Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about a letting agent

Options
  • 02-05-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for advice as to whether I have grounds for making a complaint about a letting agent. Basically the letting agent acted in my opinion very unprofessionally and gave me the run around for nearly three weeks. I lodged a deposit and was supposed to be moving in about 5 days later. But the tenant didn't move out when he was supposed to and the agent would not give me a date. My lease was ending so I had 3 weeks from when I lodged the deposit to move. The agent was ignoring my calls, never replied to a single text. He told me several times, "oh I'll know the story within 24 hours and I'll ring you", two or three days later I still wouldn't have heard anything back. So two and a half weeks after giving the deposit, and three days before I was supposed to be moving out, I finally got in contact and he said oh sorry, it won't be available until the end of may. So I told him I wanted my deposit lodged in my bank the next day because I would need it to secure a new place. Eventually two weeks later, after I rang and texted several more times, I got the deposit back yesterday. Thing is, besides being rude and unprofessional, I'm not sure if he did enough wrong for me to complain, or if this is just normal behaviour? Also I'm not sure who I would complain to, Threshold/ PRTB/ the letting agency themselves?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

I wouldnt recommend that you deal with any letting agent that is not a member of IPFMA, IAVI, SCSI or NPSRA. There are a lot of cowboys out there that I have come across and letting agents are not obliged to be members of these bodies but if they are, then they are bound by rules and regulations.

If the agent in question was a member of any of these bodies, I would suggest that you submit a written complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ciara22 wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend that you deal with any letting agent that is not a member of IPFMA, IAVI, SCSI or NPSRA. There are a lot of cowboys out there that I have come across and letting agents are not obliged to be members of these bodies but if they are, then they are bound by rules and regulations.

If the agent in question was a member of any of these bodies, I would suggest that you submit a written complaint.

Perfect! We have done this successfully in the past.

Advertisement