Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheeler dealers last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was the post that terraclean posted themselves deleted? I thought it was ok to post your own details if there was interest already?

Terraclean, if you're reading, how many machines are in the mobile unit? I'm going to wait and hear a bit more feedback, but I may in time be interested in doing 4 vehicles. Would this be 4 hours, or would it be possible to do it quicker? Also, what do you guys do when the machine is working for the hour? Just an idea, but maybe you could offer a valet service while the machine works away for an extra few quid ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

cormie wrote: »
    Was the post that terraclean posted themselves deleted? I thought it was ok to post your own details if there was interest already?

Terraclean, if you're reading, how many machines are in the mobile unit? I'm going to wait and hear a bit more feedback, but I may in time be interested in doing 4 vehicles. Would this be 4 hours, or would it be possible to do it quicker? Also, what do you guys do when the machine is working for the hour? Just an idea, but maybe you could offer a valet service while the machine works away for an extra few quid ;)

I would say Terraclean got banned for shilling. It's not allowed unless they have what's called a verified account which is only right. If you look on here, even the verified accounts don't shill at all. Contact them through the facebook link I posted above ;)

While the machine is doing its work, you could maybe offer the chap a cup of tea or something for him driving all the way to ya :pac:

They got banned and everything? Seems the rules have changed from before so. I thought shilling was pretending to not be associated and pimping a service. Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Ah they can have a cup of herbal tea if they want, without milk :D Just thought they could upsell if the guys are going to be just waiting for the machine to finish for an hour. I'd say since the car owner is paying to improve their car, they could get a fair few people interested in a "valet" deal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanFurl

I wonder if there are any risks associated with getting the cleaning done. Have there been any bad experiences? Is this a foolproof service?

I don't know Alan but every car and engine are different. Some might have underlying problems that could surface after this service was performed and then the owner blames Terraclean even though it wasn't their fault at all.

On a car I had a few years ago, I did something similar myself with water and WD-40 and I never had any problems so I would say that as long as the service is carried out correctly, it will only be of benefit to you.

This is entirely my opinion though ;)

Yeah. I think I will give it a shot anyway. I'm not particularly happy with my car at the moment, so even if it only slightly improves fuel consumption and makes the engine a wee bit smoother, then why not!! :)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You could always try doing it yourself but then again this might be the result!

haha! However little I may know about cars, i think I'd know that water + engine = fail

:)

I sent the guys an email, so I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.

Good point MCM! I didn't mention that the car on which I did it was an RX8 and the method was similar to how dealers did it using seafoam. The rotor housings both have a maintenance nipple in order to do this but it would be very different on a piston engine and I would not recommend trying it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

@Hellboy; thanks for the review. Can you please PM me Eugenes number? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

@Hellboy, could you send it on to me as well.

Has anyone tried it out on a diesel car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Don't squirt WD40 down the throat of a diesel. Don't squirt anything that'll burn down the throat of a diesel.

It'll run out of control. It's like adding raw, unmetered fuel to the engine. As diesels throttle themselves solely controlling the amount of fuel being burned, so it's like going beyond the normal full throttle position and holding it there. It'll easily over-rev, probably smoke, and bend something inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Sorry MetzgerMeister got it done on my Mazda 6 1.8 petrol. She's 05 with 339,000km on the clock.

Drove from Limerick to Antrim, did a bit of driving around Belfast and back down yesterday.

I filled the tank in Limerick Tuesday night and filled it again in Kill yesterday afternoon. Trip told me 670km for 50l of petrol which by my maybe dodgy calculations is 37mpg. Having done this trip numerous times in the past, I would often be playing fueltank bingo coming into dublin, however the light wasn't even on when I got to Kill so it looks like there has been a marked improvement in economy.

She is due a service and Eugene mentioned that this should add to the economy. Hope to get this done next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

If there's carbon and muck in the cylinders and injectors etc how does it get out when they're cleaned?

mitosis wrote: »
    If there's carbon and muck in the cylinders and injectors etc how does it get out when they're cleaned?

The liquid in the cans is a combustible. When this is done on a car, the fuel pump fuse is taken out and the engine runs off the Terrclean liquid instead of petrol. This combined with the heat cleans all the gunk off the cylinders and injectors and it's all sent out the exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The liquid in the cans is a combustible. When this is done on a car, the fuel pump fuse is taken out and the engine runs off the Terrclean liquid instead of petrol. This combined with the heat cleans all the gunk off the cylinders and injectors and it's all sent out the exhaust.
    Would it shorten the life of seals and gaskets?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Would it shorten the life of seals and gaskets?

If petrol doesn't, I don't see how this stuff would but that's something I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Got mine done today - a diesel. Pleased that the engine seems to be running more smoothly and accelerates more progressively, with noticeably more poke at top-end rpm. Early days yet to fully assess effect on fuel economy but my MPG gauge needle didn't seem to dwell as long as usual in the 30mpg zone on variable inclines while in cruise control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Well I filled up for the first time tonight and I'm very happy with the results.

On my last fill I achieved 22.19 mpg, my average over 28,000km since June 2011 worked out at 23.67mpg and tonight I achieved 25.17mpg, still awful but going in the right direction. TBH I wasn't too careful with the foot during the week so I really wasn't expecting to see a increase.

My driving is 50/50 national/urban driving. The best I've ever seen on a trip is 30mpg and worst is 20mpg.

1996 3rd Gen Hilux Surf
    230,000km
    3.0 TD

roadtrip1.jpg

I've also included a copy of the decibel readings I took before the treatment last Friday, Monday and tonight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgrHhZcL5Vx4dEg1a1dQRTNwdVRiNm9fbk5CM2swOWc

The engine sounds alot smoother and hopefully it will only get better. I've owned the hilux about 10 years and it is in good shape, serviced every 5,000km and I've also been using diptane. It is still early days but I feel I will definitely get the terraclean service done again.

done again? How long do you reckon you could go before needing it again I wonder?

Seriously considering getting a few of the vans done now with the good feedback but still not convinced 100%.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    done again? How long do you reckon you could go before needing it again I wonder?

Seriously considering getting a few of the vans done now with the good feedback but still not convinced 100%.

Terraclean recommend once a year but I will probably look at it again in two or three years, hopefully using diptane it will keep it clean

My NCT is due in May so I guess that will tell a lot emissions wise

I'll post back 1 month after treatment with new figures, 1 week is probably too early..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It would be good if people put up type of car and price of their clean.

I got a quote for a petrol megane of 120 +vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone know if this treatment works on direct injection petrol engines like the BMW N53, N54 engines specifically.
    They have been known to get heavy carbon deposits on the intake valves due to the lack of petrol & lubricants washing over them.

ongarite wrote: »
    Anyone know if this treatment works on direct injection petrol engines like the BMW N53, N54 engines specifically.
    They have been known to get heavy carbon deposits on the intake valves due to the lack of petrol & lubricants washing over them.

I'll be getting my N54 done at some stage so will let you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Mine is getting done today. Will report back after a few days driving. 02 Mondeo diesel 178,000miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Mine is getting done today. Will report back after a few days driving. 02 Mondeo diesel 178,000miles...

Got mine done just there, Teraclean called to my work place. The engineer guy was very friendly - He set everything up then called me out to explain things to me about what he was doing.
    He also gave me a little run down of a few visual bits that i need to get addressed on my car which was very nice of him :) So far it's only finished but the car seems to have lost that "tractor sound" that it had, Sounds far far more refined on idle now. I was quite impressed with that alone!

I'll post a further update on tuesday as i have quite a lot of driving ahead of me over the next day :)

BTW Boars.ie members get a 10% discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Got mine done just there, Teraclean called to my work place. The engineer guy was very friendly - He set everything up then called me out to explain things to me about what he was doing.
    He also gave me a little run down of a few visual bits that i need to get addressed on my car which was very nice of him :) So far it's only finished but the car seems to have lost that "tractor sound" that it had, Sounds far far more refined on idle now. I was quite impressed with that alone!

I'll post a further update on tuesday as i have quite a lot of driving ahead of me over the next day :)

BTW Boars.ie members get a 10% discount!

Just as a matter of interest how much did it cost? Would like to get it done to my tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Got our '07 Galaxy 1.8tdci diesel terracleaned this morning.

The tech who called was sound. Showed & explained the process, also pointed out wee bits that may possibly require attention at some stage. Whch was cool as i have no engine knowledge.

Anyways after it was all completed took of for a spin down the carriageway, difference from when the key was turned in engine noise! headed out & noticed a definate better response in acceleration + no puff of smoke.

Total cost + 136:20e.

(will give an update in 7-10 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ordinaryfella

Seems a lot of glowing reviews. Might look into this myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Getting mine done as we speak! E60 530D. Will update thread with a review later in the week when i have a better opinion

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    Getting mine done as we speak! E60 530D. Will update thread with a review later in the week when i have a better opinion

Ok, so got mine done on Monday. Took about 2 hours or so.

Definately had a noticeable affect on throttle response, that night driving home i kept lighting up the rear tyres by accident, took me a while to get used to it.

Other thing that is definately obvious is when you start it up from cold (morning etc) its definately less chattery and a lot less smokey.

As for fuel economy goes, i havent gone on any long runs yet where I can compare mpg against what i used to get so ill have to wait and see in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Interesting. Looking at a few E46 Coupes at the minute, think this would be one of the first bits of preventative maintenance I would go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hellboy, can you PM Eugenes number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cheers Hellboy. I found the number on Gumtree and i'm booked for Thursday morning. FTO (2 litre) costing €155 including VAT with my boardsie discount of 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

goz83 wrote: »
    Cheers Hellboy. I found the number on Gumtree and i'm booked for Thursday morning. FTO (2 litre) costing €155 including VAT with my boardsie discount of 10%

nice, they can use yours as a guinnepig before they touch mine:p

goz83 wrote: »

Terraclean prices seem to change with the weather.....

They quoted me 140 EUR + vat @ 13.5% = 158.90 EUR when I got the treatment done on my toyota 3.0 TD (pre boardsie deal)

I don't think your getting the 10% discount with that price

I don't think they're doing the 10% Boards discount anymore, they got sitebanned for advertising and then said in the Prison forum that they withdrew the offer.

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't think they're doing the 10% Boards discount anymore, they got sitebanned for advertising and then said in the Prison forum that they withdrew the offer.

It's a pity because they did exactly as they said in that thread whereby they were not advertising per sé but they only replied to threads that were relevant to them.

With that said though, boards have their rules for a reason.

kuro2k wrote: »

They quoted me 140 EUR + vat @ 13.5% = 158.90 EUR when I got the treatment done on my toyota 3.0 TD (pre boardsie deal)

It also changes with the type of fuel and size of engine.

They use different machines for petrol and diesel and a 1 litre car will be cheaper than a 3 litre car as its a bigger engine so requires more cleaning and therefore more cleaning agent.

Also, just an FYI, on their facebook page they say they are doing a pre christmas offer of a free "jamie at home" gift with every order. I have no idea what that is though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

They use different machines for petrol and diesel and a 1 litre car will be cheaper than a 3 litre car as its a bigger engine so requires more cleaning and therefore more cleaning agent.

Also, just an FYI, on their facebook page they say they are doing a pre christmas offer of a free "jamie at home" gift with every order. I have no idea what that is though!

Maybe Jamie Oliver's the lad behind the Terraclean....:D

Well when I got the service done (October 19th) anything 2 litre and above was 140 EUR + VAT, It didn't matter if it was petrol or diesel

Just bought myself a 2.0 E46 M-Sport Coupé. Think I'll give this terraclean lark a go, anyone have experience of it with petrol BMW's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

To the guys that have had this Terraclean system done in the past few weeks/ months, whats the verdict?
    Was your initial thoughts a bit of a placebo effect, or have you experienced genuine mpg improvement and power restoration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kuro2k wrote: »

How did you find it after? I picked myself up a 3.0 Landcruiser last week. Would be interested in giving this a go if reports are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

pa990 wrote: »
    To the guys that have had this Terraclean system done in the past few weeks/ months, whats the verdict?
    Was your initial thoughts a bit of a placebo effect, or have you experienced genuine mpg improvement and power restoration?

Ive asked them to do the following:

Mazda CX7 2.3 Turbo
    BMW 535d 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel
    Mercedes 560SEC 5.6litre
    BMW 850CSi 5.6litre

Sadly having difficulty syncing up cars, family members and Terraclean guy. But its a great spread of engine types, fuels and generations and will update from all 4 cars when I get it done (couple of weeks). Im most interested in the older cars and the CX7, which being an FSI type modern engine is prone to gunking up.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive asked them to do the following:

Mazda CX7 2.3 Turbo
    BMW 535d 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel
    Mercedes 560SEC 5.6litre
    BMW 850CSi 5.6litre

Sadly having difficulty syncing up cars, family members and Terraclean guy. But its a great spread of engine types, fuels and generations and will update from all 4 cars when I get it done (couple of weeks). Im most interested in the older cars and the CX7, which being an FSI type modern engine is prone to gunking up.

Any updates on any of these? Still considering it and would like to hear the feedback. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting thread..

Anyone had it done on one of the pre-CR 2.0 TDI VAG engines yet? How did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Could be a useful procedure for a Saab anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Any updates on any of these? Still considering it and would like to hear the feedback. Cheers!

+1

pa990 wrote: »

Three months ago I got the clean done on my '00 Yaris, after getting it done these were the results I noticed straight away;
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Straight away I noticed the difference after it was done, before this I had an erratic idle issue, that's gone and idle is now stable. The engine itself is now quieter, acceleration is more responsive, car has more power (this is especially noticeable in 5th gear).

Three months on and still going strong, best thing I ever decided to have done to my car, still experiencing the same results as the day it was done and getting a few more MPG :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement