Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on protecting car in garage

Options
  • 02-05-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

My car was vandalised twice in the parking garage of my apartment block.

I strongly suspect the person who did it but of course have no evidence. After the first act of vandalism (deep key scratches on 3 sides of car while I was on holidays), I bought a protective cover which people use for long term storage. Yesterday, a week after I bought the cover, I find the car vandalised again with deep key scratches on the driver door window and front windshield... the part of the protective cover which can be easily unzipped.

Could someone recommend a battery powered motion operated video camera I could place somewhere in the garage near the car? I have no power source in the garage, cannot run a cable to be the basement and cannot have a wifi video camera (my wifi network doesn't reach the garage) so that rules out everything I have found on ebay.

Any advice or ideas? I am getting quite desperate and don't have any alternative parking options without making my life a daily misery (at the same time it kills me to see my car getting keyed with nothing I can do about it). My insurance won't cover it and the local police (I'm living in Belgium now) doesn't care much at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

How about this:
    A car alarm with microwave detector that activates when someone approaches vehicle. May be suitable if garage is busy to get attention of other people or to scare off intruder.
    More sophisticated option includes GSM module and a camera. Scenario - when alarm activates, camera is on and recording plus you'll get an email with snapshot. Otherwise leaving camera on all the time will require a big battery. In general it may be hard to get good evidence because camera has to be focused on face, therefore one camera will do the job only if you park somewhere in corner with only 1 way to approach car. I assume that there is enough light and you don't need IR.
    Let me know how much you want to spend, because to get it right may not be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have used a wildlife camera called the Scoutguard. It a movement triggered camera that operates on batteries and records video or still pictures. Great piece of kit but you'd need to be sure the vandal can't see it as they'd probably nick it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Depending on your budget maplin might suit you:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/cctv-and-security/covert-and-mobile-surveillance/covert-spy-equipment

Don't expect to clearly see their face with the cheap ones though.

Advertisement