Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what os to use not windows

Options
  • 02-05-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

hi

i have a pc im not using , i want to give it to a youth centre. it doesn't have an os on it and i want to put one on. now i have to put a legal os on it. i don't mind spending a little money ie under 50 euro but not the likes of windows money

any suggestions bearing in mind who will be using it

regards

jonny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Linux is the way forward...

try Ubuntu or Linux Mint maybe...

and it's free...

any reason you don't want Windows??
    EDIT - just seen you don't want to spend much money...

Linux is the only option really tbh unless someone lends you a Windows disk... if your a student or know a student you can get Windows 7 Here for €54.95 which may or may not be an option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

hi

i have a pc im not using , i want to give it to a youth centre. it doesn't have an os on it and i want to put one on. now i have to put a legal os on it. i don't mind spending a little money ie under 50 euro but not the likes of windows money

regards

jonny

If its an old computer there's no point putting Win7 on it as it would lag like hell.

I put Ubuntu 12.04 on the Family Computer and its running like a dream. It has a Pentium 4 processor at 2.4ghz and 512mb of RAM. It boots up in 10-20 seconds on an old IDE HDD.

And its free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Backtrack 5 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Linux is the way forward...

Linux is the only option really tbh unless someone lends you a Windows disk... if your a student or know a an get Windows 7 Here for €54.95 which may or may not be an option for you

When u buy this windows it says its an upgrade.so does that mean it uses files that are already on your pc and upgrades them or is it a clean install?or is the full version available to buy?hope I'm making my self clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hi

regards

jonny

How much ram has it? If it's less than 512MB then Ubuntu/Mint will be too heavy. Try Xubuntu, it's light and fully functional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

crazygeryy wrote: »
    When u buy this windows it says its an upgrade.so does that mean it uses files that are already on your pc and upgrades them or is it a clean install?or is the full version available to buy?hope I'm making my self clear.

There are simple workarounds so that you can use it as a clean install disk. There's loads of tutorials on youtube.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Backtrack 5 :cool:
    Backtrack 5 isn't particularly suitable for general desktop use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jonathan wrote: »
    Backtrack 5 isn't particularly suitable for general desktop use.

True enough, it looks (and operates) awesome though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

what os originally came with the pc? cant u just put that on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

what os originally came with the pc? cant u just put that on it?

He probably transfered the Windows license to another PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If its an older PC install CrunchBang on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »

There are simple workarounds so that you can use it as a clean install disk. There's loads of tutorials on youtube.
    if he does that, he's breaking the eula, and he needs the copy to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Ubuntu
    free
    fast
    virus-free (virtually)
    secure
    unlimited updates for life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

+1 on Ubuntu

Easy to install and very capable OS.
    Check out the features here;
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features