Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketplace PHP program wanted

Options
  • 02-05-2012 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all, I have looked through other posts but they dont seem to give me what i need;

I want to set up a market place type website where people can come buy stuff and sellers can put their stuff in the same manner as ebay. But I dont know where to source or buy such a program; I have found this one which seems to do the job but its 67 dollars and I dont know how reliable it is:

http://www.zeescripts.com/main/php-script/b2b-marketplace-php-script-alibaba-clone-open-source-codes.html

however I would rather source it from an irish or english company where they would be easier to deal with. Can anyone give me any suggestions or point me in the right direction. I have someone to design up the site and he says what I need needs to be customisable....thanks all

Bobby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Keep in mind that you're going to want to get this done properly & very much have trust in the coding that's getting done for you — if you're talking about any type of eCommerce platform that you're storing people's personal details, processing payments, etc.

Even if you're just using paypal directly between the vendor & buyer, presume you're going to be handling complaints, ticketing system, keeping track of transactions. Plus the Data Protection Act is going to apply, you have to make sure your protecting any personal details you're storing on people, esp sensitive information.

If you're going to outsource this work, I'd sooner look at some open-source platforms that are near what you need & try to keep the custom work to a minimum. That way, you'll benefit from any security updates that those communities develop for the software, plus you'll probably get a more accurate quote when looking for the custom work & someone isn't charging you to do it from scratch. If you have any issues with the developer, it's also a lot easier to bring someone else in if it's a common OS platform as opposed to a completely bespoke system.

Here's a list to take a look at: http://www.webappers.com/2010/07/09/15-best-free-open-source-ecommerce-platforms/. I've used osCommerce & didn't think it was great, have heard of Magento & that it's fairly decent (though have to say, my eCommerce knowledge is slim).

Another option to look at would be a white-labelled 3rd party software, something like Shopify is aimed at SMEs & seems intuitive.

(TLDR: Don't base your business on a $67 job from someone you don't trust)

Advertisement