Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cook quality food or order takeaway

• 02-05-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Would you rather cook with quality ingredients and follow a recipe you stumbled upon or spend the same money on a take away.
    I am no cook but every time I get a takeaway I think one the prices are too damn high for a pizza and I never feel good after eating it.
    I much prefer to find a new recipe,buy quality meat/veg and give it a go,at least you know its not junk.
    Anyone else in the same boat ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Your own cooked food will never taste the as good has a take away IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Get a quality takeaway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Sappa wrote: »
    Would you rather cook with quality ingredients and follow a recipe you stumbled upon or spend the same money on a take away.
    I am no cook but every time I get a takeaway I think one the prices are too damn high for a pizza and I never feel good after eating it.
    I much prefer to find a new recipe,buy quality meat/veg and give it a go,at least you know its not junk.

I cook 6/7 days, and fairly decent stuff too. I have alot of favourite recipes that beat the local take aways by a long shot.

But on that 7th day God rested and got a big **** of Kebab with chips and beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Quality self-cooked food all the way.
    It's healthier, tastier, cheaper and more satisfying.

Take-aways are a nice treat but I don't think I could manage to have them too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Depends on how much time, effort and quality you put into it. Sure its not going to be nice if its from the tin and frozen food its not going to be as good but if you make everything from scratch like the sauces and stuff it can be much better than take-away. However, it does take some time to perfect this method. Laziness usually prevails and take away wins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Surely that all depends on your own cooking abilities?

I'd consider myself a competent cook, no more, but I'd have no problem making something tastier than the average take-away, except for take-away dishes whose recipes I wouldn't be familiar with, but I could easily learn them.

You'll find the ingredients in take-away food and the level of attention the cooking is given is not generally too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I can cook and love to eat what I make but recently, because of being really busy with college work etc, I've been eating takeaway crap.

You're right, it doesn't make you feel good.

If you can master a few basics like seasoning and cooking methods, your food will be a million times nicer than any rubbish from a takeaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Imho if you want to be healthy you make your own food at home, you want some excessively tasty stuff that you probably couldnt make at home, takeaway it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pyttipanna aka "Bubble and squeak" is the way to go.
    Just get all kinds of stuff and toss it in a pan and fry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Depends on how much time, effort and quality you put into it. Sure its not going to be nice if its from the tin and frozen food its not going to be as good but if you make everything from scratch like the sauces and stuff it can be much better than take-away. However, it does take some time to perfect this method. Laziness usually prevails and take away wins :D

True - but by the time you buy all the ingredients to prefect a dish (Chinese for example) it works out cheaper just to order! Your also not left with a load of ingredients your must likely not to use again!

Don't get me wrong I cook and prepare my own basic meals 6 days a week but one day a week for a treat is good and the take away always beats any of my dinners :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

90% of take away is complete rubbish. Home cooked food anytime. I even started making pizzas from scratch because you can't get decent one around here (and that includes domino's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I love to cook but usually it's just me and the kids and if they don't eat something that I have slaved over all day it's a bit disheartening. So yea the odd take away is a temptation.

But if I had to choose I would cook from scratch, not a sign of a jar in this house :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

If you don't want to cook, tin of tuna, tin of sweetcorn, mix it all up, an unbeatable combination :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

When i'm home alone , it's take away, but mostly my wife cooks, and her cooking is outstanding, she cooks Chinese, Indian better than any take away.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Some people make me laugh. They give out about ordering a take away...and then go out and make Chips and burgers or something from the kitchen...or a goodfellas... They think that just cause its not a take away it's better for ya.

Palytoxin wrote: »
    If you don't want to cook, tin of tuna, tin of sweetcorn, mix it all up, an unbeatable combination :)

Why do people ruin tasty tuna with sweetcorn?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

KungPao wrote: »

Why do people ruin tasty sweetcorn with tuna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

KungPao wrote: »

HOW DARE YOU!:mad:
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Why do people ruin tasty sweetcorn with tuna?

HOW DARE YOU!:mad:

Ye're so wrong:)

Some people make me laugh. They give out about ordering a take away...and then go out and make Chips and burgers or something from the kitchen...or a goodfellas... They think that just cause its not a take away it's better for ya.
    Yea but at least it tastes nice and takeaways usually don't.

I'm not cooking at home because it's healthier but because it's also nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

analucija wrote: »
    90% of take away is complete rubbish. Home cooked food anytime. I even started making pizzas from scratch because you can't get decent one around here (and that includes domino's).

Dr. Oetker Ristorante pizzas are nicer than any you'll get from a take-away imo. I love cooking but I'd prefer one of those even to a home prepared pizza.

• Advertisement

J
    Dr. Oetker Ristorante pizzas are nicer than any you'll get from a take-away imo. I love cooking but I'd prefer one of those even to a home prepared pizza.
    They are ok. But I was born in a country that borders on Italy and had good access to pizzas. :) Whenever we land in Slovenia my Irish partner and I go somewhere for a pizza (doesn't matter which side of a border, although in Slovenia you have to know where to go). I think you can get great food in a lot of Irish restaurants except for the pizzas. I found some that are ok but none I would really loved.

Don't get the love for Dr. Oetker at all. I bought one for 2 bills on special just the other day and man what a let down. The base was like pastry and the toppings tasted like nothing in particular.

Still, better than a 12" disc of heart disease from Domino's/Four Star.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

People who prefer take aways and who say take aways are way nicer than home cooking simply are unable to cook to a decent level.

If you are good at cooking and enjoy cooking you would rarely get a take away.

Sundays are an ideal take away day, but for me if I'm hungover and have done fcuk all productive all day I enjoy getting up and cooking something like a thai, indian or chinese dish.

Have a look at this thread of dishes cooked by boardsies
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068620&page=413
    ...90% of take aways wouldn't even come close to some of the dishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I don't know if the Skiing resort of Livignio is a good example of italian pizza but I tried a pizza in every restaurant there at one time or another and it ended up as a running joke with the other lads on the holiday about how I rated the Pizza's on the Tesco scale. Ditto with the likes of Milanos here. I dunno if its just a different style of pizza but nothing I have ever had anywhere comes close to a Pizza n Cream pizza in Bray.

Some of the Livignio pizza's were close to a Texco pizza but none surpassed one and I am not a big fan of tesco Pizza's either. Meh!!

Just tried the DR Oetkor after reading about them here. Got the Speciale with Ham, Salami, Pepperoni and Mushroom. For 2 Euro they are a bargain IMHO. Nicest Supermarket bought pizza I ever had and Nicer than anything I had in Livignio in a restaurant or over here bar Pizza n Cream. Pizza n Cream are just in another league entirely though.

Guill wrote: »

I like your first instruction on getting some ribs. The picture of a whole fcukload of ribs would have been meaningless without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

not a chance, all the frozen pizza's may be cheap but they don't come close to takeaway ones. And if they do then there must be something wrong with you local pizza joint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dr. Oetker's pizzas are fine. Nothing special, but the pizzas you buy in the supermarket and cook at home have come on in leaps and bounds in the past 15 years. I remember what passed as "pizzas" here back in the 80s.

Dominos is grossly overpriced, rip off crap. Their pizzas are so-so and atrocious value for what you pay for them. Their "chicken" strippers are reconstituted vile pulp.

The best home delivery pizza I have had to date in Dublin is by the Gourmet Pizza Factory in the Superquinn SC in Blanch village. Very good.

If you are good at cooking (which I'm admittedly not) it's much better to cook and eat at home than get a take away - not just probably healthier but cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

One of the girls I lived with in uni considered putting oven chips and birds eye 'chicken' in the oven cooking. and that was a night when she didn't have pizza or a Chinese!

I used to make most of my meals - fairly basic pasta dishes or stir frys or meat and veg but she considered that to be too much effort! The annoying thing is she has the nicest figure ever and she doesn't work out or anything. Guess it will catch up to her eventually though

• Advertisement

omega666 wrote: »
    not a chance, all the frozen pizza's may be cheap but they don't come close to takeaway ones. And if they do then there must be something wrong with you local pizza joint.

I guess it's just down to personal tastes. I really love the taste and consistency of Ristorante pizzas. Having said that, I've eaten them when cooked by others and I didn't have the same love for them, if it's even slightly overcooked; it's completely ruined.. and slightly under-cooking them makes them doughy and disgusting.

In pizza outlets they nail it every time, but it's not really worth the premium imo. Getting to know your oven saves you a lot of money, whether you're cooking frozen or homemade pizzas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't know if the Skiing resort of Livignio is a good example of italian pizza but I tried a pizza in every restaurant there at one time or another and it ended up as a running joke with the other lads on the holiday about how I rated the Pizza's on the Tesco scale. Ditto with the likes of Milanos here. I dunno if its just a different style of pizza but nothing I have ever had anywhere comes close to a Pizza n Cream pizza in Bray.

Some of the Livignio pizza's were close to a Texco pizza but none surpassed one and I am not a big fan of tesco Pizza's either. Meh!!

Just tried the DR Oetkor after reading about them here. Got the Speciale with Ham, Salami, Pepperoni and Mushroom. For 2 Euro they are a bargain IMHO. Nicest Supermarket bought pizza I ever had and Nicer than anything I had in Livignio in a restaurant or over here bar Pizza n Cream. Pizza n Cream are just in another league entirely though.

You must have been unlucky. Livigino is more of a tourist resort anyway, it wouldn't be known for its food!! (I've been there too)

I had pizza in restaurants in Rome, Milan, Sorrento and Venice. Most of the pizzas served over here are not a patch on what you'd get in an authentic Italian restaurant!

The muck milano's serve doesn't even deserve to be called pizza, they barely put anything on it and it's so over priced. Don't want to come off as snobby here, I'll eat ristorante and dominos etc as well but authentic Italian pizza cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

You can control the ingredients. You can pretty much make anything healthy within reason. Use sweet potato for chips, turkey or lean beef mince on a George foreman for a burger and use wheat flour and cottage cheese to make your own pizza base. You control the toppings. The cheese and salted meats are the big calorie contributors in pizzas. Obviously you wouldn't be making them everyday. If you ate them instead of anytime you were going to order fast food It would be a far healthier alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

*Thinks lovingly about the pork belly he has in the fridge ready to slow cook for a few hours tomorrow and eat and then possibly roll around in the leftovers*

Home cooked ftw.

EDIT: In regards to home/frozen/oven pizzas Chicago Takeaway pizza is really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Slovenia ....

Hey, completely off topic but I have an American friend from a Slovenian background visiting me over the summer. Proud as punch of his heritage so I would love to bring him to a Slovenian restaurant in Ireland or even a restaurant with some Slovenian style cuisine. Is there such a place?

If not, is there a place I could purchase some Slovenian beer or wine in Dublin?

I know little or nothing about Slovenia, so any advice would be most welcome.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

galwayrush wrote: »
    When i'm home alone , it's take away, but mostly my wife cooks, and her cooking is outstanding, she cooks Chinese, Indian better than any take away.
    :cool:

Love a good Indian take out. But then I worked with a load of Indian chefs that cooked up a dish for all the staff when they were finishing up. Foook me, that took my love for Indian food to the next level.

Home made Indian food, cooked up by someone who knows what they are doing, is unbelievable. No cuisine comes close to it. Amazing nosh.

Good people, Indians.

Love the ould whiskey! Whiskey and curry, not a good combo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Sappa wrote: »
    Depends how pissed I am!:D

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I love a good curry from the indian. They know what their doing. Good hot curry, can't beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Take away's are a very expensive way to feed yourself. On occasion I get a Chinese, it's just me and so it's dinner for one usually costing about €12 now for that money €12, I can buy a fair amount of quality food so therefore I think you are better off going that route.

Firstly you know what you are getting and what goes into your dinner and secondly your yoyo will go a bit further.

Take away is fine as an occasional treat but as an every day thing, no! (Also very fattening and the HSE hasn't got the money for extra heart surgery)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I prefer cooking my own food but a nice take away from time to time is unbeatable if you just want to sit down and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

IrishAm wrote: »
    Hey, completely off topic but I have an American friend from a Slovenian background visiting me over the summer. Proud as punch of his heritage so I would love to bring him to a Slovenian restaurant in Ireland or even a restaurant with some Slovenian style cuisine. Is there such a place?

If not, is there a place I could purchase some Slovenian beer or wine in Dublin?

Both times I went to Slovenia (Soca Valley) the restaurants served very simple food like pasta carbonara, goulash, dumplings with Gorgonzola, pizza, chips etc. A lot of German/Austrian influenced things like brathworst or wienerschnitzel but it was a touristy area and might not be a good representation of what Slovenians eat. One popular 'native' dish was Civachicci (no idea how to spell it sorry!) which is a sort of cutlet made from seasoned minced pork. kind of like little meat-loafs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Take-aways when I'm too intoxicated or don't have enough time to make proper food. Otherwise I make it myself.

Slovenia ....

There is a Balkan style grill in Moore street mall. They have burek, Cevapi that truley mentioned, stews etc.

No chance for finding Slovenian beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Takeaway when in a rush, or cant be arsed.

Made a pot of food on Sunday evening, got three meals out of it, having the last of them today. Monday, made another pot, three meals, having the last of them tomorrow. Last night pizza and garlic cooked in oven, tonight fish and chips tonight from oven. Enough food still left in fridge to make some homemade pasta on saturday.

Total cost of all incredients would not have bought 3 takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

try Porterhouse for a chance to get Slovenian beer, they have quite a broad selection of international beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I love cooking, so my own food all the way. Im not a fan of junk food, and without meaning any harm I can be a bit of an interfering cow when it comes to people I care about and what they eat. The closest a food is to its natural state the better it is for you, so I try to avoid tins or jars of anything. I've even begun growing my own fruit and veg, I just have to convince the dog to leave the stuff alone >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abi wrote: »
    I love cooking, so my own food all the way. Im not a fan of junk food, and without meaning any harm I can be a bit of an interfering cow when it comes to people I care about and what they eat. The closest a food is to its natural state the better it is for you, so I try to avoid tins or jars of anything. I've even begun growing my own fruit and veg, I just have to convince the dog to leave the stuff alone >_>[/QUOTE]

Eating it or pissing on it??? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GordonCole

Bacon, super-crispy. Almost burned. Cremated. That's great

Truley wrote: »
    Both times I went to Slovenia (Soca Valley) the restaurants served very simple food like pasta carbonara, goulash, dumplings with Gorgonzola, pizza, chips etc. A lot of German/Austrian influenced things like brathworst or wienerschnitzel but it was a touristy area and might not be a good representation of what Slovenians eat. One popular 'native' dish was Civachicci (no idea how to spell it sorry!) which is a sort of cutlet made from seasoned minced pork. kind of like little meat-loafs.

Just a quick reply, there are no Slovenian restaurants in Ireland or anywhere else, there are very few restaurants that serve good Slovenian food in Slovenia. Most of it is cooked at home. There are different influences, from Italian, Austrian, Hungarian and Balkan food (cevapcici and similar barbecue food are actually Serbian and popped up in Slovenia in 20th century). Restaurants tend to be hit and miss and usually if they can't make a decent espresso then forget about the food there. That is especially true for the places near Austrian border.

Anyway you won't find any Slovenian food and don't bother with Slovenian beer but you can try to find slovenian wine which is often very good but produced in small quantities. It will be hard to find anything under 15 Euro. Here is the link to one of the stockists.

http://www.cabotandco.com/index.php?page=home

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Used to go to the takeaway a lot but I got really fat so cut back to about once a month. Home cooking does take time and there is not much fun in cooking for one. However mastering a few basic recipes from scratch will in the long run be kinder to your pocket and waistline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kfallon wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »
    I love cooking, so my own food all the way. Im not a fan of junk food, and without meaning any harm I can be a bit of an interfering cow when it comes to people I care about and what they eat. The closest a food is to its natural state the better it is for you, so I try to avoid tins or jars of anything. I've even begun growing my own fruit and veg, I just have to convince the dog to leave the stuff alone >_>
    ]

Eating it or pissing on it??? :pac:
    Both I'd say :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement