Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive test! Help, whats next?!

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just did home pregnancy test and got two very strong lines, we are both so delighted we have been trying for what seems like forever now, so fingers crossed all will go ok for us! However as it's our first time I have few questions and obviously can't ask friends / family yet so hopefully some of ye might be able to help.

It's still very very early days obviously (today is five weeks since the first day of my last period). What's next, is it too early to go to GP? I'm a bit afraid it might be a false positive so will test again tomorrow but wondering if I should make appointment too for GP, and if so will they do blood test to re-confirm, or will they just think I'm nuts if I ring so soon and should leave it for another week or longer?

Also how early do we have to decide on public versus or pick a consultant or any of that stuff? And when would first scan be, hoping everything goes ok, is it still about 12 weeks or a bit later? Might go for early scan if so if thats possible (neither of us are very patient!!!) are early scans worthwhile or not enough to see, and how early can they be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Congratulations!! Welcome to the club.

In case you're wondering who on earth replies at this time I'm feeding my 6 week old at 5 am so it's all ahead of you!!

Call the gp tomorrow. They will re-test you and take some basics. Blood pressure, weight etc.

There are early scans available. I had 2 done - one in mount Carmel, other in ultrasound dimensions Blackrock. Would highly recommend both. About €100 and available from 8 weeks. I got both of mine done at 10 weeks.

Unfortunately with the current baby boom you do need to sart thinking about the care you want and which hos. I had both of mine public in Holles st and the care was amazing. I attended dr Michael foley's clinic on a Monday for both pregnancies and saw him at each visit bar 1. Sis recently went semi private in Holles and the only difference we could see was that she had access to a tv and her ward had a nicer 'clientele'!! Semi private costs about €1000 after vhi. Private costs between €3k - €4k after vhi and claiming back through tax and If money isn't an option i'd go for this - however my sisters have had (most!) of their babies in mount Carmel and my best friend went private in Holles st and to be honest there is absolutely no difference in the medicanal care we all received but there is no doubt that post - natal you'd be far more comfortable in a private room with an ensuite. However i quite enjoyed the public ward chatting to the other new mums and they're constantly busy with midwives! One of my sisters complained about the lack of attention in mount Carmel because it took ages for a midwife to come because you can't just grab them like you can in a public ward!!

Once you choose you choice of care you can't change. So it's not possible to go through the public system yet just pay for a private bed at the end so be careful of that.

Best of luck! Congrats.

Feel free to ask away if you've any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi... Congrats! :)

Just regarding hospitals, the domino midwife scheme is another option if you are in their catchment area. if you are considered low risk then you can go under their care (which is a free service). Your appointments take place in satellite clinics (with no queues!) and they are a little more open with regard birthing choices. The service is also more personal (which what sold me), and you'll likely meet the midwife who will attend your birth during the course of your pregnancy .. they are a team of 14. They have had fab reviews, and work through the big maternity hospitals (i'm going with the Domino scheme through Holles st!)

Your first scan will depend on your hospital, for example they don't do scans in Holles st before the 20 week scan - so we got a private one in Mt. Carmel at 8 and 14 weeks. Highly recommend :)

Anyway, there is no need to panic just now re. doctor, leave it a week and just enjoy the feeling. There is no way with 2 solid lines that you are NOT pregnant! I was around 6 weeks before I went to the doctor ....

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Firstly, congratulations, exciting times ahead.

To add to what the others have said, if you live in Dublin or Cork/Kerry you could also consider a Home Birth, through the HSE's Home Birth Scheme. The Homebirth Association of Ireland website has all the information and a list of all the self employed community midwives in the country.

Antenatal and postnatal care takes place in your own home with one dedicated midwife who provides your care throughout (there are a number to chose from so you can find one that suits you) and, provided the pregnancy goes normally, birth would also take place at home. You also register with a hospital so any scans etc could take place there and if there are any difficulties, as with the domino scheme, you would then be transferred to consultant-led care.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

All good advice above but just to add from what I've read with both the domino & home birth options you have to be quick off the mark to get on to them so the sooner the better :)

Congratulations & get yourself off to your doc to start the ball rolling!

We went private as we knew the consultant we picked is lovely (he just exudes calm), we see him everytime, get scans everytime & in our circumstances we don't have to explain our relationship everytime which is obviously very important to us :)

In saying that when it comes to delivery my care will be as for any woman - its only a might that I get a private room (as i will be in a public hospital rather than the likes of mount carmel) but I know that my consultant (or someone he has selected to cover him) will be called when I go in.

Your doctor should be able to talk through some options with you if you have questions & the people on here are great for help & support :)

Congratulations again & enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I went to the dr at 5 weeks and i wasnt tested. apparently the digital ones you can buy in the chemist are far more accurate that the ones in the doctors office. So, just be aware that your doctor might not test you, unless you ask. You should still make an appointment to go to your doctor though, as they will get the ball rolling with the hospital etc and they will take a urine sample and blood pressure etc.
    you should get your appointment for your first scan at about 12 weeks. but as others have said, there is an option to get an early scan done privately.

Congrats! and i hope it all goes well for ye. X

• Advertisement

When you get your first scan really does depend on which hospital you are attending, as was already said, the NMH will not provide you with an early/dating scan, only an anomaly scan at 20+ weeks.

It is a good idea to decide what type of maternity care you would like before you visit your doctor, and research the hospitals a bit. Your doctor may be able to give you some advice on this too. But it is important not to make a rushed decision.

The hospitals all have different policies re active management of labour etc. and it is important that you find one that will be a good fit (e.g., if you would prefer not to be induced without a really good reason you should give the NMH a miss, but if you want your labour managed and your priority is to get the baby out as soon as possible then they might be just what you want).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Big congrats! Exciting times ahead.

I went to GP for 1st visit at 5 weeks. I'm having a home birth with an independent midwife but I'm also registered with Rotunda so can get scans there (they seem to do 12 wk & 20-22 wk), bloods & in case I need to transfer to hospital or see a consultant if any complications come up.

If you are up for a home birth, expect to pay up to a grand out of your own pocket. And you should call around NOW as they get booked up very fast. I had trouble booking one even at 6 weeks.

It's fantastic having the midwife come to your home for your check ups. And you have the option to labour/birth in a birthing pool if that is up your alley.

If you are going with just hospital, I have to say that I have found the Rotunda staff incredibly nice!! You'll hear bad stories & good stories about every single hospital though!

Join up with whatever thread corresponds with the month you are due (or start one if it's not started yet). You'll find it invaluable!

Mink wrote: »
    If you are up for a home birth, expect to pay up to a grand out of your own pocket.

Just on this... if you have VHI, BUPA, Quinn or similar private health insurance you will probably find that they provide coverage for a home birth. My basic VHI Policy provides up to €3k coverage for a homebirth... so even if my midwife asked for a payment in addition to their fees from the HSE (not all do) it wouldn't cost us any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

The hospital selection will only come up if you have hospitals to choose from :) if you are living outside the general Dublin area you really just have the nearest maternity to you.

Each hospital seems to have its own scan schedule (Galway don't scan until 20 weeks in general while limerick scan at 12ish weeks) but if you are at a hospital that has a longer scan schedule you can go for private scans as others have mentioned.

You asked if early scans show much. I had my first scan at 7+3 and no there is not much to see as such but we heard the heartbeat (not always possible), they can tell if the implantation location is good & that all is looking as it should be :) we also saw the tiniest little flickering on screen which was the heartbeat & they can take measurements to check the dating :) all in all it's very reassuring! There is no real need to go that early (it was part of our clinics policy) under standard circumstances but personally if I wasn't getting a scan until 20 weeks I would def get a private scan done earlier just to see my baby develop...the diff between 12 & 20 weeks is huge as is the diff between 20 & 26 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Some hospitals don't do the Anomaly scan at 20 weeks. (i.e my hospital CUMH)Which is a really important scan. So, i got it done privately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement