Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Window, removing Alarm contacts.....

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi folks,

Apologies if this query as been asked before, but i don't see it.

Im getting my landing window replaced soon. It has contact type "things" on the opening and the system is a wired system.

My thinking is.......1. Turn off the mains electric.

2. Take out the alarm back-up battery aswell.
    3. Remove the contacts and leave existing window free of everything.
    4. New Window gets fitted
    5. I come back and stick back the alarm fittings as before in a similar position (kinda similar, the opening will be portrait rather than landscape)
    6. Put alarm battery back into its box, turn mains on and bobs your uncle.

It probably sounds simplistic and maybe it is but when its not your area of expertise you tend to second guess yourself!!

Any advice or does it sound reasonable???

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No need to remove the mains power & battery.
    If the unit is tampered, the alarm will activate when you open/remove the contact. Your code will disarm the alarm. A good idea would be to take a photo of the connections before you remove it. It will save any confusion when rewiring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

KoolKid wrote: »
    No need to remove the mains power & battery.
    If the unit is tampered, the alarm will activate when you open/remove the contact. Your code will disarm the alarm. A good idea would be to take a photo of the connections before you remove it. It will save any confusion when rewiring it.

Thanks Koolkid.

Just putting the contacts and vibration (?) box back on. Ive wired it up exactly as before but just tapped the contacts together to "fool" the alarm into thinking its back to normal. However, when i try to set the alarm at the panel im getting "open zones" and "cabinet tamper". Is this normal? Am i missing a step somewhere i wonder?? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you open the panel its self?
    If not its a connection problem on the tamper loop.

Did you open the panel its self?
    If not its a connection problem on the tamper loop.

I didnt go near the panel, just the items on the window itself. I rewired them the way they were previously too. The black wires were a tight fit but seem to be fine, but maybe not....

Were there blue & yellow connections also?
    Are all the lids on tightly?

• Advertisement

Were there blue & yellow connections also?
    Are all the lids on tightly?

Koolkid.......you are an absolute legend! Id left the lid off in my foolish attempt not to do too much work in case i had to take it apart again. Didnt realise that the lid would have such an effect!!
    Screwed cover back on and its working fine again, thanks a million i really appreciate the help!!! Brilliant!!

No bother,
    Glad you got sorted.

Advertisement