Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner Leg Development

Options
  • 02-05-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Recently, my instructor told me that I needed to improve the muscle on my inner, upper leg. I've been trying to think since and I can't come up with anything that could help with this other than joining a gym (which I can't afford) or swimming (which I can't do for health reasons). I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or know of other ways at home to help?

I am starting yoga classes over the summer once I finish my exams which might help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

hey! just saw your post and immediately thought yoga!
    I'm a yoga teacher and I love riding and yoga will definitely help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi Op, I am just reading the Mary Wanless book 'Ride with Your Mind Essentials' at the moment. She recommends a pilates circle (about £12 on Amazon.co.uk) or a Thighmaster (€6 in Dunnes Stores).

A beach ball might work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks, I'll definitely start the yoga anyway and I'll have a go with that Thighmaster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Lots and lots of trotting work, standing up in your stirrups will defo help improve those muscles - and in doing so, try raising the stirrups up a few holes, even up to jockey length as you get more comfortable in doing it. I had an instructor years ago who swore by standing up in stirrups!

MDFM wrote: »
    Lots and lots of trotting work, standing up in your stirrups will defo help improve those muscles - and in doing so, try raising the stirrups up a few holes, even up to jockey length as you get more comfortable in doing it. I had an instructor years ago who swore by standing up in stirrups!

That's the thing, I've done hour lessons where I wasn't allowed to sit in trot and had to adjust my stirrups from the first hole, down to as far as I could without touching the saddle and back up again. Plus with the trotting, I do Equine Science in UL and they really take you back to basics. We only really were doing walk and trot up until about 4 or 5 weeks ago :p

Thanks for your suggestion though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Socos2

A weighted swing squat is a good exercise for building up your inner leg. You should be able to find a video of this movement on youtube. Its what was recommended to me when I asked a trainer.

Socos2 wrote: »
    A weighted swing squat is a good exercise for building up your inner leg. You should be able to find a video of this movement on youtube. Its what was recommended to me when I asked a trainer.

I've gotta feeling that's going to leave me in pain for the first few days :pac: Shall have to invest in a pair of weights!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Socos2

Build the weight up gradually. Even just a bag of sugar to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Socos2 wrote: »

I was also going to suggest something like this :)
    I have joined a boot-camp class recently and exercises like this have a huge effect on your legs - I can really feel the difference now;
    They are also quite easy to do at home - no need for an expensive gym;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

sup_dude wrote: »
    .. I do Equine Science in UL and they really take you back to basics. ..

Do students not get free access to the UL gym?

• Advertisement

Do students not get free access to the UL gym?

Reduced but not free. It's still beyond my budget I'm afraid

sup_dude wrote: »
    Reduced but not free. It's still beyond my budget I'm afraid

Wow, some colleges give students free access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Wow, some colleges give students free access.

I've never come across that - wish I'd gone to those colleges! :(

Which ones give free access, granturismo?

convert wrote: »
    I've never come across that - wish I'd gone to those colleges! :(

Which ones give free access, granturismo?

NUIM at least, possibly NUIG?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No stirrups and try to rise in trot, you'll have leg muscles any body builder would envy.

No stirrups and try to rise in trot, you'll have leg muscles any body builder would envy.

How's that for inner, upper leg muscle? I'll give it a go anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's good for all your upper leg work and overall fitness-especially if you have a horse with a choppy/short trot!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Take away your stirrups and then do rising trot! You'll be walking like John Wayne afterwards but it works!

Advertisement