Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chorizo sausages

Options
  • 02-05-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advise. I made a fish dish which included a potato and chorizo salad. My problem is that my chorizo was very tough and chewy when cooked. Is it suppose to b like this or did I cook it wrong. Hope someone can help. Thanks!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

When we cook with Chorizo, we buy it from Marks & Spencer - it definately is a meatier sausage than most (85% meat) and consequently it certainly has much more of a 'bite' to it, but I certainly wouldnt call it tough.......where do you buy your chorizo from ???

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mrtayto1

Lidl. I was wondering if I had cut them too thick. Should they be really thin or do you think that make any difference. We loved the taste and they gave a lovely flavour to the potatoes . Maybe i should buy them somewhere else and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

How thick they are really is a matter of preference, perhaps you didn't remove the skin which made it a bit tougher? It's dry cured meat so it's always gonna have a bite to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I use Chorizo I dice mine small, theres nothing worse than a big ignorant lump of Chorizo staring up at you in a dish.
    FWIW I like Aldi Chorizo better than the Lidl one.
    Aldi Chorizo is actually Spanish not German like the Lidl one.
    Plus there is two types a spicy and a mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ditto to what CJ said, although one of the nicest ones i've had in ireland is the tesco finest, but the aldi one is definitely better than the lidl one.

another thing is to not overcook it or let it burn in the pan as i find it gets quite a bitter or somretimes soapy taste, depending on where you've bought it.

i tend to cook it on a very low heat to render out the fat and then take it out of the pan to rest and cook everything else with it's juices before adding it back to the dish right at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The ready to eat, cured chorizo is best not cooked. There is a raw chorizo that must be cooked but it's not widely sold outside Spain - you might find it if you can find a Spanish deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I much prefer the raw chorizo. I brought some back from madrid the last time i visited and used the last few from the freezer last week, the dried ones just don't compare.I have never seen them in the Republic. Asda in the north do a "Cooking" chorizo which is closer to what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 to the raw chorizo. It's cured with a view to being eaten after it's been cooked whereas most of the chorizo sold is ready to eat. It's recognisable by being much squishier than the ready-to-eat type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have cooked with the Chorizo from Lidl and it does go hard quite quickly. Its designed to be eaten as it is, not cooked. As has been said, raw chorizo or a softer chorizo is better for cooking.

Having said that, I have used it quite a few times, when I have had no other chorizo in the house. Fry it quite gently and its OK.

But, if you like using chorizo, it is worth looking for a better quality one for cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to establish whether the recipe calls for a fresh chorizo sausage or a dried one. The former must be cooked before eating and is a highly seasoned equivalent of a standard banger. The latter is a sausage preserved by drying and which can be eaten without cooking. Where it is cooked, it can be included in a stew or casserole (where it will soften somewhat as it absorbs moisture) or it can be quick fried (such as with a pasta sauce) where it will generally be crispier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This explains a lot. I had barbecued Chorizo in Argentine years ago which was quite hot and strongly seasoned. I then recently couldn't find pepperoni for a homemade pizza so picked up some sliced chorizo in Tesco, this turned out to be a poor substitute with no kick to it at all and was more like a salty luncheon roll.

thank you all so much for your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

presumably it is better to chop and use the whole sausages rather than the pre sliced (thin) chorizo ?? Or is there a difference

presumably it is better to chop and use the whole sausages rather than the pre sliced (thin) chorizo ?? Or is there a difference

I presume you mean the chorizo that you buy sliced thin enough to make sandwiches with.
    It would be too thin to fry. It would burn in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

agreed, totally different and better suited to sarnies or pizza.

thanks again for all your advise. i gave that recipe another go and it was much better.

mrtayto1 wrote: »
    thanks again for all your advise. i gave that recipe another go and it was much better.

Did you buy better chorizo or use the Lidl one and fry it less.

If you did buy different chorizo, what did you buy ?

Advertisement