Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Foundations - Slab ?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Looking at building a shed in the coming months and looking for advice on the foundations. Was going to use cavity blocks and its a single story with a sloped tiled roof.

Would 750 X 300 in foundations be sufficient? Shed size will be 5m X 4m

Would throwing in some mesh steel be worth while?

I have seen reference to a "slab" while searching for information. Any advantages of one over the other?

If going with the slab option how do you stop the dampness rising through it and what thickness of slab would be recommended?

I am sure I will have lots more questions but would prefer to get it right first time rather than having to fix a problem further down the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

I had a slab put down for my shed . 14ft by 14ft
    The slab acted as the floor in mine
    The perimeter was dug deeper, I think stone fill was laid in middle and then damp proof membrane ,trench was lined with steel reba., They put a steel mesh covering the whole area just to be sure.

After pouring concrete the membrane came up the outside of slab and breeze blocks were laid on top of it and then it was trimmed inside,
    This is probably not the correct way but this is just a workshop and it keeps the floor dry. in heavy prolonged rain dampness comes in through the blocks. though dries out quickly as well

Advertisement