Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dad

Options
  • 02-05-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I just became a new dad. Was off work for 6 days wife feeling not well after birth. My employers says i have to take 6 days holidays. Dose anyone know am i entitled to some parental time off with or without pay.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could take parental leave or look in to force majure leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

you have not statutory right to time off as a father, but there might be something in your employment contract? or there might be a precedent in your job.
    you can take force majure in certain cases, take a look at the citizens advice or social welfare websites for info, but parental leave must be booked in advance and has conditions attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And if you're civil service, there are two days of paternity leave you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Your employer is being a jerk but unfortunately is within his rights to require you take holidays.

Paternity Leave - i.e. none.
    Parental Leave - 14 weeks but 6 weeks notice required of intent to take it.

The only other option is force majeure leave.
    "It arises where, for urgent family reasons, the immediate presence of the employee is indispensable owing to an injury or illness of a close family member."
    It's a maximum of 3 days in rolling 12 month period and 5 days in 3 years.

If your employer insists (on being a jerk) then you will still have to take 3 further days annual leave I'm afraid on top of the three days force majeure.

Congrats on your new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hey my husband had an issue like this when i had my first as he was the first man in the office to become a dad so he went to his employer saying he knew that it was a pain on the other staff that they had to cover his work but he couldnt help it and that in the future he was sure other men in the office would be in the same situation and that a policy should be put in place. In the end he had taken 10 days off as i was in icu for 6 days after birth. The company agreed to pay him for 3 days take three day force majure leave and the rest as unpaid leave or holidays and the policy was put in place that the company would pay for 3 days when any man become a father and if there was any compliciations force majure leave came into play adn they could take unpaid leave up to 10day i think before having to use holidays. After all that I would suggest you talk to to your employer and play on their emotions. Also congrats on becoming a dad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement