Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shipping (unusual items) to perth

Options
  • 02-05-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

i have 3 tv's, a few laptops, and playstation things like that, that iam thinking of getting shipped to perth, wife also wants to throw in cutlery and delph, bed linen, towels and any remaining clothes that we couldn't bring in our suitcases. what is the best and cheapest way of shipping these. don't want to hire a container as we would only want about 1/4 of it.
    also has anyone ever sent their guns to australia?
    i have 2 rifles ( a .22magnum and a .270), a shotgun, ammunition, and a gunsafe that i would like to bring with me aswell. has anyone ever done this before? i presume hunting is allowed out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i have 3 tv's, a few laptops, and playstation things like that, that iam thinking of getting shipped to perth, wife also wants to throw in cutlery and delph, bed linen, towels and any remaining clothes that we couldn't bring in our suitcases. what is the best and cheapest way of shipping these. don't want to hire a container as we would only want about 1/4 of it.
    i have 2 rifles ( a .22magnum and a .270), a shotgun, ammunition, and a gunsafe that i would like to bring with me aswell. has anyone ever done this before? i presume hunting is allowed out there?

If you ask the company's you should find they do part containers. So you'll be able to fill a 1/4 of one and pay a 1/4 for one.

Oh and with the guns I'm sure you'd need a liscence ect before you get there or you won't be able to pick them up.from customs, who will then charge you for storing them.

They'll also be classed as hazardous goods. Which is a whole other kettle of fish when it comes to shipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

sponge_bob wrote: »

No, but a friend of mine shipped his firearms back to NZ with him when he was going home, he said afterwards he could have sold them here (in Ireland) and upgraded everything when he got home.

You will have to organise a firearms license before or get a permission to import from the Western Australian Police. There are firearm restrictions in place in Australia regarding semi-autos, pump actions, leaver actions and silencers/moderators, so if your .22 or your shot gun is any of these it will really cost you double to export them back out, your .270 will be a bolt action so if it has a Mod leave it here.

If it were me i would sell everything here save yourself a lot of hassle and buy new over there, hunting over in Oz is brilliant, dont bother much with the native stuff (a good few are protected for a reason) but thanks to the early Eurofools trying to turn Australia into Europe and releasing non native animals, you can shoot anything from all the Deers species down to the humble Rabbit, getting permission to shoots is easy, just knock on the door and before you know it you will be shooting on a property bigger than Co Clare, gun clubs have a healthy dose of wannabes but can also be a good source of land to hunt on if you speak to the decent sort of blokes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Wild pig is good sport if you can find them, also make sure your Gun safe is up to Australian Specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

For that beast definitely not the .22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

so i can hire 1/4 a container? has anyone done this before and what is the procedure and cost?

i got a quote from natross to for 250cubic feet of space all stuff being collected at my door and dropped to my door in perth €1450+vat, +$200 quarantine and customs inspection, +1.5% insurance based on my evaluation of the goods:eek:, wonder if they would payout "my estimate" if the goods got lost or destroyed:D
    how does this quote sound to people.?

and the general concensous seems to be to leave/sell my guns here and buy new over.

you dont necessarily need to buy new either at the moment for anything with all the Bogans downsizing their toy collections a site i used to keep an eye on was www.usedguns.com.au a good few dealers use the site but you see all the time blokes who have spent up big on top line gear and sell it at half price after putting a few boxes down them, a term you will get used to over there is CUB's which means Cashed Up Bogans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

[QUOTE=sponge_bob;78469829i have 2 rifles ( a .22magnum and a .270), a shotgun, ammunition, and a gunsafe that i would like to bring with me aswell. has anyone ever done this before? i presume hunting is allowed out there?[/QUOTE]

Strangely you have excatly the same firearms as me and I am in the same boat, I had a similar thread in the hunting section, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615901 the riflies apparently will be rifled the wrong way for the southern hemisphere, the shotgun would be sound, but you will have to leave them with an RFD here, go to Oz, apply for a firearms licence, join a gun club and then when the licence is approved import them. The advice I got was to sell up and buy new guns over then, none of mine a worth a huge ammount so its will not be worth the hassle!! I will also be renting for a good while (until the bubble bursts!!) so I will have to see how the landlords are about keeping firearms too!!

No6 wrote: »
    the riflies apparently will be rifled the wrong way for the southern hemisphere!

Without looking at the link to the hunting forum i think they might be pulling your leg, that or someone over there is pulling their inner leg.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

No6 wrote: »
    Strangely you have excatly the same firearms as me and I am in the same boat, I had a similar thread in the hunting section, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615901 the riflies apparently will be rifled the wrong way for the southern hemisphere, the shotgun would be sound, but you will have to leave them with an RFD here, go to Oz, apply for a firearms licence, join a gun club and then when the licence is approved import them. The advice I got was to sell up and buy new guns over then, none of mine a worth a huge ammount so its will not be worth the hassle!! I will also be renting for a good while (until the bubble bursts!!) so I will have to see how the landlords are about keeping firearms too!!

bit like the water in the sink, i can see how it would make no difference to the shotgun as its easy to get the alernate barrel to fire first in the southern hemisphere:D.

think i will sell the lot tbh, seems to be alot of hassle bringing them with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The Aussie wrote: »
    Without looking at the link to the hunting forum i think they might be pulling your leg, that or someone over there is pulling their inner leg.:pac:
    Its a strong possibility!! but if its true what then, I am a bad enough shot as it is!!! :D

Advertisement