Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passing by compensation?

• 02-05-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all!

Could somebody tell me how you pass an exam by compensation? Like do you have to get over a certain mark in all of your other exams?

Also are you only allowed to pass one exam by compensation?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Depends on your department/school/course. Mine doesn't allow it at all. Some modules in the book of modules specify that pass by compensation is or isn't allowed, but I'd reckon your best bet would be to ask either the exams office, staff in your department or someone a year or two ahead of you in your course. Sorry to not be more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fifitricks

Depends on the course but I know you can only pass 5 credit modules by compensation and theyre slow to give the compensation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Apparently you can't pass by compensation in Arts but the one in the office never got back to me.
    To pass Second Year and progress to Third Year a candidate must:
    (i) obtain an aggregate mark of at least 480/1200 across all modules to the
    value of 50 credits
    (ii) pass modules to the value of at least 50 credits. Students taking 10 or 15
    credit modules should note that these module(s) must be passed.
    Gaeilge/Irish: In order to pass the year, students must pass GA2001.
    French: In order to pass the year, students must pass FR2101.
    German: In order to pass the year, students must pass GE2101.
    Italian: In order to pass the year, students must pass IT2101.
    Spanish: In order to pass the year, students must pass HS2101 or HS2102.
    (iii) obtain a mark of not less than 30% in any remaining module(s).

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/2012CACSSS.pdf
    http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/

This is what it says for 2nd year Arts. So from my understanding if you have an overall passing average of 40% but receive a failing grade of over 30% in either two 5 credit modules or one 10 credit module you can progress onto the next year. I emailed the office again to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

fifitricks wrote: »
    Depends on the course but I know you can only pass 5 credit modules by compensation and theyre slow to give the compensation :(

Not true about the 5 credit :) (not in all cases anyway)

Last year in my final year, I failed a 10 credit module (elective, not compulsory) and got 30% overall but they passed me by compensation, without me even having to ask. I got a few decent grades in other modules and a few average grades but nothing amazing. I think they just took pity on me. My overall grade was shocking though so I decided to repeat the year anyway.

Advertisement