Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent question: If bollocks is the plural of bollock...

• 02-05-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...as in "one bollock", "two bollocks",

How can you say "a bollocks"?
    As in "You little bollocks" or "He's a right bollocks"

:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

"He's a right bollocks"

I think the two of you are bollockseses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Usually the people I call 'little bollixes' or the like are too stupid to recognise any grammatical errors I make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ah bollox off with your questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

...as in "one bollock", "two bollocks",

They only come in pairs, like scissors.

or sheep:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Maybe is like cactus and cacti.

"Ya pair of bolloci! "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Forget bollocks, one guy thought I had 2 ass holes!

Cos one day I walked into my local with my 2 mates and the barman goes

"Oh ****, here comes that bloke with the two ass holes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bullocks? What's all this about Bullocks?

Take it to the farming forum for feck's sake! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Isn't there two 'L's in bollocks??

I imagine "bollocks" refers to the actual set of gonads, no? And is therefore a singular? A bit like a sack of potatoes, it's full of spuds but the sack is just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

kwestfan08 wrote: »

"Ya pair of bolloci! "

I also believe this works for luas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.acc.umu.se/~samhain/summerofhate/courtcase.html
    Mortimer then said that he wished to call Professor James Kingsley to give evidence as to the meaning of the word bollocks. Mr. Richie objected to the witness being called. However, the chairman said ''let's get it over with'', and Kingsley was called. Kingsley told the court that he was the Reverend James Kingsley, professor of English studies at Nottingham University. He said he was a former Anglican priest and also a fellow of the Royal Academy. Under questioning from Mortimer he then went into discussing the derivation of the word bollocks. He said it was used in records from the year 1000 and in Anglo Saxon times it meant a small ball. The terms was also used to describe an orchid. He said that in the 1961 publication of Eric Partridge's Dictionary of Slang, he had not taken into account the use of the word bollocks in the Middle Ages. He said it appears in Medievel bibles and veterinary books. In the bible it was used to describe small things of an appropriate shape. He said that the word also appears in place names without stirring any sensual desires in the local communities. Mortimer said that this would be similar to a city being called Maidenhead which didn't seem to cause the locals in the vicinity any problems. Mr Kingsley said that Partridge in his books wrote that bollocks remained in colloquial use down through the centuries and was also used to denote a clergyman in the last century. ''The word has been used as a nickname for clergymen. Clergymen are known to talk a good deal of rubbish and so the word later developed the meaning of nonsense,'' he said. ''They became known for talking a great deal of bollocks, just as old balls or baloney also come to mean testicles, so it has twin uses in the dictionary''. (...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

cause he has two bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Because you're spelling it wrong, it's bollox not bollock or bollocks and then the plural is bolloxes imo.

Now! There's currently 3,613 pages of intellectual & amusing threads by AHr's. If each thread contains a maximum of 9,999 posts before the mods step in and create a Part II does that mean when the number of pages in AH exceeds 9,999 that we'll have an After Hours 2.0 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

kwestfan08 wrote: »

"Ya pair of bolloci! "

Thats my excuse to never eat brocolli sorted, I'm fearful of dyslexic chefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

bollox is singular and bollocks is the plural...one would assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I wonder, will Dr. Bollocko be along to tell us who is correct, and who is wrong, very wrong? :)

Advertisement