Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build wont start HELP!

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just finished a new build
    P8Z68 v gen 3 asus mobo
    I7 3770k
    Ocz 120gb ssd
    16gb x corsair vengeance 1600 ram
    Thermal take 750 smart psu modular

OK. So everything connected and I am getting power to all 5 fans in the tower. Can here the cd in the drive spin and stop.
    then everything shuts down and starts again. Removed all but 4gb ram. Still the same thing. The cokmouter keeps starting and stopping on it,s own.
    2 seconds on 3 seconds off. And just keeps repeating.
    once or twice it stayed running but nothing on the screen.
    I've reset the cmos and I am now stuck.
    there is no graphics card installed as I am running on the on board graphics until I get it started.

Help!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Make sure the cpu heatsink is fitted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Sup08 wrote: »
    Just finished a new build
    P8Z68 v gen 3 asus mobo
    I7 3770k
    Ocz 120gb ssd
    16gb x corsair vengeance 1600 ram
    Thermal take 750 smart psu modular

OK. So everything connected and I am getting power to all 5 fans in the tower. Can here the cd in the drive spin and stop.
    then everything shuts down and starts again. Removed all but 4gb ram. Still the same thing. The cokmouter keeps starting and stopping on it,s own.
    2 seconds on 3 seconds off. And just keeps repeating.
    once or twice it stayed running but nothing on the screen.
    I've reset the cmos and I am now stuck.
    there is no graphics card installed as I am running on the on board graphics until I get it started.

Help!!!!!!
    Unplug the DVD drive (as said by TeaBag a few days ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Done both. Took off the heatsink, cleaned a re applied the paste and unpkugged the dvd. Nothing. Still the same

Its a brand new build. There is nothing showing on screen and it just keeps starting and stopping and restarting over and over very few seconds

So I've removed all the power cables to all other hardware and all that gets power is the MOBO. The fan spins on the cpu and the led comes on, then the ram led comes on and off back to the cpu led and once more the ram. Then the machine switches off.
    all usb, audio and extra fans are disconnected.
    This is the ram, would this be the issue?
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ddr3_modules/20079416/corsair_vengeance_16_gb_1600_mhz_pc3_12800/details.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Sup08 wrote: »
    So I've removed all the power cables to all other hardware and all that gets power is the MOBO. The fan spins on the cpu and the led comes on, then the ram led comes on and off back to the cpu led and once more the ram. Then the machine switches off.
    all usb, audio and extra fans are disconnected.
    This is the ram, would this be the issue?
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ddr3_modules/20079416/corsair_vengeance_16_gb_1600_mhz_pc3_12800/details.aspx
    by mobo only, do you mean motherboard 24pin and CPU 8pin?

is the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header, or a chassis fan header?

you want 24pin, CPU 8pin, one stick of RAM in slot A1, and a single HDD in SATA1 or 2 (IE not Marvel add on)

do you have the tiny speaker plugged in that comes with the board, and is it giving any beeps?

No speaker with the mobo and both 24 and 8 pin connectors are plugged in. The CPU fan is connected to a cpu fan header.
    if I take out all the ram the cpu fan stays running and power stay on. Can't hear any error codes as I have no speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what part of the country are you in?

do you have any other PCs you could borrow that speaker from?

do you have any other ddr3 RAM? attempt each stick in the A1 slot. if no go, repeat in B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Is there any chance you have a short at the back of the motherboard? Did the stand offs come pre-installed with the case or did you fit them?

Did you try an external build before you put it in the case?

• Advertisement

Im in Balbriggan Dublin. I installed all the standoffs, the mobo sits directly on these or should there be any thing between them and the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

My advice would be to walk away and sleep on it. Come back tomorrow fresh and then figure out were things went wrong. It might turn out to be something very simple.

No ram all power stays on. No display. Red led for ram stays on.
    when I connect any ram it does not start. No bios setup yet

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what part of the country are you in?

do you have any other PCs you could borrow that speaker from?

do you have any other ddr3 RAM? attempt each stick in the A1 slot. if no go, repeat in B1.

Done the ram and I will try and get a speaker tomorrow.

everything is connected and she purrs like a kitten with no ram, as soon as ram is added, i get the problem.

My advice would be to walk away and sleep on it. Come back tomorrow fresh and then figure out were things went wrong. It might turn out to be something very simple.
    good idea. Thanks all and all comments are much appreciated. Will catch up tomorrow.
    nite

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Maybe I stupid question as I haven't researched, but I know from experience with other mobos.
    Does yours need a BIOS update to accommodate the new ivy-bridge cpu's?

superneat wrote: »
    Maybe I stupid question as I haven't researched, but I know from experience with other mobos.

Been doing a bit of research on your suggestion and yes, the MOBO needs an update. Thank you
    Now all I need is someone with a CPU for socket LGA1155 that can help me update the BIOS? Can anyone in Dublin/Louth?

Looking for any sandy bridge cpu, G440, G560, G620
    or any in the Asus list just to update the BIOS. List Here
    Would be of great help.
    Thanks.

OK, can't get my hands on a Sandy Bridge CPU so i had to buy one and it won't be delivered until Tuesday/Wednesday. Thanks for all the help and I will update the result next week.

Who did you get the MB from?

• Advertisement

I bought it from Komplett with the intention of putting an i7 2600k in, but changed my mind to go with the Ivy Bridge instead and returned the 2600k under cooling off.
    Didn't realise the board needed to be updated to support Ivy Bridge, checked with most of the PC stores around to see if I could borrow a CPU to update and none of them had a SB of any type. All my friends don't have any either.

Did you get a hold of Komplett to see if they could do anything for you? You have a 14 day return policy. I'd go over to their forum and ask them.

I don't want to return the MB unless it's an RMA as this is the MB I want, so when I trouble shoot the whole thing on Tuesday, I'l' contact them if I have no luck and return the board.

Seeing that you just bought it from them, there's no harm in asking if they could help you out with a BIOS update. The worst they could say is no.

superneat wrote: »

Correct. Worked like a charm, well after a lot of work.
    Bought a G440 and updated the Bios and then put the 3770K in and bingo.

All is good.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Advertisement