Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game 'not as advertised'.

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of an issue here, that I just had to run by someone. I bought a game in Xtra Vision today - Lord of the Rings: War in the North on PC. On the box, it is listed as a 'Games for Windows Live' title. However, when I installed it, I discovered it is not a Windows Live game at all, but a Steam one! I googled it, and apparently some version of the games have incorrect box art - it should be a Games for Windows title, not a Games for Windows Live title. So it is entirely not what is advertised on the box, essentially! I know Xtra Vision did not print the game, but it's still incredibly annoying as I chose it based on the LIVE functionality (which it doesn't have at all). I have a receipt...but I know that if I attempted to bring an already opened PC game back to the store, they'll probably refuse to even listen to me. Just wanted to see what others thought...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is there a problem with the game - does it not play on your PC, or is it the "Windows Live" thing that's bothering you?

If you have to download updates; you could argue that you don't have broadband and look for your money back; maybe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Game works fine, but the lack of LIVE annoys me when it's written on the box, disc and manual. I guess it'd be like buying a DVD that lists Special Features on the box, then discovering there are none, even though the movie itself is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's quite simple - the product is not as advertised. Therefore you are entitled to one of the 3 Rs - refund, repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

I'm sure they'll sort it out for you, their customer service is usually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

dudara wrote: »
    It's quite simple - the product is not as advertised. Therefore you are entitled to one of the 3 Rs - refund, repair or replacement.

It can't be repaired, since there's nothing actually broken about it. If there is no GFWL version of it, it can't be replaced, so refund is really the only option.

Presumably Xtravision will refuse to replace it, as they never refund PC games, but in this case it's definitely not what was advertised.

Could always go the SCC route if they refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its cut and dry,

The box art was incorrect as such the product was misrepresented, you couldn't have known without opening and installing. You'd be fully entitled to a refund if Xtravision can't provide you with the correct product, as pointed out they can't repair the existing product.

If they refuse they are in the wrong here,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have you installed and registered the game on steam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just to update this, Xtra Vision were surprisingly great about it, and swapped it for the Xbox version of the game without any hassle at all. So thumbs up in that regard, good customer service. I emailed their head office just to inquire about a remedy, and a guy called Michael sorted me out pretty quickly.

Advertisement