Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the most remote part of the island of Ireland?

• 02-05-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Where can you go that's really remote, nobody, nothing about? How far can you get from a town or village, or for that matter a paved road?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rockall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Lisburn

Craggy Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Looking to dumb a body huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id say there isnt anywhere in this country where you're more than an hour walk from someones house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Skellig Michael and the Blaskets (I think there is nothing on them, the tourist centre is on the mainland afaik)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

On the island? The Burren perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-reveals-irelands-fastest-growing-towns-and-counties-430278-Apr2012/

There's a graphic there which shows the population densities in Ireland. The white patches are fairly well remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Id say there isnt anywhere in this country where you're more than an hour walk from someones house.

Surely there are places in some of the mountain ranges where you would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The Black Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rod_long

siberia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

in the derryveagh/bluestack mountains in donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

On the island? The Burren perhaps?

Nah, there is houses everywhere here. The road from louisbourgh to leannane in Mayo is the most remote I have seen, miles and miles of no civilisation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-reveals-irelands-fastest-growing-towns-and-counties-430278-Apr2012/

There's a graphic there which shows the population densities in Ireland. The white patches are fairly well remote

Looks like there's a big uninhabited part up the North of the island :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

Degag wrote: »
    The Black Valley.

Last place in Ireland to get electricity! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was probable on more remote places in this country than anyone on Boards. :)

Work with the Irish Lighthouse Service during in the 80's

Was on the Maidens off Larne, Kish, Rockabill, Ratlin O Byrne, Skelligs, and a few others, some were right kips duting the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bangorerris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

retalivity wrote: »
    in the derryveagh/bluestack mountains in donegal

Well which one is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Feothanach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DB21 wrote: »
    Looks like there's a big uninhabited part up the North of the island :pac:

It's a bit of a grey area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,478 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

amdublin wrote: »
    Bangorerris

It gets much more remote than that around those parts.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Longford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

So in a thread asking what's the most remote part of the ISLAND of Ireland we have suggestions including; Rockhall, the blaskets and skellig michel. Great, just dandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'd have to say Clare Island, off the Mayo coast. On one day there I met every inhabitant and also every sheep on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Islandmagee in county Antrim is remote.

It truly is, well, beside the arse hole of nowhere.

To top it off, as if coming from a place called islandmagee isn't funny enough, the locals are known as 'bean eaters' :D

True story. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islandmagee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

So in a thread asking what's the most remote part of the ISLAND of Ireland we have suggestions including; Rockhall, the blaskets and skellig michel. Great, just dandy.

Island of Ireland implies north and south Ireland to me. Not the actual mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I'd have to say Clare Island, off the Mayo coast. On one day there I met every inhabitant and also every sheep on the place.

There are places like Inishtrahull that you can't even get to on a tourist boat like you can with Skellig Michael. I believe you are not even allowed to visit Little Skellig although with the stench of bird sh1t eminating from it I dunno who'd want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Island of Ireland implies north and south Ireland to me. Not the actual mainland.

I meant the mainland but sure what of it, I'm enjoying the thread. Rockall (other nations' claims notwithstanding) would be the strictly correct choice if we include all the islands of or claimed by Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Connamara, lovely place but quiet as fcuk imho!
    Went there back in 2006 with college as part of the field trip to Galway, could have been that almost everyone including myself was dying of a hangover or puking every 5mins from the session we all had the night before so my judgement may be clouded by that :o:rolleyes:

totally agree had to stay in Connemara for 2 weeks in January of this year with my college. nearly went crazy down there with the boredom. so remote all you can do is go to the pub every night. ****ing mad place for a big city boy like myself, the darkness, wind and big ****ing boulders in the fields never again.

went to inish orr one day, ****ing hell why would anyone want to live there its depressing and so boring. great place to go on the run if you were a fugitive or growing weed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

"What's the most remote part of the island of Ireland? [I have a few bodies to offload this week]"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Living 20 or so mins away from the Black Valley I drove in there the other. I was taken aback by how remote it felt. Proper bandit country :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

saa wrote: »
    "What's the most remote part of the island of Ireland? [I have a few bodies to offload this week]"

Inishshark off the coast of Galway is quite remote and is uninhabited. Bury them on the north side and make sure to lime the pit.

EDIT: Ooops thought you meant island off the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

galwayrush wrote: »
    Rockall.

Ownership disputed by four countries. Read up about it on wiki. :cool:
    Now why four countries are holding meetings (including Ireland in 2008) to dispute ownership of an uninhabitable 20m rock in the middle of the ocean is anyone's guess.

A solid way to waste government money and resources.
    wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Now why four countries are holding meetings (including Ireland in 2008) to dispute ownership of an uninhabitable 20m rock in the middle of the ocean is anyone's guess.

wtf.

In simple terms the fear that ownership of the rock was considered important to mineral rights in the seabed and fishing rights in the seas around it also of course good old fashioned national pride. Although haven't Ireland and the UK reached some sort of agreement now that basically it doesn't exist for the purposes of licensing mineral exploration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wtf.
    Fish and oil rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

near enough to clare island is a small island called Achillbeg. It has one resident for about 3 months a year, and a farmer who checks on his sheep occasionally. thats about it. beautiful place though, been there many times, but if its ever stormy, you're completely stranded until the storm passes, which isnt fun when i spent 2 weeks on the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ditzyfitzy wrote: »
    Degag wrote: »
    The Black Valley.
    Last place in Ireland to get electricity! :p
    It can hardly be that remote if it has electricity. You mean it is the most remote inhabited place (with electricity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Leinster House?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness the question is meaningless if you're not given a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    near enough to clare island is a small island called Achillbeg. It has one resident for about 3 months a year, and a farmer who checks on his sheep occasionally. thats about it. beautiful place though, been there many times, but if its ever stormy, you're completely stranded until the storm passes, which isnt fun when i spent 2 weeks on the island.

Feckin big shot city slickers up in Achill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Feckin big shot city slickers up in Achill!
    I spend more time in achill than I do in limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Rockall. Cornwall. Boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there are some parts of the wicklow mountains that are very remote. the devils glen in donegal (i think) is also very remote

ah answer: mary harneys drawers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rockall is claimed by Denmark, the UK, Ireland and Iceland :eek:

Let's go invade it and raise the flag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Not counting other islands around Ireland - most remote feeling places I've been are the islands on lough ree. No electricity, abandoned houses/castles and you need a boat to get there. I'm sure there are spots up the mountains too but there isn't really anywhere too far from an occupied house in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

the road between Churchill and Doochary in Donegal.. it doesn't get much more remote than this

http://bit.ly/KWgQtL

• Advertisement
Advertisement