Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda area burglaries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Robbed by your neighbours? A new low. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Antares wrote: »

Mine turned out to be a neighbour too. From 2 doors away. He got 6 months for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Tougher sentences is needed in this country. I have read so many times of criminals being up in court on there 15 - 30 conviction. First offence maybe give them a short sentence but if the same person is back in court for serious offence they need to be given a tough sentence. There just going into court knowing how the system works and an hour later walking straight back out free to do it all over again.

Tougher sentences is needed in this country. I have read so many times of criminals being up in court on there 15 - 30 conviction. First offence maybe give them a short sentence but if the same person is back in court for serious offence they need to be given a tough sentence. There just going into court knowing how the system works and an hour later walking straight back out free to do it all over again.

Where do we put them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Where do we put them though?

This is the thing. I have thought about it a lot about this - apparently it costs the state 72,000 or so euro to keep a person in prison. What the flip? Isn't that double the average industrial wage for someone does 40 hours or more of hard work per week, many hours of commute and associated costs, might be supporting a family, puts up with crappy health service and the criminals in the society and pay the tax and levies etc, where as someone who knowingly broke the law and made some hardworking lad / families life miserable, get either just a slap on the wrist, or some minor fine, or a very minor jail term, or in the very extreme cases, a longer jail term, but only to be put into an 'open prison' after a year or so, and provided with free accommodation, food, entertainment, education and what not! And if they decide to walk out of the 'open prison', hmm, that's okay, because we don't have enough resource to go and find them. :rolleyes:

If I were in charge (let's all hope I won't be, EVER), I would seriously suggest outsourcing our prison system. Just the thought of spending a few months in some flea infested dark jail cells of South East Asia or arid sub-saharan Africa would put the fear of law into our local scum.

/sorry for ranting..!

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »

/sorry for ranting..!

I don't think you're ranting and it's relevant to the topic at hand.
    I spent an afternoon in Dundalk court and was appalled by what I saw. I've had one speeding ticket in my life and for everything else, I've never been caught :D

I don't have a record and I don't really plan to either but if lets say my car tax was out by a few months or I did something stupid some night when pished.... I'd be screwed to the wall.

Personally I think we need to introduce work camps and if you don't work and don't hit your quota then you lose luxuries. Not basic luxuries, but stuff like TV, Magazines etc... and if you persist in non compliance then your sentence keeps getting longer.

We do need to get tougher.... I agree..... A spell in South East Asia though? Maybe not ! :)

Point is, there's no real deterrence for these guys.

I don't think you're ranting and it's relevant to the topic at hand.
    I spent an afternoon in Dundalk court and was appalled by what I saw. I've had one speeding ticket in my life and for everything else, I've never been caught :D

I don't have a record and I don't really plan to either but if lets say my car tax was out by a few months or I did something stupid some night when pished.... I'd be screwed to the wall.

Personally I think we need to introduce work camps and if you don't work and don't hit your quota then you lose luxuries. Not basic luxuries, but stuff like TV, Magazines etc... and if you persist in non compliance then your sentence keeps getting longer.

We do need to get tougher.... I agree..... A spell in South East Asia though? Maybe not ! :)

Point is, there's no real deterrence for these guys.

It's not just the courts, the Gardai have a part to play as well. We called after an attempted burglary, two came down in a squadcar and one got out and took a statement on the street. Meantime a neighbour came running out having disturbed probably the same person in her house. Still neither of the Gardai checked the back garden and later that night someone around the back got broken into.
    As well as that the Gardai love easy targets. I've seen plenty of times where people will be sitting drinking in town for hours on end hassling people and nothing done about it. Few people keeping to themselves though and the Gardai love to pick them out instead.

It's not just the courts, the Gardai have a part to play as well. We called after an attempted burglary, two came down in a squadcar and one got out and took a statement on the street. Meantime a neighbour came running out having disturbed probably the same person in her house. Still neither of the Gardai checked the back garden and later that night someone around the back got broken into.
    As well as that the Gardai love easy targets. I've seen plenty of times where people will be sitting drinking in town for hours on end hassling people and nothing done about it. Few people keeping to themselves though and the Gardai love to pick them out instead.

I won't discredit your claims but to be honest, most dealings that I've had with the Gardai were quite positive with the odd exception to Driving issues etc..

I don't think the system will ever be flawless but think we should make our local Representatives stand up and notice the concerns that we have. :)

I would do away with all the luxuries they get in prison. No tv no magazines no gyms nothing 4 walls and a 2 hour walk about. Minor convictions I would give community service, let them help clean the streets, scrub graffiti of walls, clean our rivers of all the crap there is loads that they could do to free up badly needed cells for real criminals that attack people and break into peoples properties. Feed them the bare essentials and water. If there willing to do the crime they can do the time in the worst conditions. Why are we treating them to so much when there is decent ordinary people less well off than what they get locked up.

O you got caught robbing a house for the 100th time ok its time you went to this lovely prison, we will feed you lovely food let you watch tv have fun and learn anything you want - Where is the justice in that?

I think we still have meet general human rights mate. :)

• Advertisement

But what about human rights for the people that get attacked while sleeping in there beds, People that get held up at gun point. Some of these attacks leave hard working decent folk shook up and in fear for years. If there willing to go out and do damage to other peoples property or to another human well I don't think they should have any rights.

But what about human rights for the people that get attacked while sleeping in there beds, People that get held up at gun point. Some of these attacks leave hard working decent folk shook up and in fear for years. If there willing to go out and do damage to other peoples property or to another human well I don't think they should have any rights.

http://www.un.org/en/

Talk to them about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Not at all. I'd say a huge percentage of burglaries are by neighbours or people who are known to the victim.
    Tougher sentences is needed in this country.
    I agree but not sure that will work. Look at the US. Murder rates in states with the death penalty are no lower than those that don't have it.
    positron wrote: »
    apparently it costs the state 72,000 or so euro to keep a person in prison. What the flip?
    Prison Guards are among the highest paid civil servants in the country. I watched a program on Strangeways the other night and it took 12 guards to move one inmate from one cell to another because he was so uncooperative, not violent, just wouldn't do anything he was told. Dentists, doctors, guards, teachers, councillors, chefs, administrators, wardens, maintenance, etc, etc, etc..... all adds up. I'm surprised it's not more tbh.
    Personally I think we need to introduce work camps and if you don't work and don't hit your quota then you lose luxuries.
    I'd be all for this. SME's could be set up that might even turn a profit and might give proper employment to inmates upon release.
    O you got caught robbing a house for the 100th time ok its time you went to this lovely prison, we will feed you lovely food let you watch tv have fun and learn anything you want - Where is the justice in that?
    Full dental and medical care, 3rd level education, temporary release for family occasions, gym access... sure they have a higher standard of living than most of us.

The thing is, if you treat people like animals they will behave like animals. I do think items like Playstations and TV's inside cells are a bit on the luxury side but there does have to be a balance. The treat threat of prison needs to be more of a deterrent than it currently is. We need 3x -5x times as many prison spaces than we have at the moment but we just don't have the money to fund them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Scotty # wrote: »
    Prison Guards are among the highest paid civil servants in the country. I watched a program on Strangeways the other night and it took 12 guards to move one inmate from one cell to another because he was so uncooperative, not violent, just wouldn't do anything he was told. Dentists, doctors, guards, teachers, councillors, chefs, administrators, wardens, maintenance, etc, etc, etc..... all adds up. I'm surprised it's not more tbh.

That is just about everything that's wrong about current prison system. Chef to cook for prisoners who sit around doing nothing? Give them a kitchen and tell them to cook for everyone, and for the homeless - like a soup kitchen, manned by prisoners. Prison system with telly, library, sports activities, chef and laundry sounds like a nice hotel - and free education too, what's there not to like about Irish prisons? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Scotty # wrote: »

Full dental and medical care, 3rd level education, temporary release for family occasions, gym access... sure they have a higher standard of living than most of us.

addition to the list... they get paid too for doing noting i think its €1 0r 75cent a day which u can save up for the shop or u can save it up and when you get out its yours so nice little sum of money if your doing some long time it really is like a holiday camp

Just heard this and I am shocked. Straight away this is money that could be saved or put into the country to get people back working.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Footballs for prisoners cost taxpayers €80k in past 2 years
    Figures from Prison Service show the cost of new balls has increased from almost €36,000 in 2010 to nearly €46,000 last year. The expenditure was part of a €770,000 sports budget for the prison system in 2010 and 2011.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Just heard this and I am shocked. Straight away this is money that could be saved or put into the country to get people back working.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Footballs for prisoners cost taxpayers €80k in past 2 years
    Figures from Prison Service show the cost of new balls has increased from almost €36,000 in 2010 to nearly €46,000 last year. The expenditure was part of a €770,000 sports budget for the prison system in 2010 and 2011.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

how else do you expect them to get all that heroin over those high prison walls?

Advertisement