Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA... and all of that palaver

Options
  • 02-05-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey,

Question: can anyone tell me what the interpretation of a first class honours degree and a 2:1 is? - what I mean by this is what's the difference (apart from the obvious score ranking) in terms of merit, employment potential and so on?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at graduating at this point with a GPA of around 3.5 / 3.6 in Arts (which I know is not the best of degrees in itself, but I'm using that to go on to post-grad level in a specific field I'm interested in). I really wanted to get a first but it looks like I'll only get to tickle its panties and then leave without the finale.... a bit disappointed to be honest, one or two iffy modules over the past two years served to water down my overall mark.

A second class honours just sounds like such a drop, kinda reminds me of second-class citizenship. Could they not have named it something a little more comforting... :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

If it's a post-grad you're looking to do, anyone with a high 2:1 will more than likely get in on it. Is it a HDip or MA, if you don't mind me asking?

In terms of employment.. I'd say your result in whatever postgrad you want to do would be more pertinent than any undergraduate grade - especially since you're presumably wanting to be working in whatever field your postgrad is in, while your undergrad would be more general fare, and, as you said, a means to an end in terms of using it to get into the postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Hey beardedmstr,

Thanks for the reply and insights. It's an MSc (conversion) that I'm hoping to do

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say Computer Science.
    In that case, if you do well in the MSc.. I doubt any employer will care to much about your undergrad degree (especially if it's a high 2:1) - if it's a Comp Sci based job that you want to do, it's the Comp Sci degree that they're gonna care about!

Besides, a high 2:1 isn't too shabby at all!

Advertisement