Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English question on poetry

• 02-05-2012 5:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey could someone help me with this question i have to have done by tomorrow?
    Its select one from these four poets (hopkins, shakespeare, rich and plath) and explain why you like the one you chose, what poems i liked and reason why.
    I'd appreciate some pointers on how to answer it and the introduction, ect.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Hmm work has to be done by tomorrow, only 1 post, English poetry... Methinks you have a long due homework assignment for tomorrow and you're trying to cram it by asking some peeps on boards to do it for you... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

plath is the best.

here's what i've learned off for opening:

"Sylvia Plath's poetry is beautiful, lyrical, haunting, tragic and compulsively engaging. Ordinary life is imbued with deep significance. The birth of a child in 'Morning Song' and in 'Child', is commented on in a strikingly unusual way. A simple black rook, a kitchen table, a box of bees, a mirror - all inspire insightful, introspective, at times cringe-inducing self-analysis. ADD ON MORE HERE YOURSELF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭inbrodericko

Hmm work has to be done by tomorrow, only 1 post, English poetry... Methinks you have a long due homework assignment for tomorrow and you're trying to cram it by asking some peeps on boards to do it for you... :D

Haha i have another account i just dont want it to be associated with this account

kitty9 wrote: »
    plath is the best.

"Sylvia Plath's poetry is beautiful, lyrical, haunting, tragic and compulsively engaging. Ordinary life is imbued with deep significance. The birth of a child in 'Morning Song' and in 'Child', is commented on in a strikingly unusual way. A simple black rook, a kitchen table, a box of bees, a mirror - all inspire insightful, introspective, at times cringe-inducing self-analysis. ADD ON MORE HERE YOURSELF

Hmm i was gonna pick shakespeare but your opening is way better ha, this was what ive written so far:

Shakespeare uses imagery to create mental images in the readers mind. In Sonnet 18 he utilizes imagery by describing, "rough winds do shake the darling buds of May". This line makes the reader visualize a stormy spring day with forceful winds beating against newly blossoming flowers.

Should i keep talking about imagery or what should i talk about next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Hmm i was gonna pick shakespeare but your opening is way better ha, this was what ive written so far:

Shakespeare uses imagery to create mental images in the readers mind. In Sonnet 18 he utilizes imagery by describing, "rough winds do shake the darling buds of May". This line makes the reader visualize a stormy spring day with forceful winds beating against newly blossoming flowers.

Should i keep talking about imagery or what should i talk about next?

do you not have any poetry notes at all?!?!

• Advertisement

i do, im gonna switch to plath cause your opening is very good, i just dont know the layout on how to answer the question. Like you start with an introduction( like yours) than you talk about imagery, but i dont know what you write about after that tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

i do, im gonna switch to plath cause your opening is very good, i just dont know the layout on how to answer the question. Like you start with an introduction( like yours) than you talk about imagery, but i dont know what you write about after that tho.
    I find its easier to analyze poems seperately in relation to the question instead of doin themes seperately. It can get a bit confusing if you go down the themes route imho!

I find its easier to analyze poems seperately in relation to the question instead of doin themes seperately. It can get a bit confusing if you go down the themes route imho!

K thanks, but how do i analyse it?

How many poems will i need to write about in the question? will two be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

If your looking for a simple layout you could follow this:
    Intro - general opening line, ref to Q, outline what you will talk about
    Body - 2 pars on each poem (diff aspect in each), 4 poems all together
    Conclusion - Ref to Q
    - General concluding phrase
    - Quote for impact

Since its a personal response q make sure to use personal phrasing like 'I liked', 'Impacted me' etc etc ..
    Also lots of quotes 20-25 total
    4ish pages
    Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

plath is the best.

Everyone uses that opening - Just saying. I have it aswell and a bunch of people at school have used it too. Let's hope we don't get the same corrector :D

Advertisement