Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cook quality food or order takeaway

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

superblu wrote: »
    Used to go to the takeaway a lot but I got really fat so cut back to about once a month. Home cooking does take time and there is not much fun in cooking for one. However mastering a few basic recipes from scratch will in the long run be kinder to your pocket and waistline.

Home cooking is much quicker than take aways.

A stir fry involves 5 minutes of chopping veg and meat and between 5-10 minutes of cooking.

That's 15 mins in total, the quickest any take away is likely to take is 45 mins or so.

Also if you are cooking for one, then just prepare dishes that can be portioned up and frozen.

I bought mince, bolognese sauce, mushroom, onions, carrots and spaghetti yesterday for 8euro. Made six portions which can be frozen. That's €1.35 for a big portion and way tastier than any muck you are likely to be served in any of the bollix irish-italian restaurants over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Dr. Oetker Ristorante pizzas are nicer than any you'll get from a take-away imo. I love cooking but I'd prefer one of those even to a home prepared pizza.
    I love the Dr. Oetket pizza too. I usually add a few pieces of chorizo and maybe a bit of chilli pepper to the topping when putting it into the oven. It really livens them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I prefer home cooked food(I'm an average cook at best, so it's never spectacular, but decent). I do order takeaway when I'm feeling particularly lazy and have some cash to throw about, though.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Take-aways when I'm too intoxicated or don't have enough time to make proper food. Otherwise I make it myself.

No offense mate, but this really doesn't do it for me at all. I'm not particularly fond of well done steak, and even then, 20+ mins for a well done steak is waaaaay over the top(although admittedly he did say at a low temperature. I know steak & eggs is a big thing too, but I've never been too fond of it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abi wrote: »
    Both I'd say :D

The durty bollix! He'd prob say he's only 'seasoning' it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Home cooking is much quicker than take aways.

A stir fry involves 5 minutes of chopping veg and meat and between 5-10 minutes of cooking.

That's 15 mins in total, the quickest any take away is likely to take is 45 mins or so.

Also if you are cooking for one, then just prepare dishes that can be portioned up and frozen.

I bought mince, bolognese sauce, mushroom, onions, carrots and spaghetti yesterday for 8euro. Made six portions which can be frozen. That's €1.35 for a big portion and way tastier than any muck you are likely to be served in any of the bollix irish-italian restaurants over here.

Swap the bolognese sauce for some tinned tomatos, tomato puree, and some mixed herbs, and it would have been tastier, and even cheeper. Plus the tube of tomato puree and herbs can be stored and used again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

the_syco wrote: »
    Take-aways when I'm too intoxicated or don't have enough time to make proper food. Otherwise I make it myself.

Hmmm, steak and egg is my favorite sandwich and about the only sandwich I get a strong craving for. My method is slightly different but the end result is the same, hmmm.

Advertisement