Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscription based xbox 360 for $99?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Just a rumor right now, but....

Microsoft is to launch an Xbox 360 and Kinect bundle priced at just $99, according to a report from The Verge.
    However, that low price will be offset by a monthly subscription fee of $15 to run for two years, which will include Xbox Live Gold membership and "possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers".
    That adds up to a total outlay of $459. The current Xbox 360 and Kinect bundle sells for around $299, while two years of Xbox Live Gold membership is around $120.
    According to The Verge's inside source, any customers who want out of the deal ahead of time will have to pay a termination fee.
    It's thought that Microsoft's thinking behind the offer is to better position its console as a competitor to Apple TV, Roku and PlayStation 3.
    We've approached Microsoft for comment - look out for an update soon.

Interesting idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Unless it's going to be like PS+ and give you free games, then meh. And who wants a Kinect anyway???

Can see it happening though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I read about this earlier and it just seems like a terrible deal for the consumer. From Microsofts end though it could be a nice little piece of market research looking to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Basically what they're doing it nothing else but the contracts you get with phones... where you get really cheap smartphones but are bound to a special contract for x years and after all you're not off cheaper than buying the phone at one and having a normal contract...
    I don't think it's a bad idea, it's just nothing I believe to be too special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I was hoping for a price cut of the 360 for E3(my one after 4+ years is beginning to weeze at this stage). Jesus what other announcements have MS got a music service & this? I know we are near the end of this gen but fúck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

clever idea really seeing that in 2 years time, we should be playing next-gen by then.

I notice over here in toronto that rogers, the biggest phone-internet-tv company over here are pushing free xbox+kinect with new expensive smartphone plans.

I get the feeling MS are just bleeding every last drop of market share out of the 360 now.

Considering that the power of the console and its ips have been exhausted almost fully, its probably a good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think this might really appeal to some people, people that go to bright house and the like, its cheaper in the short term, some people won't mind monthly payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I would have thought they would be thinking about releasing the next xbox, not a repackaged 360

Advertisement