks, but apparantly I heard its only the second best selling song of all time here Does anyone know what our best selling song of all time is??

U2 maybe??

Maniac 2000 by Mark McCabe iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's "Something About The Way You Look Tonight / Candle In The Wind" by Elton John. I think it was released after Princess Diana died in '97.

Number two is Riverdance.

Number three is "Whole Lotta Lovin" by Six.

U2 aren't even in the top 20. Richie Kavanagh and Shaggy are in there though.

http://www.irishcharts.ie/top_twenty/toptwenty.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Christ on a bike that's an abysmal list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭cml387

No mention of "One Day At A Time" by Gloria?
    That was number one for most of 1977 as far as I remember.

Malice wrote: »
    Christ on a bike that's an abysmal list.

I know it's pretty awful. The only two good songs in there are Eminem's.

But when you consider who buys singles then you wouldn't be expecting anything different. Surprised that Shaggy has two on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The only two good songs in there are Eminem's.
    Well I'd have a soft spot for the Live Aid single and the Goo Goo Dolls aren't too bad either. Otherwise yeah, it's terrible.

I'm quite surprised U2 aren't on there. Were people just too poor to buy their singles in the early to mid eighties?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Didn't realize Shaggy was so popular in Ireland! Still, slightly better than the UK...too much Boney M for my liking!

1 Candle In The Wind 97/Something About The Way You Look Tonight Elton John (4.8m)
    2 Do They Know Its Christmas? Band Aid (3.51m)
    3 Bohemian Rhapsody Queen (2.13m)
    4 Mull Of Kintyre/Girls' School Wings (2.05m)
    5 Rivers Of Babylon/Brown Girl In The Ring Boney M (1,995,000)
    6 Relax Frankie Goes to Hollywood (1.91m)
    7 She Loves You The Beatles (1.89m)
    8 You're The One That I Want John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John (1.87m)
    9 Unchained Melody Robson and Jerome (1.82m)
    10 Mary's Boy Child Boney M (1.79m)
    11 Love Is All Around Wet Wet Wet (1,783,82712)
    12 Anything Is Possible / Evergreen Will Young (1,779,938)
    13 I Just Called To Say I Love You Stevie Wonder (1,775,000)
    14 I Want To Hold Your Hand The Beatles (1,750,000)
    15 Barbie Girl Aqua (1,722,418)
    16 Believe Cher (1,672,108)
    17 Perfect Day Various Artists (1,548,538)
    18 (Everything I Do) I Do It For You Bryan Adams (1,527,824)
    19 Tears Ken Dodd (1,521,000)
    20 Can't Buy Me Love The Beatles (1,520,000)

Malice wrote: »
    Well I'd have a soft spot for the Live Aid single and the Goo Goo Dolls aren't too bad either. Otherwise yeah, it's terrible.

I'm quite surprised U2 aren't on there. Were people just too poor to buy their singles in the early to mid eighties?

I'd forgotten about the Goo Goo Dolls. That's another to add to the very small 'decent song' list.

I'm very surprised as well that not even one of their songs is on it. The only way I could explain it is that they had so many hits that people were able to buy an album and they's have 3/4 number 1 singles on that. U2 had 19 number 1s in Ireland. That's not even a great explanation. I can't think of a proper answer really.

One think I did notice though was that pre-1992 the system for counting singles sales was much different than it is now. Maybe that had a part to play.
    Before the introduction of over-the-counter sales tracking, the Irish Charts were compiled from record company ship-out statistics. In other words, the charts were based on the supply to retail rather than the sale to the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Iris is the musical equivalent of a hemorrhoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

So the best selling song in Ireland is a song about a (Ex) British Royal from a state that defined itself against the British Royals.

Execellent I knew there was an inner British in us all. I wonder even why there was so much fuss about the Queen coming over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

DColeman wrote: »
    So the best selling song in Ireland is a song about a (Ex) British Royal from a state that defined itself against the British Royals.

Execellent I knew there was an inner British in us all. I wonder even why there was so much fuss about the Queen coming over.

Most of the Irish sales were for the Mother Theresa(who died the same week) tribute version on the b-side. "Sandals in the bin"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure about those lists.

Everyone knows that to get into the charts today you only need to sell a fraction of the numbers sold by The Beatles, Abba etc. in 'ye olden times' and yet neither The Beatles nor Abba get a mention?

I suspect it's an 'as voted on by our under 16 listeners' chart.

cml387 wrote: »
    No mention of "One Day At A Time" by Gloria?
    That was number one for most of 1977 as far as I remember.

I checked it up there and it was in the charts for 90 weeks straight. Of course that could well mean that it was only selling a few hundred for a vast majority of those weeks.

Just listened to it there. No idea how it stayed so popular for so long. Not exactly the greatest tune of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭cml387

I checked it up there and it was in the charts for 90 weeks straight. Of course that could well mean that it was only selling a few hundred for a vast majority of those weeks.

Just listened to it there. No idea how it stayed so popular for so long. Not exactly the greatest tune of all time.

To stay in the charts it must have been selling, just sayin'.

You're right about it being awful, if only because it got played so often.

AFAIK Kris Kristofferson bears some responsibility for it.

cml387 wrote: »
    To stay in the charts it must have been selling, just sayin'.

You're right about it being awful, if only because it got played so often.

AFAIK Kris Kristofferson bears some responsibility for it.

I know it was obviously selling something. I don't think it spent a lot of time at number 1 though so when it dropped from there it might only have needed to sell a few hundred to stay in the charts.

It racks up over time but it wouldn't have had the same impact as say Riverdance which was at the top for 4 and a half months. You're talking a couple of thousand each week for 18 weeks. That would definitely account for more than staying in the charts for 90 weeks or whatever in my opinion anyway.

Ah I hope Kris didn't have anything to do with it. If he did then I could see why it sold but he's too good for that kind of a song.

Advertisement