Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda area burglaries

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Just a word of warning to anyone in the area that there has been a lot of burglaries lately. Today alone, my house in Finians Park, a house in Ballsgrove and a house in Marleys court have been done. And as the Garda said, they are the houses that they know of so far.

There was a large amount of cash taken from mine and the upstairs was ransacked. We had only left the house to go to Tesco and were home and all within half an hour to 40 minutes. The neighbour seen 2 lads in dark Adidas track suits jumping the wall of the house next to ours just as we drove up the driveway so we must have interrupted them.

My dog was very giddy and had a large chunk of fabric in his mouth so with a bit of luck he has taken a chunk out of one of their legs too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

****'s, how did they get in, can i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

kbell wrote: »
    ****'s, how did they get in, can i ask?

They used a screwdriver or similar to pop the lock open. Couldn't get over how easily the frame of the door moved (uPVC door) with a screwdriver in place and then all that had to be done was slide the lock back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I know more than a few people who have been done recently, there is an unmentioned heroine issue in Drogheda and chancers and career crims from Dublin driving up for easy pickings imo.

In every case I've heard of they bypass bulky electronic goods and head straight for the the bed rooms where the cash and gold is usually kept.

@Mark :wonder if u live on the same part of finians my folks do? They have an alarm and a dog but from what I gather these boys seems to be striking at times when ud not expect to be robbed like 6 - 8pm on a week day..... which is when people would take the dog out or go to tesco ... meaning places are being watched. I was down for a few days last week and I have to say where we are you would notice anyone strange hanging around so if we were done I'd point the finger at someone local.

calex71 wrote: »

@Mark :wonder if u live on the same part of finians my folks do? They have an alarm and a dog but from what I gather these boys seems to be striking at times when ud not expect to be robbed like 6 - 8pm on a week day..... which is when people would take the dog out or go to tesco ... meaning places are being watched. I was down for a few days last week and I have to say where we are you would notice anyone strange hanging around so if we were done I'd point the finger at someone local.

I live in the zig-zags as we call them, or Finians terrace. We left at 12.05 to head to Tesco and were back before 12.40. Unfortunately none of the neighbours seen much which is unusual. Nothing gets by most of them. :D

Exactly as you said though about going straight for the cash though. There was plenty of expensive electronics, tvs, laptops etc but that was all left behind. My dog is a boxer/Rottweiller cross so it took a brave person to get into the garden with him! Although if you don't want to get caught a dog is probably the least of your worries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dad caught a guy in our driveway at 3:30 this morning mooching around the cars in Grange Rath. Guy ran off quick enough but fair warning to people to check their cars are locked and empty every night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Absolute scum!!

Is it time to setup a vigilante justice league of Drogheda?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well I'm already patrolling the rooftops in spandex...

:eek: ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I saw this fella heading into Dunnes earlier, thought he looked familiar.

http://www.mlo.me/upen/l/2011/201112/20111221/20111221132438463_1_8321.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

calex71 wrote: »
    I know more than a few people who have been done recently, there is an unmentioned heroine issue in Drogheda and chancers and career crims from Dublin driving up for easy pickings imo.

I think you have enough junkies and scum of your own up there before you start pointing the finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

This is unfortunately true, however the recent spate of burglaries here are being orchestrated by a north Dublin gang.
    This is from the guard who investigated the attempt to get into my home a few weeks back, the same night that several houses in Marion park and hillbrookdrive area's were targeted.
    The elderly lady around the corner who was greeted upon returning to her home by 2 men leaving her front door carrying her belongings, was told to **** off and get out of the way in Dublin accents.

wush06 wrote: »
    I think you have enough junkies and scum of your own up there before you start pointing the finger.

Don't recall saying they didn't have plenty of their own ( I say "they" and not "we" because I actually live in your part of dublin at the moment :p ) but it's been well reported on in recent times that the fact is crims are travelling outside of dublin to do "jobs" as there is less risk involved for them.

You also say that defensively like it's a slight on Dublin or something, I've been around long enough and am reasonably intelligent enough to know that not all people or even a large % of folks from north or west dublin are scum, quite the opposite in my experience. Scum is scum no matter where it's born and breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

2 houses done in here moneymore last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

time to whip out the sawn off shotgun.

get ready bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

In my day job I am dealing with the aftermath burglaries on a near daily basis, I know you may have heard this before, but these scum are absolute opportunists and if you can make your house a little more secure than neighbouring houses, chances are they will just move on to the next house.
    I think at this stage every house should have a burglar alarm, as this is proven to be an obvious deterrent.

We dealt with one burglary last Christmas where there had been 2 adjoining properties burgled, the culprits attempted to gain access to the first house and they could not get through the door, although they did manage to damage it, but when they got in to the second house they stole lots of belongings and 2 cars.

I know it may be too little too late for you but, you really should consider having a burglar alarm fitted, also if your home has been burgled you don’t want the culprits to have free run of your house when they do get in, you should always lock internal doors and take the keys out, that way they can be confined to one room only.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

^^^ We had all the bedroom doors locked along with a hot press door. Each of them were basically kicked in. Doors, frames and locks all destroyed on 5 different doors. Over €2000 to fix them all alone. Still waiting to hear back from the insurance to see if they will cover it.

You may not think it now but you probably did manage to stop them completely clearing out your house by having the doors locked, imagine if they were just strolling about and had free access to everything it would be an absolute free-for-all for them.

What I find the worst part for yourself now can be the way in which your insurance company deal with you, from my experience they do not want to pay out and wherever they can avoid it they will, make sure you have a loss assessor on the case acting on your behalf.

I can tell you one thing for sure, providing you do have the correct insurance cover in place you will be entitled to full reinstatement for all of the damaged parts of your building and all of the stolen contents, so if you are representing yourself in this case just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MDPolak

I think at this stage every house should have a burglar alarm, as this is proven to be an obvious deterrent.

We dealt with one burglary last Christmas where there had been 2 adjoining properties burgled, the culprits attempted to gain access to the first house and they could not get through the door, although they did manage to damage it, but when they got in to the second house they stole lots of belongings and 2 cars.

Hi everyone. My first post here so please be tolerant :)

Regarding burglar alarm; it's good to have one but it won't help if they brake in to your house with simple screwdriver and then ask you to turn the alarm off threatening you with a knife or other deadly weapon. You'd be lucky if you're not there at the time of burglary and only come back home later on to find out that your laptop and the camera is gone and your front door has been damaged. Believe me or not but if this happen you will hand over everything they ask for, to protect yourself and your family and you'll do the right thing because risking your life is not worth it. So the question is, wouldn't be better to invest a little bit of your money to make your house more secure and keep the burglars outside or at least increase their attempts to brake in to maximum? There's only a few things to be done:
    - Removing weak PVC or wooden front door and installing strong security door which is not possible or at least very difficult to break through. Most expensive thing but if you search carefully on the internet you can find a good offer and get this done for about 1300-1500Euro.
    - Replacing regular door cylinder by attested one (anti-snap, anti bumping method) at your patio door + installing some extra surface mounted locks. Attested barrel cost 40-60Euro.
    - Securing your windows (mainly at the back) and patio door against smashing by sticking some safety window films. Not sure what the price is but you can find out yourself.

Not that I'm an expert but these extras + house alarm will probably make your life easier.

@MDPolak
    I think that you are very correct in what you are saying there, I think that thankfully in Ireland these days most of the burglaries are opportunists and an alarm can be a simple and effective deterrent, people should have their properties secure as possible, I know i do, but afterall I am involved in an industry that deals with the repercussions of these incidents so I would be a little more security conscious than most.

However the point that I think is most important here is that people never want to feel like a prisoner in their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Neighbours of mine was burgled a couple of months back on a Saturday afternoon. The alarm box had been dismantled (not sure if on the day or previously). They simply kicked in the glass of the patio door. No amount of fancy locks would have prevented it. Plus with it being toughened glass it doesn't 'crash' like a widow so it's not very noisy when smashed, sounds more like a bucket of ice being thrown on the floor.

As seems to be the current MO with burglaries, they bypassed all electronics for a small amount of cash and gold.

• Advertisement

There definitely should be some regulation of all of these 'cash for gold' dealers. They set up meetings in local community centres and halls and everyone and anyone can bring in gold and walk away with an amount of cash no questions asked. I know for fact that this type of business is fuelling burglaries.

Anybody that is concerned about the security that their front door gives to their home should definitely check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctvzx04UKZM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A few points on burglaries....

1/ A house alarm provides pyschological comfort but not much else. Research in the UK has shown that most burlgars pay little attention to the alarm. They can be either bypassed and are generally ignored in todays society by neighbours and passers by.

The average burglar spends 3 to 4 minutes in a property and so even ones connected to eircom phone watch or whatever its called wont be any good unless you can be there in an instant.

By all means get one if you like and hopefully get cheaper insurace but dont rely on it.

2/ Most window locks and frames are pretty useless and can be forced and removed without much effort. Secondary locks are essential espeically on patio doors. When the crims are just breaking the entire glass to get in no amount of locks or alarms will help you as these are determined people who will probably hurt anyone that gets in their way. There are highly toughened glass panels available though to combat this.

To the person who locked all their internal doors. This is a common mistake. If the external boundary can be breached then nothing will stop them. Take great care claiming on your insurance for such a small sum. your annual insurance premium may increase by anything from €300 to €1000 PER YEAR on top of what your allready paying for making a claim like this. Factor this into any decision.

Basically dont keep anything valuable on view and dont tell anyone about any fancy stuff, gold or otherwise. (you'd be amazed at how mnay people brag about stuff like this.)

Build up good relations with neighbours to keep watch.

Invest in good secondary locks and where you feel an alarm.

Most burglary's are opportunity driven. open windows and easy picking opportunuties are where they strike first.

Good post Lantus.

I agree strongly on the alarm. I think the main advantage is peace of mind while you sleep. Knowing you won't wake at 5am with someone standing over you with a boiling kettle of water looking for your PIN number. Internal siren when getting an alarm fitted is a must.

Unfortunately, locks will only keep honest people out.

Good advice Lantus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Having fairly recently moved to Ireland one of aspects of daily life that has struck me most is the amount of bloody house alarms that set-off. Really irritating. No wonder they're ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

and if you are unfortunate enough to get burgeled... don't depend on the Cops doing too much!!
    They're about as useful as a nun with big boobs! (Trust me, it's happened me twice in the past.)

Not really a fair comment Kormak. Most burglars are in and out in 2-4 minutes. The burglary get reported 1,2, maybe 5 hours later?

When the Guards do arrive they will take a list of what's stolen and will do a forensics exam. What more can they do?? What do you feel wasn't done the twice you were robbed?

Have a look at the latest statistics. Detection rates are actually pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Scotty # wrote: »
    Not really a fair comment Kormak. Most burglars are in and out in 2-4 minutes. The burglary get reported 1,2, maybe 5 hours later?

When the Guards do arrive they will take a list of what's stolen and will do a forensics exam. What more can they do?? What do you feel wasn't done the twice you were robbed?

Have a look at the latest statistics. Detection rates are actually pretty high.

The last two times I was burgled, once in my parents house and once in my own house.
    On both occasions the Gardai took nearly 6/7/8 hours to arrive onsite.
    I would expect them to arrive a little more timely than this. Stolen goods change hands VERY QUICKLY!!

On both occasions they speculated who it could have been and how they "might" have gained entry without very little examination of the scene.
    I expect them to me more thorough in their seraches instead of just speculating...

They took statements and then I never heard from them again... When I queried weeks later I got blunt responses back!
    I cannot go into too touch detail for obvious legal reasons but let's just say it wouldn't (or should I say doesn't) inspire confidence in them. (I'm speaking purely out of persoanl opinion here of course!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

our house was done last night the house was ran sacked
    the guards just came and had a look around took few minor details name address etc
    we even knew who did it as they were caught by the girlfriends brother who lives directly across from us had seen flashes of lights coming from the rooms knowing we were away for the night caught two fellas who live 5 doors up in the act
    one has just been arrested doubt much will be done tho his word against ours no finger prints of noting taken so no proof really is there
    slap on the wrist and out in an hour id say

Advertisement