Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amaranthe - death metal pop

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Just discovered this band and I have to say, for me they are really something different. They're a power/melodic death metal band that have a distinctively poppy/dance sound that reminds me of Glee or maybe early 00's Britney/NSync. I know right? Watch the video and take in the fantastic cheesiness without shame.

Besides the overall gimmick I actually find them to be very tight musicians and they are fantastic live. The music is fresh and catchy. Not for the die-hard metal fan for sure, but definitely one to watch out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

She is hot......... That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This was interesting to listen to...I'm not a metal elitist/purist at all so my criticism isn't based on that perspective, but this song just seems to demonstrate how formulaic and meh pop music is. Even if you use it in a death metal context it still sounds sh1t. It's literally a formula, it could be any song, you just need to write songs with those chord/melodic progressions and you've got a somehow "marketable" song. And the thing that really gets to me is that those interchangeable generic melodies/chord progressions aren't even that good. They don't evoke any emotions of happiness/elation or sadness or anger or whatever, they're just neutral/modal. And yet apparently the mass market likes emotionally neutral boring songs about nothing in particular which might as well be in the background. And why?! is the question I ask. Because in the past pop music had some songs that actually got a response of elation/pleasure from my ears but now it's just this neutral crap that proliferates. The rock/metal equivalent is a standard Iron Maiden song. Give me Gojira over this any day. Gojira makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, that's the kind of impact a song should make.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

What I like about this band is that they're not pretending to be anything other than what they are. They're a light form of entertainment, you are completely right about that, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just takes a different mindset/mood to enjoy music like this, and on that level I think it works and fair dues to them. As a big fan of metal and pop I think they've created a good fusion that works in a way I haven't heard before.

However, if you go into listening to Amaranthe with the intention of comparing them to thought-provoking bands like Gojira you're already taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If you want something that is a bit heavier with a pop/dance vibe you could do worse than listen to these crazy Germans.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What I like about this band is that they're not pretending to be anything other than what they are. They're a light form of entertainment, you are completely right about that, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just takes a different mindset/mood to enjoy music like this, and on that level I think it works and fair dues to them. As a big fan of metal and pop I think they've created a good fusion that works in a way I haven't heard before.

However, if you go into listening to Amaranthe with the intention of comparing them to thought-provoking bands like Gojira you're already taking it too seriously.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I listen to Back in Black by AC/DC after having not listened to it for a long time I'll feel kick ass, it's a song that invites you to feel that way, it doesn't have that much depth or anything to it, but it provokes a response. The problem with modern pop and how it's being used by this band is that the melodies and chord progressions just sound in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying but it's a subjective thing. I can appreciate AC/DC but if I want light energy-drink music, this is the kind of stuff that gets me. It's more straightforward and aggressive. That's what I look for. Others like yourself might look for something more groovy, I don't know but I guess that's how I'd explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Dear god.

Whatever you're into I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

frag420 wrote: »
    She is hot......... That's all.

Exceedingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

That was AWESOME. Pure musical sugar rush!

Check out their latest album - f**king brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's Evanescence with double bass drums and keyboardy bits. The "death metal" tag is completely unwarranted IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Thanks OP, I'm loving this band. Swedish pop and Swedish metal together at last. Like a supergroup of Alphabeat and Bring Me The Horizon. Drop Dead Cynical is a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

If they played the Academy, I'd be there.

Happy bouncy fluff :)

And yes, yes she is hot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Double post - woops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is why I love the Eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Cormac... wrote: »
    This is why I love the Eurovision

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds like it's straight off the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds like it's straight off the Eurovision.

We both listen to the Eurovision :o

Advertisement